PDA

View Full Version : Even P.T. Barnum couldn't have made a circus out of what CNN tried this morning.

BigDon
2007-Jul-16, 12:30 AM
MAN STRUCK BY LIGHTING WHILE WEARING IPOD

Then they roll the footage and they show some kid telling how he was hit while mowing his lawn amongst some tall trees on his property during a lightning storm, while wearing an ipod.

My head hurts.

And on that note I found a youtube section doing a very accurate portrayal of "cnn" reporting on the Normandy invasion. (7 minute video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_XBJHrs4I

I thought you would all like that. Personally I thought from the beginning there should have a two week delay in news from any war front for just the reasons we've been seeing. In WWII it was four weeks.

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-16, 01:25 AM
MAN STRUCK BY LIGHTING WHILE WEARING IPOD

Then they roll the footage and they show some kid telling how he was hit while mowing his lawn amongst some tall trees on his property during a lightning storm, while wearing an ipod.

My head hurts.I first saw this meme developing yesterday, on Wired I think. People wearing (iPod) headphones are hit by lightning and a "Y" is burnt into their chest. CNN probably picked it up, and chased down a victim.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-16, 01:26 AM

Bet he got a charge out of it.
He got all charged up.
What an electrfying expereince.
what a shocking story.

snarkophilus
2007-Jul-16, 02:12 AM
I recall this exact same story when the Sony Walkman (and related cassette-based portable music players) first came out. A jogger got hit by lightning and fried his ears somewhat. This was followed by extensive admonishments not to use a walkman while jogging, camping, et cetera.

(It's not just CNN. There's an AP article, and I have little doubt that every other American network has covered it, too. Complete with their own experts dispensing dire warnings.)

I wonder if this stuff happened in the boom box era, also. Or if knights were ever told to avoid chain mail during thunderstorms. Or if Loki was ever warned about carrying a sword while hanging out with Thor.

ZappBrannigan
2007-Jul-16, 05:35 AM
And on that note I found a youtube section doing a very accurate portrayal of "cnn" reporting on the Normandy invasion. (7 minute video)

I've seen better acting in a 4th grade play. Better political commentary, too.

Glom
2007-Jul-16, 07:32 AM
What's the matter? Mobile phones not terrifying enough these days? I thought wi-fi was all the rage for techno-doom stories at the moment.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-16, 12:59 PM
I could have sworn I posted a reference to this last week, but I can't find it. :think:

Anyway, EVERYBODY, seems to be picking up on this story. I've seen it on the major networks, the locals, and even a story on the Weather Channel. (like snarkophilus says)

Without the ipod, the lightning would have passed safely on the skin's surface? Sorry, but people die with lightning strikes, maybe not all, but enough to make a bad burn seem minor.

Glom
2007-Jul-16, 01:04 PM
Nothing on Auntie.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-16, 01:08 PM
Oh; BTW... What about zippers? :wall:

Swift
2007-Jul-16, 01:21 PM
And this just in...
"Man Shot By Gunman While Wearing Pants. Authorities advise everyone to take their pants off."

Fazor
2007-Jul-16, 01:53 PM
I could have sworn I posted a reference to this last week, but I can't find it. :think:

Anyway, EVERYBODY, seems to be picking up on this story. I've seen it on the major networks, the locals, and even a story on the Weather Channel. (like snarkophilus says)

Without the ipod, the lightning would have passed safely on the skin's surface? Sorry, but people die with lightning strikes, maybe not all, but enough to make a bad burn seem minor.

I think we were talking about a different (but in every way exactly the same) story in one of our anti-media threads. It was about a jogger who got struck by lightning while wearing one.

I love it when real life mirrors the Simpsons (okay so it's the other way arround). See "Bear Patrol" episode.

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

From SNPP.com (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F20.html)

One of my favorite Simpsons moments, as it's so applicable to things you see everyday

Glom
2007-Jul-16, 02:20 PM
Isn't a lawnmower rather metallic? Would that not be acting as a lightning rod? I'm sure mowing the lawn during a lightning storm is not considered adviseable a lot of the time anyway.

Doodler
2007-Jul-16, 03:36 PM
Oh; BTW... What about zippers? :wall:

I'd stick them in the category with body piercings, which just might save your caboose. A girl in the UK got fzappped a couple years back. Hit her nose ring, arced to her navel, then grounded out through her shoes (with some kind of metal decoration).

Noclevername
2007-Jul-16, 03:39 PM
"Next on CNN, a man wearing an iPod jumps into a bonfire and gets burned; are iPods a fire hazard?"

Maksutov
2007-Jul-16, 03:43 PM
Next on Larry King: Person dies. Is life a hazard? Live interview.

Hokie
2007-Jul-16, 04:06 PM
Apple really should come up with a better charging method.

JohnW
2007-Jul-16, 04:39 PM
So what did it sound like?

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-16, 04:48 PM
Apple really should come up with a better charging method.

:lol::clap::D

So what did it sound like?
Well, this lady (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288380,00.html) would have thought it sounded like a freight train.

CNN could probably stretch that story into "ipods cause a burning foot sensation".

"My feet are on fire," she told Tony Long, a battalion chief for Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue, who responded to the scene. "Do you think you can put the fire out? They're really hurting."

