PDA

View Full Version : Are Pagans and the Simpsons movie responsible for our floods or is it divine anger?

Sticks
2007-Jul-21, 05:40 PM
The UK is being plagued by flooding affecting thousands (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6910086.stm)

I was looking for a reason

Global Warming?

Perhaps not

It must be the Pagans angry at promoters of the Simpson's Movie (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6901543.stm)

:mad:

Of course it could be divine retribution (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=465572&in_page_id=1770) :eek:

Time to break out the sack-cloth and ashes? :shifty:

The worrying thing is as these floods keep going on, these possible causes seem more likely - I suspect there is a reason for this, but I am not a psychologist
:(

Noclevername
2007-Jul-21, 05:45 PM
bishops warn storms are God's revenge for 'moral degradation'

Well, of course. Isn't everything bad that happens?

"Og, you put out fire, now Sky God is angry! Big thunder come!"

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-21, 05:56 PM
What about Harry Potter? It has to be Harry Potter!

Sticks
2007-Jul-22, 05:45 AM
I was also wandering if it was arranged to promote this movie (http://www.evanalmighty.com) :eek:

Occam
2007-Jul-22, 05:54 AM
I admit it... it's my fault
By the way, if there really was such thing as divine retribution, that movie would never have been made.
Then again, the first movie was so bad that the sequel can only be worse. Perhaps THAT is divine retribution.

crosscountry
2007-Jul-22, 10:59 AM
is that a sequel to Bruce Almighty?

Maksutov
2007-Jul-22, 11:15 AM
The UK is being plagued by flooding affecting thousands (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6910086.stm)

Global Warming?

Perhaps not

It must be the Pagans angry at promoters of the Simpson's Movie (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6901543.stm)

:mad:

Of course it could be divine retribution (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=465572&in_page_id=1770) :eek:

Time to break out the sack-cloth and ashes? :shifty:

The worrying thing is as these floods keep going on, these possible causes seem more likely - I suspect there is a reason for this, but I am not a psychologist
:(You know, it might be the weather.

Lianachan
2007-Jul-22, 12:19 PM
It's me - I've been furiously raindancing for months.

Trebuchet
2007-Jul-22, 02:04 PM
Then there's Texas. I can think of at least one thing the almighty should be punishing them for....

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-22, 02:22 PM
Church of England Bishops now believe in God? This really must be the end times.

Sticks
2007-Jul-22, 03:20 PM
I was worried that pagan rain magic might have been a little too effective

Now the Pagans are denying they are doing any such rain dances (http://www.paganfed.org/weblog/?p=36#respond)

You could not make this up!!

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-22, 07:33 PM
I was also wandering if it was arranged to promote this movie (http://www.evanalmighty.com) :eek:Those American studios will do anything to promote their movies. ;)

Paracelsus
2007-Jul-22, 08:32 PM
It's me - I've been furiously raindancing for months.

Bring some of that mojo down my way, will you? We need the rain! ;)

gwiz
2007-Jul-22, 08:43 PM

I suppose a slow moving and deep depression over southern England and the Midlands is a bit too obvious an explanation?

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-22, 09:05 PM
It will never stick. Too brainy. :p

mike alexander
2007-Jul-23, 06:11 AM
Why is southern England so depressed?

Ronald Brak
2007-Jul-23, 06:31 AM

Because of all the rain. It's a vicious circle. Or perhaps just a soggy one.

Sticks
2007-Jul-23, 08:19 AM
I suppose a slow moving and deep depression over southern England and the Midlands is a bit too obvious an explanation?

2nd attempt at posting

But the question is, who summoned this deep depression?

Millitant Pagan fundamentalists?
Hollywood film promoters?
Act of divine retribution? :eek:

Reading this bit from the Pagan Federation

Following the plethora of calls that have been received from the media, the Pagan Federation can confirm that there is no active campaign against this particular issue. There are particularly no plans for a ‘rain dance’ - a spectacular piece of mis-quoting by the tabloids there!

Someone has linked back to this thread on that blog - so now I am on the Pagan's target list :shifty:

It would seem that those in the media seem to believe that Pagan druids have the power to manipulate the weather :rolleyes:

Is there a part of us, that no matter how rational we try to be, will still at a deep unconscious level believe in "magic". Do people here still avoid walking under ladders, even when no body is working on them? Even I started wondering if Pagan fundamentalists could do such a thing :eek:

The nearest analogue I could think of was the power of "witch doctors" and by chance one of the members in our church used to do mission work in Africa, so I asked him about them, and their power is split between psychological, (it only works because people believe it works) and a knowledge of herb lore (by trial and error?) So it is not suprising that the media are taken in.

Incidentally in the 1980's I saw a programme in the BBC Horizon series that talked about global warming, in the days when it was still considered ATM, and their models predicted increase rainfall in the British isles. So is that the reason for all this devastation :think:

Nicolas
2007-Jul-23, 08:39 AM
Rainfall on the British Isles can hardly be considered a prediction...

