PDA

View Full Version : Football (Soccer) Conspiracy - Football is fake

Fakeball
2007-Jul-23, 11:14 AM
This website (http://footballisfake.blogspot.com/) goes into detail about how one of the most popular sports in the world today... is fake.

And tells of some of the things that they do to pull it off.

The site reffers to Football (Or soccer) being "fake" and pre-determined, in a simular way to entertainment "sports" such as professional wrestling, it is in a blog format.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-24, 06:24 PM
Of course it is.

That's why, in the United States, we watch real football (http://www.nfl.com), not a bunch of namby-pambies running around faking fouls and injuries. That even goes for the non-professional level (http://www.ncaafootball.com/).

Jim
2007-Jul-24, 08:08 PM
Mak, I think there's an error in one of the links in your post. As an example of non-professional (that is, non-paid players and not-for-profit play) football, you accidentally linked to the NCAA site.

Fazor
2007-Jul-24, 08:11 PM
Mak, I think there's an error in one of the links in your post. As an example of non-professional (that is, non-paid players and not-for-profit play) football, you accidentally linked to the NCAA site.
:lol:

But if I'm not mistaken Jim, you're part of the conspiracy.

snarkophilus
2007-Jul-24, 08:25 PM
I can't see a ball being remotely controlled, as the site claims. And there isn't exactly compelling evidence there.

My brother wins basketball pools based on this premise, though. He assumes that there is score fixing and cheating going on, and makes his picks based on that. He gets very good results from it (in a popular national pool, second place last year, I think fifth the year before, second three years ago, et cetera -- he'd have won last year, but he forgot to make one pick).

This method doesn't seem to work for soccer, however, because my random picks tend to be just as good as his picks. That may be an argument against cheating (at least, in English Premier)... or it might be that they cheat differently.

Larry Jacks
2007-Jul-24, 08:25 PM
"OOOOOOOklahoma where our football players get paid..."

Isn't that how the song goes?

Maksutov
2007-Jul-24, 09:53 PM
Mak, I think there's an error in one of the links in your post. As an example of non-professional (that is, non-paid players and not-for-profit play) football, you accidentally linked to the NCAA site.As other posters have now pointed out, the inference was that I was excluding certain southern and western schools...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Jim
2007-Jul-24, 10:35 PM
But if I'm not mistaken Jim, you're part of the conspiracy.

Uh... er... mmm...

Never mind. :shifty:

2007-Jul-24, 10:48 PM
This website goes into detail about how one of the most popular sports in the world today... is fake.

Is that your website, or is it just a cause you believe in so much that you decided to take a user name of Fakeball?

mike alexander
2007-Jul-24, 11:11 PM
The most damning evidence that soccer is fake is so obvious that everyone looks right past it. Nobody is willing to leave fingerprints on the ball.

"Hey, Nigel! Pick up the bloody ball and throw it!"

"And leave my prints? No way!"

Dragon Star
2007-Jul-24, 11:16 PM
This website (http://footballisfake.blogspot.com/) goes into detail about how one of the most popular sports in the world today... is fake.

And tells of some of the things that they do to pull it off.

The site reffers to Football (Or soccer) being "fake" and pre-determined, in a simular way to entertainment "sports" such as professional wrestling, it is in a blog format.

...aaannnddd...who cares? Both are equally stupid and enjoyable.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-25, 07:31 AM
The most damning evidence that soccer is fake is so obvious that everyone looks right past it. Nobody is willing to leave fingerprints on the ball.

Holmes! How do we solve this one? Seems a bit of a sticky wicket!
Elementary, Watson. Follow the footprints! It appears our main suspect has ties to Greek mythology!
Great Zelus' Ghost, it is a Styxy wicket!...

Donnie B.
2007-Jul-25, 02:05 PM

Right! Even the keepers wear gloves, even though the rules nominally allow them to touch the ball. Why on Earth would they wear gloves if not to avoid leaving a physical evidence trail?

I bet those are special gloves that won't even shed any fibers on the ball.

mfumbesi
2007-Jul-25, 02:15 PM

What about a throw in. :lol:

Fakeball something fishy is going to happen to you.
I know people in Columbia who will cut your power line for a small fee.

Swift
2007-Jul-25, 02:30 PM
Is that your website, or is it just a cause you believe in so much that you decided to take a user name of Fakeball?
I looked at that website and man, I am completely convinced!!!!! The evidence is OVERWHELMING (it helps to put it in caps, right?). That's the last time I go to a professional outdoor soccer game in Cleveland!!!!!!

:shifty:

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Jul-25, 02:36 PM
Why do Americans almost always pick "Nigel" when they need a generic name for a Brit? "Nigel" is becoming the equivalent of "Paddy" for the Irish. :)

Matherly
2007-Jul-25, 03:02 PM
My brother wins basketball pools based on this premise, though. He assumes that there is score fixing and cheating going on, and makes his picks based on that.

