PDA

View Full Version : Episode Request: The sun's energy

markg85
2007-Jul-19, 03:43 PM
Hey,

I've listened to quite a few episodes by now (i think about 90% of them) and i would like to see a episode where you 2 (Fraser and Pamela) talk about energy from the sun and ways of using it.

One thing i specially like is some more in depth information on Solar Panels.. so how can we get as much energy out of them as possible.. i've read about cells with just over 40% efficiency!! but this is probably just one part that could be covered in this episode.

Another thing.. can we ever build a shell around the sun like in a star trek episode and use all the energy of the sun?

I hope this is a good idea.
Mark.

AstroTodd
2007-Jul-19, 06:00 PM
You do have a great idea. I think it would be an awesome topic to lead into solar propulsion like "solar sails." And maybe lead into someday producing energy from fusion and how close we are to accomplishing this now. I know a country in europe is experimenting with it...but I'm not sure how close they are. Imagine how amazing that is, you are essentially creating a tiny star.

Fraser
2007-Jul-19, 06:19 PM
I like that idea. I'll add it to the list. There are some really fascinating concepts regarding solar energy. And if anyone's worried that we're going to run out of shows, our current list of show ideas has 42 entries. :-)

markg85
2007-Jul-19, 08:59 PM
42.. :( and i assume this idea is No. 42 ... can't you push it up a little ;)
No just kidding. but i'm glad that you like the idea. Make it a EXTRA LONG episode because there is so much with the sun.. perhaps a special that is double the time? (40 minutes?)

Mark.

Fraser
2007-Jul-20, 12:07 AM
We don't pick the ideas in order, so don't worry... :-)

EvilEye
2007-Jul-22, 01:17 PM
When you do this topic... could you tell us at which point away from a star, solar panels are no longer effective?

Would they work out in the Kuiper belt?

Galaxy
2007-Jul-22, 01:31 PM
When you do this topic... could you tell us at which point away from a star, solar panels are no longer effective?

Would they work out in the Kuiper belt?

Sure thing. I've added that question to the topic suggestion. Thanks for the question.

-Rebecca BF