PDA

View Full Version : Cowpower to horsepower

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-16, 05:10 PM
All Aboard The Cow Train (http://discovermagazine.com/2006/may/methane-fuel)

Natural gas from the manure of about 30 cows powers a train.

Good...
- Environmentally better than other alternatives.
- Utilizing a waste product.
But...

Until recently, only cow manure and other farm waste fueled this process. This summer, however, Svensk found a way to use the whole heifer. Now the company chops up the cows and converts their guts, fat, and bones into an organic sludge
I really do hope they are talking about those animals that have no hope in entering the food chain, and are already being destroyed by other means.

I think this might need a little more explaination. I'm not saying that they don't have anything to brag about, just that the story is only skin deep.

Otherwise, how much is being spent to raise a cow for its methane?

And why is this processing of the cow so newsworthy? Isn't just about any organic waste able to be converted to methane?

And, what are the byproducts of this slurry?

Trebuchet
2007-Jul-16, 09:08 PM
The article is very poorly written but I think they mean the parts that aren't valuable as meat after the cow is slaughtered are converted to methane. This almost belongs in the "bad reporting" thread -- it appears to me the writer took a press release that was originally in Swedish, used a computer to translate it, and made it a story without giving it any thought at all as to what it actually meant.

captain swoop
2007-Jul-16, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately by the time you get all the cows on the train, theres no room for the passengers.