PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed with space daily

Beaver
2003-Jun-29, 01:36 PM
NASA has expanded our knowledge of the universe. This is a worthy endeavor. However, NASA, if it is to remain relevant, must redirect its energies to goals that produce tangible benefits for America

Once, the self-sustaining critical mass of private enterprise in space is achieved, NASA can return to a mission of science and exploration.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-03zr.html

This is pure idiocy, if Nasa is turned soley into billion dallar profits do you think the profiteers would just give that up and go back to science for the sake of science.

America is engaged in the second phase of its first "Energy War" in our "liberation" of Iraq. Our country is dependent on the finite residual "goo" of this planet's long dead primordial life to fuel our economy. This dependence has driven us into a headlong collision with Islam's faltering lurch towards modernity. The results have been disastrous for both.

So the moslem world is "faltering towards modernity" because it does not give the States the oil at a price they want?

dgruss23
2003-Jun-29, 02:30 PM
Wow! There are many points I disagree with in that essay!! :evil: That one borders on just plain ignorance.

NASA has expanded our knowledge of the universe. This is a worthy endeavor. However, NASA, if it is to remain relevant, must redirect its energies to goals that produce tangible benefits for America. As a taxpayer with a vision of mankind in space, I am more interested in "getting out there" than studying it from afar. The universe will be there when we get there. All the big questions will still get answered.

This one is just plain stupid. Yeah, lets shut down the HST, Chandra, and so on because that's not getting us "out there". Does he have a concept of both the technology and expense involved in colonizing the Moon? He starts the essay by proposing that NASA has been wasting billions on "pure science" and then proposes we engage in colonizing projects that will cost even more!
:roll:

Kaptain K
2003-Jun-30, 03:23 AM
So the moslem world is "faltering towards modernity" because it does not give the States the oil at a price they want?
One of us misread that. For much of the world, the U.S has been a beacon, showing the way and leading by example. Now, much of the world (Muslim and otherwise) sees the U.S. as the schoolyard bully who beats up those who disagree or refuse to kowtow.

kilopi
2003-Jun-30, 09:30 AM
Isn't that just an opinion piece anyway? Is that necessarily representative of the entire Space Daily?

dgruss23
2003-Jun-30, 12:10 PM
Isn't that just an opinion piece anyway? Is that necessarily representative of the entire Space Daily?

Yes - it says so at the top of the article. I lusually ike the space daily articles, but that particular opinion piece is terrible IMO. It might be better to title this thread "Unimpressive opinion piece at Space Daily."

kilopi
2003-Jun-30, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that was my point. Space Daily has made a little splash here, advertising its bulletin board. When I saw this thread, I thought it was about that BB.