;)

Occam
2007-Jul-23, 10:50 AM
You've obviously never been there. The only thing that keeps them going is the knowledge that it's nicer than the North :whistle:

Sticks
2007-Jul-23, 11:14 AM
But the North is not flooded

Jakenorrish
2007-Jul-23, 12:53 PM
At the risk of this becoming a serious debate..... :D

Well, I read that it was down to the summer jetstream (gulf stream) in the upper atmosphere being to the south of us when normally its right over us in the summer. This has produced a series of Atlantic lows from the South West. Last year the same jetstream was north of us resulting in long periods of high pressure meaning we had one of the hottest summers ever. If you are a meteorologist feel free to comment / critisise!

We have had exceedingly wet summers before, though the weather has recently become more extreme. This summer has been wet, but not cold. (in Cardiff anyway - thank goodness I don't live in Tewkserry right now!) a good word may be 'tropical' though someone from the tropics visiting would probably beg to differ!

The types of insects and birds we have been getting over here in recent years indicate that the recent trend has been hotter weather all year round. Frog spawn was reported in Pembrokeshire last November, when you wouldn't normally see it until March-ish.

The climate is changing and always has. Whether this is due to our burning of fossil fuels is not known. I suspect it is, though I know that the Earth, and life on it have been around a lot longer than us. At a guess, they'll be here a long time after we've gone whatever the weather!

One amusing thing is that the boffins who do the long range weather forecast predicted we'd have a dry and hot summer. Doh!

MAPNUT
2007-Jul-23, 01:05 PM
Quote: "The Rt Rev Graham Dow, the Bishop of Carlisle, whose district suffered horrendous flooding two years ago, believes the extreme weather is the direct consequence of mankind's lack of respect "for each other, for the planet and for God".

He said: "This is a strong and definite judgment because the world has been arrogant in going its own way." " -Quote

If he and Bishop Jones really believe that, one or both of them must be building an Ark. Find out whether they are accepting reservations.

Sticks
2007-Jul-23, 01:36 PM
Apparently back in June my parent's village was flooded. Thier house was just high enough to escape, although it was a close run thing as the sewers also got partially blocked.

It hardly made the news as it was in "the North" and hundred's are still homeless a month on.

When it hits the stockbroker belt, main headline wall to wall coverage :mad:

I am still contemplating giving the Pagan Federation a call incase they had a few hot heads who called this upon us to try and wash a picture of Homer Simpson away. :whistle:

Just would like to know if they believe they do have magic spells to affect the weather :shifty:

BTW my father tells me that during the great drought of 1976 they got some Ugandan medicine men to do a rain dance on the August bank Holliday and by November of that year they were wanting to get them to switch off the effect :cool:

Jakenorrish
2007-Jul-23, 02:12 PM
Quote: "The Rt Rev Graham Dow, the Bishop of Carlisle, whose district suffered horrendous flooding two years ago, believes the extreme weather is the direct consequence of mankind's lack of respect "for each other, for the planet and for God".

He said: "This is a strong and definite judgment because the world has been arrogant in going its own way." " -Quote

If he and Bishop Jones really believe that, one or both of them must be building an Ark. Find out whether they are accepting reservations.

Stay off the religion dude, or 'THEY' (the moderators) will come for you.......

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 02:38 PM

Prince Charles travelling by helicopter?

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-23, 02:41 PM
Prince Charles travelling by helicopter?

:lol: That's Gold!

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 02:45 PM
Then the animation someone made out of that picture of Homer and the Giant runs platinum.

While I won't be silly enough to link it here, I can describe it in two words: "Ring toss"

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-23, 04:07 PM

He said: "This is a strong and definite judgment because the world has been arrogant in going its own way." " -QuoteThat's not an unreasonable interpretation.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-23, 04:58 PM
Someone has linked back to this thread on that blog - so now I am on the Pagan's target list

I'll vouch for you, Sticks, even if you do have some odd ideas. You're still a good guy.

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 05:00 PM
That's not an unreasonable interpretation.

Should we go back to burning offerings to quell the wrath of the gods? :rolleyes:

nauthiz
2007-Jul-23, 05:12 PM
Should we go back to burning offerings to quell the wrath of the gods? :rolleyes:

Does the pot of rice I ruined last night count?

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 05:42 PM
:lol:

Dunno, what's the five day forecast for your area? :D

Sticks
2007-Jul-23, 06:09 PM

Or rounding up Pagans, on the off chance, as enemy combatants, in the war on terror.

Now why does that sound familiar :think:

nauthiz
2007-Jul-23, 06:23 PM
:lol:

Dunno, what's the five day forecast for your area? :D

Looks like (http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=60603) we might have a thunderstorm on Friday.

peteshimmon
2007-Jul-23, 06:36 PM
It was the last Shuttle flight! It hit a
tipping point in the upper atmosphere and
shifted something. Bill to follow.

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 07:08 PM
It was the last Shuttle flight! It hit a
tipping point in the upper atmosphere and
shifted something. Bill to follow.

We'll dig the tipping point out of the carbon panel and mail it to you, will that suffice?

2007-Jul-23, 07:14 PM
The Cerne Abbas Giant (http://www.gatheredimages.com/pages/ICON/cerne.html) appears to have adopted Homer Simpson's style of dress.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jul-23, 07:27 PM
Should we go back to burning offerings to quell the wrath of the gods? :rolleyes:When did we ever do that? :p

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 07:44 PM
When did we ever do that? :p

We, as in modern culture? Never. We as in humanity? Quite a bit, just not recently.

Sticks
2007-Jul-23, 07:46 PM
How about offering doughnuts as offerings?

Doodler
2007-Jul-23, 07:50 PM
How about offering doughnuts as offerings?

I'll shed true tears for the first time since childhood, but ok. :)

Peter Wilson
2007-Jul-23, 10:32 PM
How about offering doughnuts as offerings?Heard the Saxon gods prefere crisps...:shifty:

crosscountry
2007-Jul-24, 12:54 AM
What did the Germans do?

It's rained here all but two days since May.

Chuck
2007-Jul-24, 01:05 AM
Stay off the religion dude, or 'THEY' (the moderators) will come for you.......

Instead of "religion", use "unsupported belief system". Then the moderators won't know what's going on.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-24, 01:08 AM
What did the Germans do?
Invade another country.:D

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jul-24, 04:05 AM
What did the Germans do?
Invade another country.:D
That was more than 60 years ago, though ....

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jul-24, 04:11 AM
That was more than 60 years ago, though ....
I know, the tho option is probably go to the alps.
The is a comedian Ron James who siad on a show "you start two world wars expect some ribbing."

novaderrik
2007-Jul-24, 07:25 AM
from the news coverage i saw on tv, the Brits aren't really having too bad of a time..
sure, entire cities are under water, and people are being taken out by boat and helicopter- but every person that i saw getting rescued was laughing and making jokes. and it wasn't a "nervous" kind of laughter, either. they seemed to be having a jolly good time. is it that big of a deal to get on tv over there?
i guess it wasn't the usual dry type of Brit humor i'm used to- so maybe they were nervous wrecks...

Sticks
2007-Jul-24, 08:12 AM
They weren't so jovial on the radio this morning when they were talking about no water supply for at least two weeks.

Jakenorrish
2007-Jul-24, 08:24 AM
from the news coverage i saw on tv, the Brits aren't really having too bad of a time..
sure, entire cities are under water, and people are being taken out by boat and helicopter- but every person that i saw getting rescued was laughing and making jokes. and it wasn't a "nervous" kind of laughter, either. they seemed to be having a jolly good time. is it that big of a deal to get on tv over there?
i guess it wasn't the usual dry type of Brit humor i'm used to- so maybe they were nervous wrecks...

This is the 'stiff upper lip' you've heard of. Us Brits laugh in the face of adversity!

Unless its my PC breaking, then I cry like a baby. :D

WaxRubiks
2007-Jul-24, 11:19 AM
Now you know why James Bond has an underwater car.

Peter Wilson
2007-Jul-24, 05:46 PM
How'd he know floods were coming?

Gillianren
2007-Jul-24, 05:55 PM

Of course it wasn't! They were soaking wet.

Seriously, though--we've had a wet July as well. (Some two inches of rain, which is nothing compared to the places that've been flooding, I know, but is still an inch and a half more than we normally get in July.) Sometimes, it just happens. It's human nature to look for patterns in it--wrath of God is a popular one.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-24, 06:03 PM
The UK is being plagued by flooding affecting thousands (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6910086.stm)...Just remember what the primary component of soup is, and be thankful.

Sticks
2007-Jul-24, 06:13 PM
Just remember what the primary component of soup is, and be thankful.

I made a bacon and lentil soup tonight, with added spring onion, herbes de Provance and to eek out the lentils, some pearl barley,

very tasty.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-24, 06:17 PM
Sounds quite good!

I just finished off my latest batch of cream of leek and potato soup. Yum!

Next on the runway is mussel chowder.

Goes well with any seafood, especially broiled cod.

Souper!

Sticks
2007-Jul-25, 09:07 AM
More from the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6911918.stm)

Peter Wilson
2007-Jul-25, 11:08 PM
As they point out in the article, the problem with the whole Homer-worship/rain-dance approach is same problem with cloud-seeding: controls. What would the weather have been without the sodium iodide? Without the unholy Homer?

So the Simpsons may have conrtibuted to the rains, but its hard to know what the gods would have done if Homer had been depicted holding a cross--say--instead of a doughnut.

WaxRubiks
2007-Jul-25, 11:11 PM
the BBC seem to have got bored with ordinary filming and have started filming under the water.