PDA

View Full Version : is this spam?

tofu
2007-Jul-20, 09:52 PM
I just received an unsolicited email - a screenshot is attached below. The email contained a PDF which I didn't download, but when I viewed it through gmail's web interface, the pdf contained an itinerary.

Is this spam? It doesn't appear to be selling anything. I don't get it.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/tofu/babb/spam.gif

peter eldergill
2007-Jul-20, 09:57 PM
Perhaps they got the wrong email address?

The area code is correct for BC....

Perhaps just respond that you're not sure if you're the right person or email

The address is correct and postal code..I jsut checked online

Pete

Lord Jubjub
2007-Jul-20, 10:30 PM
Isn't selling something? Looks like a pretty good example of viral marketing. They got you interested enough to read a sample itinerary with a warning that some of their activities are very popular.

Or it could just be a mistyped e-mail address.

2007-Jul-20, 11:40 PM
There's a huge volume of evil mail masquerading as a PDF file lately.

Close to the first Google hit (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1264240,00.html)...

The Storm worm is generating PDF files to escape detection from antivirus software and trick employees with emails that look like business letters, according to researchers at security vendor MessageLabs.

The PDF trend has greatly reduced the amount of image spam, but the PDF file format, which is widely used by businesses, is forcing spam filtering vendors to rapidly develop technology to detect PDF spam from legitimate PDF files.

While the new emails containing PDFs currently carry advertisements they could evolve to deliver malicious code including bot code, said Matt Sergeant, a senior antispam technologist at the UK-based MessageLabs. The malware could also be automatically downloaded on the victim's computer.

tofu
2007-Jul-21, 01:28 AM
they could evolve to deliver malicious code including bot code

And that is exactly what I'm worried about, and why I didn't download the PDF. I haven't heard anything specific about PDF exploits, so maybe I'm overreacting, but it raised alarm bells when the email wasn't advertising anything.

mr obvious
2007-Jul-21, 02:05 AM
And that is exactly what I'm worried about, and why I didn't download the PDF. I haven't heard anything specific about PDF exploits, so maybe I'm overreacting, but it raised alarm bells when the email wasn't advertising anything.

Raised an alarm when it wasn't advertising? Have we become that desensitized to ads? :lol:

It does have the appearance of a mis-sent email. Maybe write back (don't use the reply button, cut and paste the email address given)?

Note too, that the extension does not automatically dictate the filetype. I believe it is possible to execute codes based on automatic download/executions in some mail programs, with the majority of the content of the actual file being irrelevant.

2007-Jul-21, 02:22 AM
It does have the appearance of a mis-sent email. Maybe write back (don't use the reply button, cut and paste the email address given)?

Junk it. I get 30 or 40 spam PDFs a day. I never look at any of them, so I can't say what their contents are, but if I went herding lost-looking email to its rightful destination, it would be a full-time job. Forget it. Recycle its 1s and 0s.

tofu
2007-Jul-21, 04:34 PM
Junk it. I get 30 or 40 spam PDFs a day. I never look at any of them, so I can't say what their contents are,

mostly stock spam. Apparently, that is by far the most profitable kind of spam.

mr obvious
2007-Jul-21, 08:09 PM
I'm both impressed and depressed that people are still falling for those and other scams. Why would someone invest in a stock based on a tip from a stranger sent via bulk email?

But I did want to add that this thread has a certain charm on the main thread list. It reads:

Is this spam?
tofu

Paracelsus
2007-Jul-21, 09:14 PM
There's a huge volume of evil mail masquerading as a PDF file lately.

Close to the first Google hit (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1264240,00.html)...

I have gotten several pdf spam files in my Yahoo! email box lately. :mad:

Most have no text in the actual email message; they just have the pdf file attachment and have the title 'Info' or something similar. The pdf files contain the text of the actual spam but don't have any .exe or .dll files.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-21, 09:59 PM
looks legite to me the domain name in the email is the theactual hotels websites domain(check through google), I must mistype an email every now and then myself for the room reservations (different hotel group). But if you do not have a reservation just delete it.