PDA

View Full Version : Martian Dust Devil Seen from Above

Fraser
2007-Jul-20, 05:53 PM
Here's a cool picture of a Martian dust devil, captured by the HiRISE camera on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. This little dust devil has nothing to do with the dust storm that's currently ravaging the Red Planet. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/07/20/martian-dust-devil-seen-from-above/)

Palomar
2007-Jul-20, 06:58 PM
Gotta love them dust devils. :D

Oh give me a home
where the dust devils roam
where the MERs and
the orbiters play...

Is the first time I've seen a photo of one from nearly straight overhead. Cool.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-21, 05:10 PM
Gotta love them dust devils. :D

Is the first time I've seen a photo of one from nearly straight overhead. Cool.

The first time a rode my motorcycle thru a southern AZ dust devil was a thrill that I won't repeat anytime soon. Now, I slow down and wait for them to cross the road. Sometimes, during the heat of our summer here, they are hundreds of feet high and 50-100 feet in diameter - very impressive - but not nearly as large as that one on Mars!

Noclevername
2007-Jul-21, 05:14 PM
No! No! It's Martian smokers exhaling! It PROVES THERE'S LIFE!

;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-21, 05:20 PM
Sometimes this time of year in southern AZ you can see as many as a dozen dust devils crossing the hot flat valley floors.

The interesting feature is that the surrounding air is relatively calm when a dust devil comes by. About once a week one will come thru our property and throw the lawn furniture about and, because there is no dust to pick up, they are transparent.

Spacemad
2007-Jul-22, 07:44 PM
Sure is a cool image! It still surprises me that the HIRISE camera can make such fantastically close shots of relatively small objects on the surface of Mars!