PDA

View Full Version : I can see it coming- "environmental quilt"

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-Jul-19, 02:20 PM
Does anyone else have a bad feeling that "environmental quilt" is fast becoming a fad? By this I mean....is it going to become fashionable (already is fashionable) to criticize others for how they live and what footprint they live on the environment? It is already happening with celebrities/those who claim to be friends to teh environment, how long before the rest of us? They did an episode on Southpark about this very thing....btw.

Argos
2007-Jul-19, 02:25 PM
I donŽt feel guilt of any kind. I would never feel guilty about what the robber barons, great corporations, bad governments have done to the environment in the last 150 years. IŽll keep taking my 40-minute bath of near-boil water. :)

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-Jul-19, 02:28 PM
yes....but watch and see if someone doesn't try to make you feel bad about it

Glom
2007-Jul-19, 03:07 PM
You're absolutely right. It's oppressive over here. You have bags going on sale captioned with some proclamation of not being some environmentally damaging thing whatever. "I'm not a plastic bag." Or something like that.

The corollary to that though is that some other people are selling similar bags captioned "I'm not a smug twat."

The obnoxiousness of the whole thing is overbearing. And of course, with such attitudes becoming so establishment, breaking this moral code itself becomes fashionable. People drive their SUVs as a protest against the Mean People.

Fazor
2007-Jul-19, 03:58 PM
It's hard to guilt anyone over the age of 10 into doing anything anyway. Generally (of course depends on personality) trying to do so will instead invoke a defensive hostile reaction. Of course, it also depends on the relationship between the two parties--my g/f can guilt me into doing just about anything (still invokes the defensive, aggrevated mindset, but haveta keep it under control unless I want to sleep on the couch ;)). But if a stranger tried to guilt me into anything...well, it just wouldn't work.

This particularly holds true on trendy issues, such as the one discussed in the OP. Many people will do the opposite of the trend, simply because they don't like to be part of the "popular" crowd. I'm one of those people, although unlike many I don't feel my anti-popular tendancies make me unique. It's part of the duality of society--fit the popular image, or reject it.

And honestly, most people, from the spiked-up leather glad goths and "emo" kids to the walking Abercrombie-billboards, have tendencies on both sides of the fence.

Swift
2007-Jul-19, 04:50 PM
I don't think it is a fad - I don't think it is all that common (though it does happen) and I don't think it is a completely bad thing. By my morals, one should take responsibility for one's impact on the rest of the world, and there should be some social pressure for people to modify their behavior on this.

Now, that doesn't mean we all have to be environmental saints, I know I'm not. But it shouldn't excuse us from doing nothing.

Noclevername
2007-Jul-19, 07:29 PM
Does that say "quilt" or "guilt"?

Argos
2007-Jul-19, 08:12 PM
Yeah, at first glance I thought it was about a big CO2 quilt covering the planet, or something related to a patchwork of environmental policies. :)

mike alexander
2007-Jul-19, 09:15 PM
That confused me, too. I was envisioning an 'AIDS quilt' or something.

Damburger
2007-Jul-20, 06:27 PM
I think you should perhaps take the issue more seriously. The numbers of human civilisation simply do not add up in the long term, and when we have damaged the environment enough and used all the easily accesible fossil fuels, there is going to be real human suffering. This is not a joke, and contrary to what certain people believe, it isn't a conspiracy by the secular humanist illuminati or whatever.

NEOWatcher
2007-Jul-20, 07:37 PM
... and there should be some social pressure for people to modify their behavior on this.

Now, that doesn't mean we all have to be environmental saints, I know I'm not. But it shouldn't excuse us from doing nothing.
Social pressure is one thing, but this story takes it way too far.
Neighbors applaud after man's Hummer is vandalized (http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/news_article.aspx?storyid=71436)

Now; this person may already have irritated enough people and this was the last straw, but still, it's unexcusable.

But; I wonder about this quote:

"It doesn't quite fit in with the minivans and Suburbans and things like that."
A hummer (H2 at least) is on a Suburban chasis, is it not? So how can it not fit in?

nauthiz
2007-Jul-20, 08:00 PM
You're absolutely right. It's oppressive over here. You have bags going on sale captioned with some proclamation of not being some environmentally damaging thing whatever. "I'm not a plastic bag." Or something like that.

I've seen stuff like that, but it doesn't seem any more common than any other ideological slogan-mongering where I live.

Damburger
2007-Jul-26, 10:10 AM
Neighbors applaud after man's Hummer is vandalized (http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/news_article.aspx?storyid=71436)

Now; this person may already have irritated enough people and this was the last straw, but still, it's unexcusable.

A hummer (H2 at least) is on a Suburban chasis, is it not? So how can it not fit in?

Get some perspective. Itsjust a *thing*, it doesn't really matter next to the future of the planet and the human race. It reminds me of the guy who got 8 years in prison for vandalising SUVs. Compare to the 7 year sentence given to a group of marines who kidnapped and raped a 12 year old girl.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 10:44 AM
That confused me, too. I was envisioning an 'AIDS quilt' or something.Does this mean quilting bees are an endangered species?

What's the buzz on that?

:think:

Krel
2007-Jul-26, 02:57 PM

The H2 is built on the Tahoe frame, which is a shortened Suburban frame. The H3 is built on the Blazer frame.

David.

Click Ticker
2007-Jul-26, 03:41 PM
From the video - that was the full blown military equivalent H1. Not that it makes it okay or anything, just that it isn't on a conventional chasis.

Argos
2007-Jul-27, 06:55 PM
I knew it was coming: Blackle (http://www.blackle.com/). In the context of the energy savings associated with the background colors used by high-traffic websites (http://blogs.nature.com/climatefeedback/2007/07/google_turns_to_the_dark_side.html)

novaderrik
2007-Jul-27, 07:41 PM
i'll take an environmental quilt- make mine out of the skins of baby seals and Pandas held together with nylon thread from a coal powered factory in the dirtiest part of China.