PDA

View Full Version : M17 Swan Nebula from A.S.I.G.N.

bloodhound31
2007-Aug-03, 03:01 PM
I had a slight tracking problem, which means I will be doing this one again, however, I am still very happy with the image data. It was good practice.

7 x 4 Minute exposures, stacked on Deep Sky Stacker with offsets and darks removed. Cropped and resized.

Manual guided Canon400D on Skywatcher Pro series ED80.

Baz.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4lh3o0w.jpg

Palomar
2007-Aug-03, 03:21 PM
Yes, it's just a bit blurry, but can see the swan quite distinctly.

:)

tegwilym
2007-Aug-03, 04:53 PM
Nice data in that frame. Once you get that tracking down it will be a really nice image. The guiding is a real pain, I'm still working on getting mine more accurate, but my stars still often end up looking like Twinkies!

Tom
www.eastsideastro.org/observatory

JAICOA
2007-Aug-04, 02:29 AM
Even with the tracking errors the color data is pretty nice for a low time exposure. Looking forward to see when tracking gets resolved.

bloodhound31
2007-Aug-04, 02:59 AM
Even with the tracking errors the color data is pretty nice for a low time exposure. Looking forward to see when tracking gets resolved.

It's definitely tracking.

All the subs have long stars. I think it's because of 2 reasons.

1. I had the ISO on 1600. Didn't realise it until after the session.

FIX: I will drop to a more forgiving ISO800 next time and do more subs.

2. Also, the guide star I used for manual tracking was too dim. I had to use averted vision sometimes to see it, so I couldn't keep it accurately centred.

FIX: I will use a brighter guide star!

Lessons learned!

Baz.

tvdavis
2007-Aug-05, 03:31 AM
"2. Also, the guide star I used for manual tracking was too dim."

You visually/manually track? Wow, good for you!! I remember those days. Autoguiding makes all the difference in the world. Keep up the good work.

Tom