PDA

View Full Version : The backwards Earth.

Zero Signal
2003-Jul-01, 06:29 PM
This is yet another of my greatest peeves when it comes to BA in movies. My motivation for writing this comes from two offendending movies I've seen in the past few day: Alien Resurrection and Critters. There are other offending movies as well, though I can't recall them right off hand.

Sometimes you'll see a shot of the Earth from space... and it's backwards! ARRGH! And it's always this picture that's been reversed: http://www.msss.com/earth/earth.gif. Madagascar and the eastern horn of Africa are now on the west, and western Africa is now on the east side. Having the image of Earth reversed has always grated at my nerves. Have they no respect for our planet?[/img]

Stuart
2003-Jul-01, 06:31 PM
AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

And Israel's at the top! Its a conspiracy I tell you.

pmcolt
2003-Jul-01, 06:41 PM
The movies are actually set on the alternate Earth, on the other side of the sun, where everything's opposite. ;)

Mr. X
2003-Jul-01, 07:24 PM
How do you mean? You mean that sometimes in movies Africa "points" (I mean Senegal) would be on the right of the photograph and Madagascar would be on the left?

I've never seen this in any movie, are you sure that was there?

gethen
2003-Jul-01, 09:31 PM
AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

And Israel's at the top! Its a conspiracy I tell you.

Raising the specter of the lost Rose--for shame. :wink:

DataCable
2003-Jul-02, 06:04 AM
You think that's bad, I seem to recall that photo was reverse-printed in one of my Jr. High or High school Social Studies books. (the teacher pointed it out to us)

freddo
2003-Jul-02, 06:10 AM
But what causes people to reverse that image in the first place????

I just don't get it.

captain swoop
2003-Jul-02, 08:17 AM
The movies are actually set on the alternate Earth, on the other side of the sun, where everything's opposite. ;)

That would be Mondas home of the Cybermen.

Jason Thompson
2003-Jul-02, 08:37 AM
Ah, but Mondas was flipped top to bottom, not left to right, and it was blown up in 1986 when the Cybermen invaded....

I'll get me coat... :)

glen chapman
2003-Jul-02, 12:34 PM
Someone asked how this reverse image can happen. Easy the film processor puts the negative in the developer the wrong way round.

Can happen to anyone - next time you have the misfortune of seeing the horrific explosion on board the Arizona during the Pearl Harbor attack - I mean newsreel, not motion picture. Check which way the ship is pointing. Sometimes left, sometimes right.

Often such a mistake can be made because no one knows which way the thing is supposed to point - though in terms of the Earth, you'd think they would.

Glen

captain swoop
2003-Jul-02, 12:34 PM
Ah, but Mondas was flipped top to bottom, not left to right, and it was blown up in 1986 when the Cybermen invaded....

I'll get me coat... :)

Season 22 'Attack of the Cybermen'
8)

Iain Lambert
2003-Jul-02, 12:39 PM
Alien Resurrection

Really? I never noticed - I'll have to go look tonight.

By the way, I think the reason I didn't notice is because its quite a close zoom of that image, and when I didn't recognise the continent, I just assumed they were implying drift, as its set in the far future...

edit - Oh yes:

Factual Errors: Image of Earth is reversed as Auriga approaches.

Factual Errors: Normal air pressure (about 14.7 psi) couldn't possibly force the creature's body out through such a tiny hole.

Factual Errors: At the altitude shown in the end scene, the missing window on the ship would have made the temperature -60F and would still be decompressing the ship.

Jason Thompson
2003-Jul-02, 01:24 PM
>>Season 22 'Attack of the Cybermen'<<

Season 4, The Tenth Planet actually. Attack of the Cybermen was the one where they wanted to stop Mondas being destroyed by ramming Earth with Halley's comet. We actually see Mondas in The Tenth Planet. It looks suspiciously like the BBC ident globe of the 1960s played upisde down and backwards.... ;)

dgruss23
2003-Jul-02, 01:44 PM
I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but we do have a whole Southern Hemisphere on this planet and for people in Australia and South America, they might prefer to see the world like this. (http://www.diversophy.com/images/upside_down_map.jpg) Is the perspective of Africa in this map what you're referring to?

captain swoop
2003-Jul-02, 01:49 PM
>>Season 22 'Attack of the Cybermen'<<

Season 4, The Tenth Planet actually. Attack of the Cybermen was the one where they wanted to stop Mondas being destroyed by ramming Earth with Halley's comet. We actually see Mondas in The Tenth Planet. It looks suspiciously like the BBC ident globe of the 1960s played upisde down and backwards.... ;)

Of course William Hartnells last adventure.

I forgot that Mondas disintegrated after absorbing too much energy when the Z Bomb exploded. :-?

Jason Thompson
2003-Jul-02, 02:05 PM
>>I forgot that Mondas disintegrated after absorbing too much energy when the Z Bomb
exploded.<<

You also forgot that the Z bomb never expoded. In part 4 the Cybermen planned to use the Z bomb to destroy Earth (a modification of General Cutler's plan to destroy Mondas with the Z bomb) in order to prevent Mondas absorbing too much energy from it, but the plan failed, the Z bomb was never used, and Mondas absorbed more energy from Earth than it could cope with and melted like a big polystyrene ball under a blowtorch (which it was for that sequence!).

ToSeek
2003-Jul-02, 03:09 PM

Nancy - I mean the Zetas - say there actually is such a planet, and NASA is covering it up.

captain swoop
2003-Jul-02, 03:48 PM
>>I forgot that Mondas disintegrated after absorbing too much energy when the Z Bomb
exploded.<<

You also forgot that the Z bomb never expoded. In part 4 the Cybermen planned to use the Z bomb to destroy Earth (a modification of General Cutler's plan to destroy Mondas with the Z bomb) in order to prevent Mondas absorbing too much energy from it, but the plan failed, the Z bomb was never used, and Mondas absorbed more energy from Earth than it could cope with and melted like a big polystyrene ball under a blowtorch (which it was for that sequence!).

Gosh, it's ages since I saw a BW Dr Who, I like Pertwee abd Baker I am afraid.

Iain Lambert
2003-Jul-02, 04:52 PM
Nancy - I mean the Zetas - say there actually is such a planet, and NASA is covering it up.

However, unlike Mondas, Nibiru is a work of fiction.

tracer
2003-Jul-02, 05:59 PM
"Mondas"? Shouldn't counter-earth be called "Htrae"?

Several years ago, I ran into a guy who insisted that there was a counter-Earth on the exact opposite side of the Sun from us. When I pointed out that space probes with cameras on them had been sent to other parts of the inner solar system (e.g. Venera, Pioneer Venus, etc.), and that none of these space probes had detected a planet in the location where counter-Earth would have to be, he replied that the aliens on counter-Earth were "cloaking" the planet.

captain swoop
2003-Jul-03, 12:13 PM
"Mondas"? Shouldn't counter-earth be called "Htrae"?

Several years ago, I ran into a guy who insisted that there was a counter-Earth on the exact opposite side of the Sun from us. When I pointed out that space probes with cameras on them had been sent to other parts of the inner solar system (e.g. Venera, Pioneer Venus, etc.), and that none of these space probes had detected a planet in the location where counter-Earth would have to be, he replied that the aliens on counter-Earth were "cloaking" the planet.

Gerry Anderson did a movie about a mission to the Earths twin planet, can't remember its name now though.

dgruss23
2003-Jul-03, 03:03 PM
I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but we do have a whole Southern Hemisphere on this planet and for people in Australia and South America, they might prefer to see the world like this. (http://www.diversophy.com/images/upside_down_map.jpg) Is the perspective of Africa in this map what you're referring to?

I don't mean to divert from the current trend of the thread, but I'm curious if the map I linked to above is the perspective that zero signal was talking about.

kilopi
2003-Jul-03, 04:10 PM
I don't mean to divert from the current trend of the thread, but I'm curious if the map I linked to above is the perspective that zero signal was talking about.
zero signal may not be coming back, but I think I can answer this question for them--after rereading the OP, I am absolutely certain that the answer is no, that is not what they were talking about. :)

dgruss23
2003-Jul-03, 06:37 PM
Ok I see, what I linked to was turned upside down. zero signal was referring to shots in which Africa is reversed but still normal side up. I don't think I've ever noticed that in a movie before. Hmmm.