Cheating? In the NBA? What are you saying, there are crooked refs in the NBA? (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/07/20/bc.bkn.bettingprobe.ap/index.html)

Eh, don't mind me. I'm just a bitter Phoenix Suns fan.

Lianachan
2007-Jul-25, 04:02 PM
That's why, in the United States, we watch real football (http://www.nfl.com), not a bunch of namby-pambies running around faking fouls and injuries.[/URL].

Meh. I played at a fairly senior amateur level for years, was not a namby-pamby and did not fake any fouls or injuries. I did, however, break ribs, a finger and an ankle (sadly, all my own).

Argos
2007-Jul-25, 04:24 PM
This method doesn't seem to work for soccer, however, because my random picks tend to be just as good as his picks.

Ive read that soccer scores seem to obey a Poisson distribution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution).

Doodler
2007-Jul-25, 06:16 PM
Why do Americans almost always pick "Nigel" when they need a generic name for a Brit? "Nigel" is becoming the equivalent of "Paddy" for the Irish. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Mansell

One of the few distinctively British names an average American might have heard on a regular basis, courtesy of ESPN and its predecessors.

Fazor
2007-Jul-25, 06:28 PM
Hey now, I was just expressing my excitement for the (hopefull) rise in Soccer's popularity in the states. I enjoy it; watching the world cup was fun anyway.

Will always take a backseat to Baseball and Football though.

Kelfazin
2007-Jul-25, 06:53 PM

Maybe mike was talking about a real British footballer named Nigel. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Clough) Or maybe a British goalkeeper named Nigel. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Martyn)

Doodler
2007-Jul-25, 06:55 PM
Hey now, I was just expressing my excitement for the (hopefull) rise in Soccer's popularity in the states. I enjoy it; watching the world cup was fun anyway.

1) Football (US)
2) Baseball
3) Basketball
4) Hockey
5) NASCAR
6) NHRA drag racing
7) Curling
8) Women's Volleyball
9) Bowling
10) Horse racing
11) Curling
12) Hot dog gorging.
15) Figure skating
16) Anything else Olympic
17) Steeplechase.
18) Dogfighting
19) Paint drying
20) Housework
35) Soccer
50) Cycling.

Fazor
2007-Jul-25, 07:37 PM
Doodler, you accidently indicated that NASCAR is a sport, but I'll overlook it just this one time ;)

Doodler
2007-Jul-25, 08:34 PM
Doodler, you accidently indicated that NASCAR is a sport, but I'll overlook it just this one time ;)

Ahem!

Non-Athletic Sport, Centered Around Rednecks.

:p

novaderrik
2007-Jul-26, 02:46 AM

why do you think soccer will someday be popular in the US?
because one team paid the most famous soccer player in the world way too much money to come play here, and they tried to make people care about them by giving his untalented wife her own "reality" show and having every "news" channel tell us how awesome they are?
i don't think that will work, but the changing demographics due to the influx of people from a certain Spanish speaking country to our south just might help to swing the balance, i guess.

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-26, 04:34 AM
Soccer is now legitametly (Gillian, help!) our fifth most popular sport among males, behind Cricket, Football, League and Basketball.

We also just started a new national competition, the A-League, replacing the old NSL (which was just an excuse for Greeks to belt Turks in the stands, and vice versa)

The future is looking bright for Soccer here

Gillianren
2007-Jul-26, 06:02 AM
"Legitimately."

I, personally, don't care for sports at all, but I do believe that "will become" is the wrong verb, here. "Is" would be the verb tense we're looking for.

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-26, 06:09 AM
"Legitimately."

I, personally, don't care for sports at all, but I do believe that "will become" is the wrong verb, here. "Is" would be the verb tense we're looking for.

thanks, somehow the spelling demons infiltrated my internetz

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 08:25 AM
1) Football (US)
2) Baseball
3) Basketball
4) Hockey
5) NASCAR
6) NHRA drag racing
7) Curling
8) Women's Volleyball...You mean women's beach volleyball, right?

Ah, Misty May (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/131130750_6c149ab541.jpg?v=0). Now, there is an athlete (http://www.mistymay.com/)!

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 08:36 AM
Meh. I played at a fairly senior amateur level for years, was not a namby-pamby and did not fake any fouls or injuries. I did, however, break ribs, a finger and an ankle (sadly, all my own).Bravo! Your dedication to your sport is admirable! Hope you recovered 100%. What did you do to your opponents?

If only your effort and enthusiasm would infiltrate the ranks of the professionals. That's one of the reasons why I really like A, AA, and AAA minor league baseball here in the states. The players don't yet have it made, or, for those "sent down", are trying to get back to the higher level. Therefore the intensity of play, the hustle, is much greater than one sees in "the big show".

The same applies to college baseball, although they need to get rid of those aluminum bats and the DH.

I'd get much enjoyment out of seeing Sterry, uh, Barry Bonds get busted (finally) and sent to a single-A minor league team. I doubt such an ego could handle it and his whines would fill the outfield. That is, if the manager was his own man and decided not to play him at all.

mfumbesi
2007-Jul-26, 08:51 AM
50) Cycling.

