PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother balck hole question

Sever
2003-Jun-29, 10:37 PM
Are there such things as whiteholes? or is this a misconseption? Is it even possible?

Vermonter
2003-Jun-29, 11:01 PM
Whitehole? I've never heard of such a concept. Perhaps a very hot star? It couldn't be like a black hole, because the light they emit is drawn back into the star.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-29, 11:04 PM
Whiteholes are supossed to be the opposite of black holes (hence the term "white") so they probably wouldn't be white. They are suppossed to spit out anything that gets pulled into a blackhole. They have not been observed and the theory isn't accepted by many.

Sever
2003-Jun-29, 11:08 PM
A whitehole is a point where the matter consumed by a black hole is expelled.

informant
2003-Jun-30, 11:59 AM
If I'm not mistaken, white holes were a hypothesis proposed to explain quasars, back when quasars were discovered, but this explanation has since been rebuted by the evidence.

wedgebert
2003-Jun-30, 06:00 PM
A whitehole is a point where the matter consumed by a black hole is expelled.

Except that everything a black hole consumes is added to the black hole.

I doubt a whitehole could exist, because even if you found a substance that exerted an anti-gravitational force, what would keep it together?

ToSeek
2003-Jun-30, 07:42 PM
A white hole is a black hole running backwards in time. (http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww.html)

Allowed in relativity, though not in thermodynamics.

tracer
2003-Jun-30, 11:59 PM
According to one edition of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe in the late 1980s, the eyes of Cyclops (Scot Summers from the X-Men) were supposed to be white holes to another universe, which is why his optic blasts never seemed to run out of power.

Though how someone could develop a pair of white holes in his head just because he had a genetic mutation, only Stan Lee could tell us.