PDA

View Full Version : My best afocal moon shots by far ( I think)

Bokmakierie
2007-Jul-22, 07:02 PM
Yesterday my new Orion shorty Barlow arrived and I could not wait to try it out on my 9" f/8 Dobs and a 25 mm Plossl eyepiece.
The seeing was excellent with no dancing craters and a sharp visualization of the Alpine valley. ( I regard visualization of the valley as a sure sign of good seeing)
I first took a shot of the entire first quarter moon with the 25 mm eyepiece in place. Then I inserted the Barlow and the 25 mm and what a sight!. Unfortunately the draw tube was too long now and I could not clamp my camera on to the scope. Had to hold it by hand ( a very shaky one at that!). But I got my best shot of the alpine valley and a few excellent crater shots.
Hope you guys like my efforts.
Phil

paul f. campbell
2007-Jul-22, 09:29 PM
Hi Phil.

Yes. Your photos are great, indeed your best yet. Nice work.

JAICOA
2007-Jul-22, 10:33 PM
Hi Phil I'm very surprised you have a steady hand my friend, they are all great shots. can't wait to see you resolve the cam mount situation and see the great outcome-Well done my friend

stargazer_7000
2007-Jul-22, 11:06 PM
hi Phil,

that is great stuff!
congrats!

winensky
2007-Jul-23, 12:49 AM
How on earth did you manage to hold your camera so steadilly? Beautiful clarity.

Regards,
Matt

Bokmakierie
2007-Jul-23, 05:22 AM
How on earth did you manage to hold your camera so steadilly? Beautiful clarity.

Regards,
Matt

Thanks guys for your kind comments.
Matt, I had to take about 40 shots and then selected the best. Fortunately I do not have much of a tremor in my left hand. So, with a bit of gymnastics, I press the camera button with my left hand and try my best to hold the camera still with the right. Pressing the exposure button with the right hand is a waste of time. The more excited I get, the more it shakes!! Inherited this from my mother.:)

Regards

Phil

Torsten
2007-Jul-23, 08:10 AM
Hand-held! Wow. Great shots.

seeker372011
2007-Jul-23, 09:17 AM
wow, admire your patience-but you have great results to show for your perseverance!

seeker372011
2007-Jul-23, 09:19 AM
had another look-really for a hand held shot they are terrific.Actually far better than anything i have ever managed with a ToUcam

Bokmakierie
2007-Jul-23, 10:19 AM
Thanks Seeker! Much appreciated.

Phil

Bokmakierie
2007-Jul-23, 01:01 PM
had another look-really for a hand held shot they are terrific.Actually far better than anything i have ever managed with a ToUcam

There is , of course, a little trick involved which I only discovered by accident. When I started this, I forgot to disable my camera's flash. It did not affect the images at all until I decided that I do NOT need the flash. The pictures then were horrible. Activating the flash ( I discovered) fixes the shutter speed of my Fujifilm Finepix 2600 camera at 1/582 seconds, the ISO at 100 and the f stop at f/3.5. I make use of the autofocus facility of the camera.
This, of course, limits you to only obtain pics of bright objects like the major planets and the moon. But the shutter speed is short enough so that I can take pics with very little motion artifacts.

Phil

67champ
2007-Jul-23, 03:23 PM
Those are really nice pics Phil...

dana t

andyschlei
2007-Jul-23, 11:49 PM
Very Nice Phil!

space101
2007-Jul-24, 08:07 AM
Hi Phil,
did u notice in the 1st photograph if u observe keenly on the left there appears a clown face like thing. I am so amazed to what must that be? could it be just the crater shape or something else? Also in the last image if u observe u can see something like faces......:think: So guys what do u think?

Bokmakierie
2007-Jul-24, 09:32 AM
The "clown face" on the left of the first image is Crater Cassini. The "faces" on the last image are only caused by the interplay of shadows and highlights. I do not think we should read more in it.

Phil

stevenspray
2007-Jul-24, 12:27 PM
Hi Phil.

Well done, your astropics are magnificent! I can't believe the amount of detail I see in your photos, could you maybe tell me more on what instruments you used? What type of camera, did you use a motordrive and what do you mean when you say you could not clamp your camera to the scope, are you using an SLR with a T-Adapter?
Cheers!

Bokmakierie
2007-Jul-24, 02:31 PM
Hi Phil.

Well done, your astropics are magnificent! I can't believe the amount of detail I see in your photos, could you maybe tell me more on what instruments you used? What type of camera, did you use a motordrive and what do you mean when you say you could not clamp your camera to the scope, are you using an SLR with a T-Adapter?
Cheers!
Hi Steven,
I use a home made 9" Dobsonian with a special homemade clamp to hold my digital camera ( a simple Fujifilm Finepix 2600 digital camera. ( see my website for pictures of the scope and the clamp: )http://home.telkomsa.net/mybirding/Afocal.htm
I do not use a motor drive or a T adapter and simply put the camera lens against the eyepiece and shoot away. I have a tremor in my right hand therefore the clamp to hold the camera still.
Read my one post above where I explain how I take the pictures with the flash activated. This I discovered by pure chance.