I am shocked, you mean live strong (the other Armstrong) is not your national hero. The man sacrificed more than most (I want to say it, but I am afraid I will be banned :silenced: ).

Nicolas
2007-Jul-26, 10:44 AM
Am I really the first to notice that curling, which isn't even a sport, is listed twice by Doodler?

I mean, come on, we all fall asleep while watching it, but just by reading the word???

;)

captain swoop
2007-Jul-26, 12:48 PM
Plus he missed Pro Wrestling off the list.

Jim
2007-Jul-26, 01:09 PM
Soccer is now legitametly (Gillian, help!) our fifth most popular sport among males, behind Cricket, Football, League and Basketball.

A friend of mine just got back from Australia on an extended visit to his daugther, son-in-law and granddaugther. He also referees soccer. His opinion was Rugby Premier, Rugby A-League, Aussie Football.

Soccer is becoming more popular in the US for two reasons:
- The demographics are changing; however, most Hispanic fans aren't willing to give up their old teams until US teams rise to the same level. [cough]Houston Dynamo 1, Club America 0[cough]
- More and more kids are playing youth soccer. As they become adults, they want to follow the sport at the professional level.

As for curling, when I first saw it during a winter Olympics, I thought it was very strange, even silly. But the more I watched, the more fascinated I became. It actually requires a great deal of skill, a lot of strategy, and a bit of athletecism. I really enjoy watching it now.

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-26, 01:22 PM
A friend of mine just got back from Australia on an extended visit to his daugther, son-in-law and granddaugther. He also referees soccer. His opinion was Rugby Premier, Rugby A-League, Aussie Football.

The only problem there is that two of those don't exist

Swift
2007-Jul-26, 01:31 PM
because one team paid the most famous soccer player in the world way too much money to come play here, and they tried to make people care about them by giving his untalented wife her own "reality" show and having every "news" channel tell us how awesome they are?
i don't think that will work, but the changing demographics due to the influx of people from a certain Spanish speaking country to our south just might help to swing the balance, i guess.
I remember the hoopla back in the 1970s when the NY Cosmos soccer team hired Pele. Everyone was talking about how this would put soccer on the map in the US. It didn't happen.

As far as the "kids playing soccer" idea, well, soccer has been popular as a kids sport for at least 10 or 20 years - those kids are now adults... and they are watching baseball, US football, and NASCAR.

Oh all of those factors, I suspect demographics will have the biggest impact, but I'll wait and see.

I did like 12) Hot dog gorging and 19) Paint drying on Doodler's list - but are those as spectator or participant sports? ;)

Fazor
2007-Jul-26, 01:48 PM

I didn't say I think it will, I said I hope it will. It's an exciting sport. The thing I think that's hurting it the most is the Euopean snobbery toward American interest in the sport, which I think has turned a lot of us against it. I think that'll change though.

Argos
2007-Jul-26, 02:06 PM
Regarding [real :)] football in the US, I think Africa is a good example of the potential for development. In the 70s, the times of Pele in the NY Cosmos, African teams used to serve as sparring bags for South american and European teams. Now they are feared [at least down here]. I see the same thing happening in the near future with the US.

Nicolas
2007-Jul-26, 02:12 PM
As for curling, when I first saw it during a winter Olympics, I thought it was very strange, even silly. But the more I watched, the more fascinated I became. It actually requires a great deal of skill, a lot of strategy, and a bit of athletecism. I really enjoy watching it now.

Oh, in fact I like it too. It's interesting to see how the guys with the brooms can make or ruin a throw, or how they go "to the bone" to turn a bad throw into a good one. Reducing friction, steering (well, trying to), and all that with a broom without touching the curling ball. It really is a team sport.

I used to think the brooms melted the ice which slowed down the rock, but apparently the thin layer of water reduces friction.

More fun to do than to watch: petanque :). What's the petanque variant called where they roll a flattened ball towards a target (not on ice)? Shown on BBC from time to time.

Kelfazin
2007-Jul-26, 03:31 PM
I remember going to some soccer games here in Arizona when I was a kid. We used to have a soccer team, the Phoenix Lions. Then I moved away for a few years and when I came back they didn't exist anymore. I was too young to really appreciate the sport so never really followed it. Then when I was playing football in high school we developed a rivalry with our own soccer team ("Why don't you play a real man's game, where you don't wear little shorts and knee-high socks and jog around the field all day?" "Yea, why don't you play a real man's game where you don't wear tights and play huggy-huggy and roll on the ground with other boys?"). Now I would watch soccer if I ever saw it on, but I forget to look for sports outside of football and hockey season :)

As for curling, I agree with Jim too. Before the olympics I didn't really have any idea what curling was other than some rocks and ice. I thought it was somthing like Canadian shuffleboard or something. Then they covered a lot of the curling matches on TV and I was hooked. The precision and strategy required is amazing, plus a lot of those girls were hot! :)

Nicolas
2007-Jul-26, 03:35 PM
And the harder these girls brush their brooms, the more... anyway does anyone know what's the name of the sport I'm looking for?