Maksutov
2007-Jul-16, 05:05 PM
:lol::clap::D[edit]Well, this lady (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288380,00.html) would have thought it sounded like a freight train.

CNN could probably stretch that story into "ipods cause a burning foot sensation".
"My feet are on fire," she told Tony Long, a battalion chief for Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue, who responded to the scene. "Do you think you can put the fire out? They're really hurting."She obviously needs a visit from John Madden with his fast-actin' Tinactin! (http://www.tinactin.com/) Now tougher than before!

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-16, 05:41 PM
From SNPP.com (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F20.html)

One of my favorite Simpsons moments, as it's so applicable to things you see everydayI'm willing to bet that Lisa said "specious reasoning" not "spacious reasoning" :)

SeanF
2007-Jul-16, 06:22 PM
I'm willing to bet that Lisa said "specious reasoning" not "spacious reasoning" :)
Now you're just be facatious. :hand:

;)

Swift
2007-Jul-16, 06:24 PM
I'm willing to bet that Lisa said "specious reasoning" not "spacious reasoning" :)
No, her reasoning was full of wide open spaces. :doh:

hhEb09'1
2007-Jul-16, 06:28 PM
She was talking about Homer's, so you might be right :)

but knowing Lisa, I doubt it

Noclevername
2007-Jul-16, 07:12 PM
I'd stick them in the category with body piercings, which just might save your caboose. A girl in the UK got fzappped a couple years back. Hit her nose ring, arced to her navel, then grounded out through her shoes (with some kind of metal decoration).

Good thing she was leaning forward then and not back, or her heart would've been right in the path of the current.

BigDon
2007-Jul-16, 08:05 PM
The board keeps dumping me. This is my fifth attempt.

Doodler -AAAAchoooo! Excuse me, I'm allergic to **. I'm not saying you made it up. A lightening bolt would consume a nosering like an exposed lightbulb filiment. I've seen folks hit by lightening. I'll tell the story later today in another thread. Now maybe if she was working on powered equipment and arced something...

Neo - Now that is a real danger. I live near train tracks. Played around them when I was a kid. You really need your ears open, especially on a multitrack line where you might have several idle engines and cars blocking your view. And the fact that she was already experiencing phantom pain is very very bad. They may have to amputate her legs higher up to make it stop. And that only works sometimes.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-16, 08:12 PM
Neo - Now that is a real danger. I live near train tracks. Played around them when I was a kid. You really need your ears open...
Yep; and people don't realize this. It seems like train accidents are getting a lot more common. (Or; at least I'm hearing more about it)

I was more going on the iPod angle of the story...

Doodler
2007-Jul-16, 08:31 PM
To Don.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/3047436.stm

Not the one I was referring to, but a similar case. Another kid was reportedly hit in the chest by lightning that blew a tongue stud out of his mouth.

I clearly remember the story mentioning her being arced outside of her body though.

tofu
2007-Jul-16, 08:38 PM

that was actually pretty good. It's so easy to criticize, second-guess, and focus on the negative, and that's all that modern news networks do. If CNN had been around during WWII, I doubt very seriously that the allies would have won. Who would want to continue fighting with such negative coverage - even though everything "reported" in that video was historically accurate, it painted such a gloomy picture that people watching it would be out in the streets chanting "peace now"

The people who made that video should do another one about the battle of Coral Sea and make it seem like the US lost, and have people demanding Nimitz's resignation.

Moose
2007-Jul-16, 08:44 PM
I'm suspecting shenanigans. Mythbusters tested this. They concluded that piercings didn't affect the path of lightning unless the (stainless steel) piercing was the size of a doorknob. There's so much juice in lightning that it doesn't need that "path of least resistance".

The iPod probably conducted some of the strike before it failed, and it probably did some extra damage at the contact points, but it wasn't the main path nor was it the attractor.

BigDon
2007-Jul-16, 09:11 PM
Yep; and people don't realize this. It seems like train accidents are getting a lot more common. (Or; at least I'm hearing more about it)

I was more going on the iPod angle of the story...

Ah but you see, ipods deafen you to the outside world. The one that will kill you if you aren't paying attention. I would NEVER wear headphones outside. Your ears are your "eyes in the back of your head".

Well its 10 after 2 pm local. Sick or not I guess its time to get out of my pajamas. (Bad cold)

Fazor
2007-Jul-16, 09:12 PM

LoL sorry, didn't catch that. I just copied and pasted from SNPP.com. Although, there's a lot of room for improvement in that type of reasoning...ergo it could be considered spacious. I tried. :) ("d'oh!")

Maksutov
2007-Jul-16, 09:58 PM
Re the original post:
MAN STRUCK BY LIGHTING WHILE WEARING IPOD....Guess the effect would depend on the lighting's power supplies and whether or not ground-fault breakers were part of the circuitry.

mike alexander
2007-Jul-17, 11:21 PM
So, finally we have a real explanation for Harry Potter's scar.

BigDon
2007-Jul-18, 02:12 AM
Thank you Mak. Amazing what leaving out an "en" can do to a sentence.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-18, 06:54 AM
Thank you Mak. Amazing what leaving out an "en" can do to a sentence.Or even an "n"!

In the former case, one could be left with a setce.

Then Gillianren might step in and...well, let's not go there.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif