PDA

View Full Version : Is Mars' moon Phobos real?

AstroMike
2002-Feb-26, 09:57 PM
http://www.presidentialufo.8m.com/eisenhow5.htm

This is unbelievable. Now people are claiming that some celestial bodies aren't real? Boy, I will never understand people like this, who apparently don't understand astronomy. Is it so hard to open an astronomy book and read?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AstroMike on 2002-02-26 16:57 ]</font>

The Incubus
2002-Feb-26, 10:08 PM
On 2002-02-26 16:57, AstroMike wrote:
http://www.presidentialufo.8m.com/eisenhow5.htm

This is unbelievable. Now people are claiming that some celestial bodies aren't real? Boy, I will never understand people like this, who apparently don't understand astronomy. Is it so hard to open an astronomy book and read?

Aparently. What's next, will they say that there are alien bases on the moon?

Oh wait...they already have. =-)

The unusually sarcastic today, Incubus

Simon
2002-Feb-26, 10:12 PM
...erm, don't they sort of have PICTURES of it?

Oh wait, no, those are pictures of a potato, spray-painted grey. It looks strange because it's been mutated either my secret nuclear tests or because of weird extraterrestrial death-ray technology. And you can tell it's fake 'cause all the pictures are on a black background, so it's just a black backdrop cloth, because you can't see any stars.

...I think I might be getting cynical. I need to go lie down.

Before I go, just notice that all the dates cited are BEFORE probes went to Mars. One is even before manned spaceflight.

And the REALLY ironic thing is I rather like that brand of mid-fifties pulp sci-fi...

Grant Cameron
2002-Feb-26, 11:49 PM
Let us not replace bad astronomy with bad reading. The piece you decry is from a historical website on presidential involvement in the UFO phenomena. It is in the Eisenhower section.

The point of the piece is to show that the Eisenhower administration was getting such advise, and it appeared they were accepting it. This information about advise they were receiving in private casts a new light on very different public statements that they were making on space and the UFO situation of the day.

Grant Cameron

Jigsaw
2002-Feb-27, 02:08 AM
Well, okay, but has anybody ever actually PROVED that Phobos ISN'T a hollow artificial satellite, launched eons ago by the Martians?

<< ow, ow, stop, stop, I'm kidding, sheesh, can't you tell when a person's KIDDING >>

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, if it's the same Fred Singer, he's planning a manned mission to Phobos to check it out. Now all he needs is $40 billion.
http://www.sepp.org/Ph-Dproject.htm

And, evidently this is why he thought Phobos must be artificial.

I had formed a good theory about the capture of the Moon by the primitive Earth, but I was stumped by the puzzling orbits of the Martian moons.
But, I dunno what he means by their "puzzling orbits". Do they have puzzling orbits? In a word, "huh?"

Chip
2002-Feb-27, 04:44 AM
That website claims the following:

"Hours before Ike's church appearance, he was reported missing from the Smoke Tree Ranch. Countless stories have circulated that Ike made a quick trip to nearby Edward's Air Force base where he met with landed aliens."

Aliens? Baloney! They got that wrong for sure. Ike went to meet Tina Turner. (I can believe in Tina Turner!) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

David Simmons
2002-Feb-27, 05:49 AM
On 2002-02-26 23:44, Chip wrote:
That website claims the following:

"Hours before Ike's church appearance, he was reported missing from the Smoke Tree Ranch. Countless stories have circulated that Ike made a quick trip to nearby Edward's Air Force base where he met with landed aliens."

Aliens? Baloney! They got that wrong for sure. Ike went to meet Tina Turner. (I can believe in Tina Turner!) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, the "ranch" closest to Edwards AFB was Pancho Barnes' Happy Bottom Riding Club just a little east of Rosamond, CA and almost on the Edwards reservation.

Air Force officials tried hard to shut ole Pancho down and finally, I think, had to buy her out.

If Ike ever patronized the place, it didn't make the news.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Simmons on 2002-02-27 00:50 ]</font>

John Kierein
2002-Feb-27, 01:29 PM
Schlovsky was quite a good astronomer. I've read his book co-authored by Sagan. It is really the basis for "Contact". Phobos is light and there was speculation that it could be hollow.

Phobos
2002-Mar-02, 10:12 PM
Let it be known to all that I am going on the record for all to know that I may be a little hollow, but the hollowness diminishes after I have had something to eat!

Phobos

Gsquare
2002-Mar-04, 02:13 AM
Phobos wrote:
Let it be known to all that I am going on the record for all to know that I may be a little hollow,....

Phobos

That's not the point! We want to know if you've been intentionally disobeying Kepler's Laws of orbital motion ?? If so, we insist these 'puzzling' orbits cease or we will be forced to dispatch a team of UFO experts to investigate.

ChallegedChimp
2002-Mar-05, 01:57 PM
Man....
And I thought "I" was a really really dumb monkey. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Then again, i am

Mnemonia
2002-Mar-06, 01:47 PM
On 2002-02-26 21:08, Jigsaw wrote:

I had formed a good theory about the capture of the Moon by the primitive Earth, but I was stumped by the puzzling orbits of the Martian moons.
But, I dunno what he means by their "puzzling orbits". Do they have puzzling orbits? In a word, "huh?"

Maybe he is confounded by how close to Mars Phobos and Deimos orbit? I doubt he meant horseshoe and figure eight orbits (which really would be puzzling).

Another Phobos
2002-Mar-07, 03:41 PM
On 2002-03-02 17:12, Phobos wrote:
Let it be known to all that I am going on the record for all to know that I may be a little hollow, but the hollowness diminishes after I have had something to eat!

I'm an artificial satellite made by ancient Venusians & sent to observe Mars...not a satellite made by Martians. Hmph. Martians can't even dig themselves out from their underground caves. Troglodites. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Another Phobos
2002-Mar-07, 03:49 PM
I'd note that Singer's idea presented on that website is from the 1960s. Actual missions to Phobos were completed in 1971, 1977, and 1988...no secret base was found.
http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/phobos.html

I assume this Dr. Singer is the same one that is currently railing against the idea of Global Warming.