What's the petanque variant called where they roll a flattened ball -looks like a cheese- towards a target (not on ice)? Shown on BBC from time to time.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 03:36 PM
Now I would watch soccer if I ever saw it on, but I forget to look for sports outside of football and hockey season :)

GOLTV and Fox Sports Channel (FSC) show a lot. The Asian Cup is currently in progress.

I really enjoy watching soccer but have never played it much. Played football in High School but don't watch it anymore.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 03:38 PM
Regarding [real :)] football in the US, I think Africa is a good example of the potential for development. In the 70s, the times of Pele in the NY Cosmos, African teams used to serve as sparring bags for South american and European teams. Now they are feared [at least down here]. I see the same thing happening in the near future with the US.

I think that is the aspect about football (soccer) that I love the most - it's a world game.

Kelfazin
2007-Jul-26, 03:39 PM
GOLTV and Fox Sports Channel (FSC) show a lot.

Are those basic channels or additional-subscription channels?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 03:43 PM
Are those basic channels or additional-subscription channels?

My guess is additional subscription - but it's just a guess. Sorry. I haven't updated our DishNetwork package in years.

Argos
2007-Jul-26, 03:52 PM
I think that is the aspect about football (soccer) that I love the most - it's a world game.

I was about to say that. But it wasnt always so. Africa and Asia played a very poor football prior to the 80s. The expansion of football in the last 30 years coincides with the economic globalization.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 03:55 PM
I was about to say that. But it wasnt always so. Africa and Asia played a very poor football prior to the 80s. The expansion of football in the last 30 years coincides with the economic globalization.

I'll have to check but I think an African team made the final 16 in the 2006 World Cup - or else they almost made it, which is a great accomplishment. I watch (or at least keep tabs on) all the major Cups.

Captain Kidd
2007-Jul-26, 03:56 PM
More fun to do than to watch: petanque :). Sounds like that might be where horseshoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoes) got it's start. Or maybe a parallel evolution as there's something in a horseshoe that makes you want toss it at something. (Maybe that's just my annoying family members that causes that urge. ;) )

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 04:00 PM
I'll have to check but I think an African team made the final 16 in the 2006 World Cup - or else they almost made it, which is a great accomplishment. I watch (or at least keep tabs on) all the major Cups.

@ Argos: Yes. Ghana made the final 16 and were immediately eliminated by that foul and mean team from Brazil. :)

Argos
2007-Jul-26, 04:16 PM
Yeah. Still they played a great football then. The same can be said of the Asian teams [S. Korea and Japan, chiefly]. Regarding poor football, an anthological score was Yugoslavia vs Zaire, 9-0, in the 74 World Cup. You dont see things like that happening anymore. :)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 04:23 PM
Yeah. Still they played a great football then. The same can be said of the Asian teams [S. Korea and Japan, chiefly]. Regarding poor football, an anthological score was Yugoslavia vs Zaire, 9-0, in the 74 World Cup. You dont see things like that happening anymore. :)

And in the 2002 World Cup, Korea placed third defeating Turkey in the Third Place match.

Jim
2007-Jul-26, 05:20 PM
The only problem there is that two of those don't exist

I was going from memory. He mentioned two levels/leagues of rugby as 1 and 2. Are there two?

Gillianren
2007-Jul-26, 05:34 PM
I love curling! For fans, may I suggest the Canadian comedy Men with Brooms? It's got Leslie Neilsen and my personal favourite actor, Paul Gross.

Interestingly, soccer may be healing some of the discord in Iraq. Their team is winning. I just worry what'll happen if/when they end up losing. Can a World Cup win bring peace?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 05:37 PM
Interestingly, soccer may be healing some of the discord in Iraq. Their team is winning. I just worry what'll happen if/when they end up losing. Can a World Cup win bring peace?

No. Suicide bombers waited and killed a whole bunch when the people flooded the streets after the Iraq win at the Asian Cup.

Fazor
2007-Jul-26, 05:37 PM
I love curling! For fans, may I suggest the Canadian comedy Men with Brooms? It's got Leslie Neilsen and my personal favourite actor, Paul Gross.

Do they even have a chance at the cup? I was under the impression that France, Portugol, Brazil, and Itally pretty much dominated that, but honestly I don't really follow it much.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 05:41 PM
From the Washington Post:

The announcement came a few hours before national jubilation over the Iraqi soccer team's semifinal win in the Asian Cup turned violent in Baghdad, where bombings and celebratory gunfire killed at least 55 people.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 05:42 PM
Do they even have a chance at the cup? I was under the impression that France, Portugol, Brazil, and Itally pretty much dominated that, but honestly I don't really follow it much.

Asian Cup.

Fazor
2007-Jul-26, 05:46 PM
Asian Cup.

I was responding to:

Or is there more than one world cup?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 05:48 PM
I was responding to:

She's mixing World Cup and Asian Cup. Iraq is currently doing well in the Asian Cup. World Cup is not till 2010 in South Africa.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 05:49 PM

No. But there are other Cups: European, Copa America (South America), Asian, just to name a few.

Fazor
2007-Jul-26, 05:51 PM
Okay. I forgot it (world cup) was a 4-year deal.

Speaking of sports that don't get the propper attention they deserve in the states (and I know we already had a thread on this here), but I still would love to see Rugby take off here. Now that's a sport.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 05:55 PM

Technically, the World Cup lasts almost two years. There are so many teams in the world that the selection process starts almost two years before the Cup convenes in the host city.

Argos
2007-Jul-26, 06:12 PM
No. But there are other Cups: European, Copa America (South America), Asian, just to name a few.

Copa America [America Cup] is the competition of the CONMEBOL [South American confederation] zone. Members of the CONCACAF [Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football] are usually invited. Mexico showed a great football in the 2007 edition, finishing 1st in its group, in the qualifying phase. The US did not do very well, losing all matches.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 06:14 PM
Copa America [America Cup] is the competition of the CONMEBOL [South Amercian confederation] zone. Members of the CONCACAF [Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football] are usually invited. Mexico showed a great football in this edition, finishing 1st in its group. The US did not do very well, losing all matches.

Yes. I know that. I was just using short hand because most (99% probably) of Americans don't know what zone the USA is in. Hell, I didn't know up till a few years ago. :lol:

novaderrik
2007-Jul-26, 07:18 PM

Speaking of sports that don't get the propper attention they deserve in the states (and I know we already had a thread on this here), but I still would love to see Rugby take off here. Now that's a sport.

ok- explain Rugby to me.. i've tried watching it a few times, and all i got out of it was that a bunch of guys run around and beat the crap out of each other, and whenever it looks like they are about to score, they throw the ball AWAY from the goal, and run around and hit each other some more.
then, for some reason, they all pile into a shape that looks like a turtle with 40 legs and the ball comes flying out, and they start beating on each other for a while..
soccer is similar- hit the ball around, knock other guys down, and maybe once or twice a game the ball ends up in the goal somehow.
then, afterwards, the people in the stands beat the crap out of each other.

mind you, i'm not much for American sports- in football, a bunch of genetic misfits put on tights and armor and repeatedly run into each other while chasing a ball that looks like a turd, in baseball a "great" player only does his job maybe 35% of the time, and basketball is just a bunch of inner city thugs trying to throw an orange ball thru a hoop. NASCAR has gotten away from it's roots and 35 of the 43 racers that start are only there as obstacles for the 8 cars that ever win to avoid for 500 miles.

Fazor
2007-Jul-26, 07:23 PM
ok- explain Rugby to me.. i've tried watching it a few times, and all i got out of it was that a bunch of guys run around and beat the crap out of each other, and whenever it looks like they are about to score, they throw the ball AWAY from the goal, and run around and hit each other some more.

Yep, that's pretty much it. That's why it's such a great sport. ;) I figured out what was going on a few years ago when I bought EA Sports Rugby 2004 for PS2 (Mainly because I love EA Sports games, and since it's Rugby, it was cheap). It's really not that complecated. I think it's a pretty pure sport, which is one of the reasons I like it. Touch the ball to the ground in the endzone, and you score. Kick it through the goalposts, and you score lesser points (but there's restrictions on how you can kick, IIRC). Once the ball carrier is tackled, you're not allowed to hold on to the ball with your hands (I believe). There's some offsides rules and such, but really nothing all that complex. Basically you have to muscle your way down the field, and work well together with your team. Like I said, very pure, very fun. It's harder than other sports to figure out by simply watching, but the rules really aren't that complex.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Jul-26, 07:28 PM
[Snip!] Can a World Cup win bring peace?
Alas, there's as much chance of that as there is of a beauty pageant contestent bringing world peace. :sad:

SeanF
2007-Jul-26, 07:28 PM
...in baseball a "great" player only does his job maybe 35% of the time...
Sorry, but a baseball player who only cleanly fields the ball 35% of the time would be considered an "awful" player. :)

(Don't focus on batting like it's the entirety of the game)

Doodler
2007-Jul-26, 07:30 PM
I am shocked, you mean live strong (the other Armstrong) is not your national hero. The man sacrificed more than most (I want to say it, but I am afraid I will be banned :silenced: ).

Its one of the reasons the wish format that goes, "Man, I'd give my left..." is no longer in my repetoire

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 07:32 PM
Sorry, but a baseball player who only cleanly fields the ball 35% of the time would be considered an "awful" player. :)

(Don't focus on batting like it's the entirety of the game)

It is true though that if the game is a pitcher's duel and the game is won 1-0, there may be almost nothing for most of the fielders to do.

Fazor
2007-Jul-26, 07:36 PM
It is true though that if the game is a pitcher's duel and the game is won 1-0, there may be almost nothing for most of the fielders to do.

The last two games Cleveland played were against the BoSox. They lost 0-1 tuesday, and won 1-0 yesterday. Pitchers duels? Definately. But each team had multiple hits. So the fielding decreases in frequency, but increases exponentially in importance during such games.

Jim
2007-Jul-26, 07:39 PM
... Mexico showed a great football in the 2007 edition, finishing 1st in its group, in the qualifying phase. The US did not do very well, losing all matches.

Of course, the USA A-Team had just won the Gold Cup (CONCACAF) by beating Mexico. Mexico sent the same team to Copa America, while USA (already assured of a spot in the Champions Cup) sent its B-Team.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 07:46 PM
Of course, the USA A-Team had just won the Gold Cup (CONCACAF) by beating Mexico. Mexico sent the same team to Copa America, while USA (already assured of a spot in the Champions Cup) sent its B-Team.

BTW Jim, who is that ref in your avatar? I know I've seen him - maybe in Euro matches.

Doodler
then, for some reason, they all pile into a shape that looks like a turtle with 40 legs and the ball comes flying out, and they start beating on each other for a while..
soccer is similar- hit the ball around, knock other guys down, and maybe once or twice a game the ball ends up in the goal somehow.
then, afterwards, the people in the stands beat the crap out of each other.

mind you, i'm not much for American sports- in football, a bunch of genetic misfits put on tights and armor and repeatedly run into each other while chasing a ball that looks like a turd, in baseball a "great" player only does his job maybe 35% of the time, and basketball is just a bunch of inner city thugs trying to throw an orange ball thru a hoop. NASCAR has gotten away from it's roots and 35 of the 43 racers that start are only there as obstacles for the 8 cars that ever win to avoid for 500 miles.

Rugby - a soccer-football hybrid. You run your butt off, can only pass laterally (never forward), and the pain of armorless impacts is mitigated by the free flowing beer that accompanies any rugby tournament.

The only thing I hated about high school rugby was the inability to drink away pain.

Rugby is also the only sport where women play arguably more aggressive than men.

You think I'm kidding.

I'm not.

Way back in the stone age, we played a tournament in DC, and we thought we looked pretty damned good. All buised, a couple wins under our belt, and we were off to chill at one of the guy's pool. While we were packing up, we noticed a girls league playing, so being typical teenaged guys seeing girls run around in short shorts, we were all over it.

These were your typical, 100-120 pound, flithe runner types, and the schoolboy giggling lasted till we saw the first hit. There is nothing hotter than a girl unleashing a battlecry right before clotheslining another girl and slamming her (hard enough for us to hear the WHUMP 20 feet away) into the pitch like a ragdoll. They both got up, and went back to business.

We just sat there with our jaws on the grass. The feeling was somewhere between awe, lust, and terror. We actually asked about recruiting one or two of them, and it had nothing to do with hormones.

Swift
So what do you like? Is there some sport where physically fit nuclear physicists play brain surgeons and requires you to have an IQ of 140+, the body of Atlas, and a success rate of 98.735%?

Jim
2007-Jul-26, 07:53 PM
BTW Jim, who is that ref in your avatar? I know I've seen him - maybe in Euro matches.

Pier-Luigi Collina... Pigi. Now retired from International competitions (too old, over 45), he was considered the best in the world at player management.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 07:59 PM
Pier-Luigi Collina... Pigi. Now retired from International competitions (too old, over 45), he was considered the best in the world at player management.

He must have just retired in the last couple of years.

Kelfazin
2007-Jul-26, 08:00 PM

I checked google images and I think that I can see why he was the best.
That dude is scary looking, I wouldn't want to anger him either lol.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 08:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierluigi_Collina

Doodler
2007-Jul-26, 08:04 PM
and basketball is just a bunch of inner city thugs trying to throw an orange ball thru a hoop. .

While the US media might focus on the ex-thugs for their very thuglife antics, the truth is, the NBA got quite a few shades paler when the Europeans stepped up and deflated the myth of US dominance in the sport.

"Celebrity" NBA players are becoming known more for their offcourt dysfunctionality than their playing ability. If it weren't for LeBron, I'd call it a total loss.

And the official NBA balls are brown.

SeanF
2007-Jul-26, 09:12 PM
Mm, not necessarily. I mean, there are games where the fielders have almost nothing to do, but they aren't necessarily pitcher's duels.

A 5-4 game could easily have fewer fielding opportunities than a 1-0 game. :)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 09:21 PM
Mm, not necessarily. I mean, there are games where the fielders have almost nothing to do, but they aren't necessarily pitcher's duels.

Yeah, OK. My point being the almost complete inactivity of some players (fielders) while others are playing hard (pitcher and catcher).

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 09:23 PM
[edit] [cough]Houston Dynamo 1, Club America 0[cough]...You're OK, Jim. No hernia.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 09:26 PM

Each pitcher could walk 4 batters each inning and you'd have a high "scoring" no-hit/low-hit game, and still have a pitchers duel. :lol:

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 09:27 PM
Regarding [real :)] football in the US, I think Africa is a good example of the potential for development. In the 70s, the times of Pele in the NY Cosmos, African teams used to serve as sparring bags for South american and European teams....You mean Pele had a parallel career in football in addition to soccer? What position did he play? Bet it was special teams, returning kicks.

Great thing about the BAUT, you're always learning something new.

Now, the great thing about Australian Rules Football is, if a player goes psycho, the men in the white coats are right there, ready to take him away. Fun sport!

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 09:28 PM
Each pitcher could walk 4 batters each inning and you'd have a high "scoring" no-hit/low-hit game, and still have a pitchers duel. :lol:It might be a duel, but I doubt those guys would be pitchers much longer.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-26, 09:31 PM
It might be a duel, but I doubt those guys would be pitchers much longer.

It was a joke. Jeez.

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 09:31 PM
From the Washington Post:
The announcement came a few hours before national jubilation over the Iraqi soccer team's semifinal win in the Asian Cup turned violent in Baghdad, where bombings and celebratory gunfire killed at least 55 people.So much for the celebratory surge in Iraq.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1084/iconbrickwall8ya.gif

Maksutov
2007-Jul-26, 09:32 PM
It was a joke. Jeez.Same here.

novaderrik
2007-Jul-26, 09:43 PM
So what do you like? Is there some sport where physically fit nuclear physicists play brain surgeons and requires you to have an IQ of 140+, the body of Atlas, and a success rate of 98.735%?
there aren't any sports that i enjoy watching anymore.
i'll play baseball or football or soccer or whatever, but watching them does not interest me at all.

Nicolas
2007-Jul-26, 10:05 PM
I liked watching last weekend's F-1 race, the first race I've seen in years (I missed the first laps but catched up on the internet afterwards :)). Heck, my GF appeared to enjoy watching the race! The fact that you couldn't tell for sure who would win before the start or even in the last few laps did help the enjoyment a lot. Some strange things though (getting yourself lifted back onto the circuit appears to be a gap in the rules...)

Argos
2007-Jul-26, 10:30 PM
I liked watching last weekend's F-1 race, the first race I've seen in years (I missed the first laps but catched up on the internet afterwards :)).

Great race, great championship. Lap 2 was fun, when a deluge poured down.

Nicolas
2007-Jul-26, 10:36 PM
I saw that collection of cars in the corner thingy on youtube afterwards. Kind of fun (when you know that all ended well) to see the one driver that already got out of his car climbing high up the fences to get clear of the line of cars skidding towards him. And then Luizi, zip past the SC and right next to the tractor...

But already before that things got weird, when the rain started one of the first drivers took the outer part of the last chicane (a road normally not allowed, I mean AFAIK it follows the general rules of cutting a chicane), but being allowed to do so because he went into the pits anyway. And then that Hamilton crane trick "maze in the rules" thingy...apparently Schumacher (IIRC) once did something similar.

The championship is great this year. Not only personally, but also for the championship it's a good thing that Hamilton's crash was without serious consequences. But when you see it at normal speed, he really was thrown like a spear into the tire wall.

Lianachan
2007-Jul-26, 11:02 PM
Is there some sport where physically fit nuclear physicists play brain surgeons and requires you to have an IQ of 140+, the body of Atlas, and a success rate of 98.735%?

Yup - we have one here! It's called camanachd. Granted, standards may have dropped since I used to play it.

;)

Lianachan
2007-Jul-26, 11:23 PM
Bravo! Your dedication to your sport is admirable! Hope you recovered 100%. What did you do to your opponents?Cheers. The ankle put me out of the game, and still gives the occasional twinge if I walk long distances (which is unfortunate, as I frequently walk long distances). I was actually quite a nice player, and as far as I remember I never injured anybody to the extent that they had to leave the pitch. I was usually a goalkeeper, and had no regard for my personal safety (a hangover from my even earlier shinty days).
If only your effort and enthusiasm would infiltrate the ranks of the professionals. That's one of the reasons why I really like A, AA, and AAA minor league baseball here in the states. The players don't yet have it made, or, for those "sent down", are trying to get back to the higher level. Therefore the intensity of play, the hustle, is much greater than one sees in "the big show".There's generally speaking a good attitude at the lower levels of the game here - certainly in Scotland, anyway. Most of the pouting primadonnas wouldn't last up here, they'd soon have some perspective kicked into them.

Trebuchet
2007-Jul-26, 11:27 PM
I just want to say I find it fascinating that we've managed to run a thread started by a hit-and-run poster who was just plugging his website into four pages!

Argos
2007-Jul-27, 01:42 PM

You if liked Beckham, youll love Zidane. :)

Just read that hes been offered 36M Euros to play for LA Galaxy.

Fazor
2007-Jul-27, 01:51 PM
But if the Galaxy had two big-names like that, mightn't they butt heads (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/13/zidane_headbutt_outrage/)? I really couldn't help myself, sorry.

captain swoop
2007-Jul-27, 01:54 PM
Soccer is popular because all you need is a ball, and jumpers, jackets for Goalposts.

the main difference between Rugby and US Football is that no forward pass is allowed and all your players have to stay behind the ball.

