PDA

View Full Version : All right, this is bothering me and I want to know what you guys think.

Tobin Dax
2007-Jul-13, 06:59 AM
It's rare for me to start a thread here, but I really want opinions and/or advice, and the timescale and diversity available here fits my needs.

I'm trying to sublet my current apartment for the next school year, since I renewed my lease in December when asked to. (I'm moving to Kentucky in two weeks for a job.) I posted an ad on Craigslist, and one of the people who responded says he's interested in the apartment, but he is also asking to know about me. He did tell me a little about himself, but the request is enough to put me on edge. How would you respond? (Or how should I, if you think I should?)

Now, I haven't thought this completely through yet, so this is a kind of a train-of-thought post. There are a few details that anyone could find about me on the internet (school, subject I'm studying, an interest or two), and I could tell him that type of thing. I'm just paranoid enough that I don't like the request. I don't see how it's relevant to renting the apartment. The fact that he's currently overseas isn't helping me trust him more.

I do have two other people who I think are likely to take the apartment, and I did tell this guy (truthfully) that he was in line behind them. I just don't know how I should respond, and his insistance on information about myself just feels like a red flag. What do you guys think about this situation?

Tog
2007-Jul-13, 07:23 AM
Being rather paranoid and cynical myself, the first thing that popped to mind was that he wanted feel for who you were to be sure that he wouldn't be getting scary people banging on the door at 3 in the morning looking for "stuff".

The second thing was that he want to know more about you so that when those pre-approved credit card applications show up with your name on them, he knows how to fill them out.

It might be a scary thing, or it might might not. He may be having the same misgivings about renting a house from a stranger, and just wants to know that you won't be moving back in a month and kick him out.

I'd say of you feel a bit bothered by it, run with those feelings and see just what sort of stuff he wants to know. Give him something basic, that just about anyone could really know, but leave out any mention of friends or family in the area. You have no siblings but are not an only child sort of thing.

Whirlpool
2007-Jul-13, 07:57 AM
Or he wants to know what kind of person you are , because it will reflect how you took care of your apartment.

Or he wants to check if you are a good housekeeper < not the maid thingy > or not just some guy who uses his apartment for something else besides sleeping .<shrug>

Moose
2007-Jul-13, 04:45 PM
I suppose it depends on what sort of information this guy is looking for and/or how the request was phrased, but as you've expressed it, it would raise a red flag in my mind. In my mind, the out-of-country thing isn't helping, either.

Honestly, you're the person at the scene and the very best judge of what's going on. If your instincts are lighting off about this guy, even a little, it's not wrong to take the appropriate precautions, or even reject this person outright as a sub-letter in favor of others.

Your personal life is irrelevant to this transaction. If his concern is about cleanliness of the area or the safety/quietness of your neighborhood, that's information he's entitled to. But he should ask direct questions.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Jul-13, 05:33 PM
Could have sworn I posted to this earlier. Anyway, what Moose said.

Stick to business matters only. Better yet to steer clear. If they are not a con, they are at the least probably going to be high maintenance.

Tobin Dax
2007-Jul-14, 12:06 AM
Thanks, all, for the replies. Especially Don, since the high maintenance part hadn't occured to me yet.

I was hoping to hear from the guy that came by yesterday by now, but I haven't. Moose says pretty much what I've been thinking. (You'd be amazed at how many people ask for "more information" about the place and no specifics, though.) I'm going to give it the weekend and see if the other two get back to me.