Fazor
2007-Jul-27, 01:58 PM
Soccer is popular because all you need is a ball, and jumpers, jackets for Goalposts.

the main difference between Rugby and US Football is that no forward pass is allowed and all your players have to stay behind the ball.

That and you don't have time out between plays, really. And there's no time out for offense/defense transition.

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 02:06 PM
@ Argos: Yes. Ghana made the final 16 and were immediately eliminated by that foul and mean team from Brazil. :)

We also made the final 16, and were then cruelly beaten by a girlyman Italian dive which conned the ref into giving a penalty in the 119th minute.

Yes, I'm still angry

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-27, 02:09 PM
You if liked Beckham, youll love Zidane. :)

Just read that hes been offered 36M Euros to play for LA Galaxy.

Zidane is a "10" in my book. :lol:

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 02:10 PM
I was going from memory. He mentioned two levels/leagues of rugby as 1 and 2. Are there two?

There are two leagues, Union and League, but neither have competitions by that name

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-27, 02:10 PM
We also made the final 16, and were then cruelly beaten by a girlyman Italian dive which conned the ref into giving a penalty in the 119th minute.

Yes, I'm still angry

I remember - but at least your team made the final 16. :cry:

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 02:11 PM

There are two variaties, Union and League, but neither have competitions by that name

Btw, when i said most popular sports i was talking about participation levels, otherwise cricket would rank lower because no-one watches the domestic comp

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 02:22 PM
You mean Pele had a parallel career in football in addition to soccer? What position did he play? Bet it was special teams, returning kicks.

Now, the great thing about Australian Rules Football is, if a player goes psycho, the men in the white coats are right there, ready to take him away. Fun sport

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UkGLFwuJBI4

I love my aussie rules fights, pity they're now a thing of the past

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 02:27 PM
I remember - but at least your team made the final 16. :cry:

Yep, first time we ever won a match in the world cup, Lygon Street (main Italian centre round here) was a good place to be for those couple of weeks, suddenly every bar had a big TV showing the soccer, which certainly went down well with the locals

Doodler
2007-Jul-27, 02:49 PM
You mean Pele had a parallel career in football in addition to soccer? What position did he play? Bet it was special teams, returning kicks.

Now, the great thing about Australian Rules Football is, if a player goes psycho, the men in the white coats are right there, ready to take him away. Fun sport!

Aussie football was once explained to me as "No guns, no knives, everything else is fair game".

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 03:01 PM
Aussie football was once explained to me as "No guns, no knives, everything else is fair game".

That's about right

captain swoop
2007-Jul-27, 05:17 PM
Rugby has 2 'Codes' Union and league.

Until recently Union was an all Amateur game, even the internationals were amateur. It's the game of the Public Schoolboy and university.

League is the professional game, it has 13 instead of 15 men on the pitch and other rule variations that make for a much faster, exciting game to watch. it's traditionaly the game of the Northern Working Class.

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-27, 11:48 PM
Rugby has 2 'Codes' Union and league.

Until recently Union was an all Amateur game, even the internationals were amateur. It's the game of the Public Schoolboy and university.

League is the professional game, it has 13 instead of 15 men on the pitch and other rule variations that make for a much faster, exciting game to watch. it's traditionaly the game of the Northern Working Class.

Union is also more popular worldwide than league, league is only really played in 3 countries (UK, Australia and NZ) and union is played in all of the above, plus France, the pacific islands, Italy, South Africa and Argentina, with many more countries playing in a minor fashion

captain swoop
2007-Jul-28, 12:37 AM
France had a very strong League following up until WW2. The union followers persuaded the Vichy Govt to confiscate the league grounds and ban the game. The ban was only lifeted in the 80s. they never got their grounds back.

Damien Evans
2007-Jul-28, 04:08 AM
France had a very strong League following up until WW2. The union followers persuaded the Vichy Govt to confiscate the league grounds and ban the game. The ban was only lifeted in the 80s. they never got their grounds back.

Serves them right for playing the crap version of Rugby then:shifty:

Gillianren
2007-Jul-28, 04:34 PM
So much for the celebratory surge in Iraq.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1084/iconbrickwall8ya.gif

Yeah. It also says some awfully depressing things about people.

For the record: I know the World Cup's every four years; I lived near Pasadena during the one held in the US--they took over our stadium, didn't they? Or the Colosseum in LA, anyway. Can't remember which. I don't remember what year that was, however, which means I can't remember their schedule. I know blessed little about any sport. I don't even really know anything about competition in curling, the only sport I enjoy watching.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-28, 04:39 PM
For those interested in the Asian Cup results (all others need not reply :silenced:):

Korea defeated Japan (PEN) today to take third place.

Iraq plays Saudi Arabia tomorrow in the final.

A.DIM
2007-Jul-29, 05:03 PM
Iraq win!

Tucson_Tim
2007-Jul-29, 05:16 PM
Iraq win!

Cool!