PDA

View Full Version : Best Episode of Star Trek (original series):Round 1f

Lord Jubjub
2007-Aug-05, 01:39 PM
The episodes are being presented in order of numbering. The airdates are in a slightly different order. Catspaw is the first episode of Season 2.

Episode Title: 'The Devil in the Dark'
Synopsis: "A creature that can eat its way through solid rock is killing miners on a distant outpost."

Episode Title: 'Errand of Mercy'
Synopsis: "Sent to establish an alliance with the peaceful, unsophisticated planet Organia which is located strategically between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, Kirk is disgusted to find the inhabitants apathetic to the presence of Klingons on their world."

Episode Title: 'The City on the Edge of Forever'
Synopsis: "An accidental drug overdose sends Dr. McCoy on a disastrous trip through a time portal, where he changes the course of Earth's history. Kirk and Spock pursue him into the past, where Kirk falls in love with a social worker whose life plays a pivotal role in the events McCoy will affect."

Episode Title: 'Operation: Annihilate!'
Synopsis: "Kirk's brother's family is devastated by an interplanetary crisis of mass insanity and Spock is attacked by one of the creatures which caused the crisis. McCoy must find a way to kill the aliens without destroying their hosts before the creatures can take over the galaxy."

Episode Title: 'Catspaw'
Synopsis: "The crew comes into conflict with aliens from another galaxy who use images from Western witchcraft - black cats, scepters, medieval torture rooms - to frighten their prey into submission."

MG1962A
2007-Aug-05, 08:49 PM
I loved Devil in the Dark, was the first novelisation I read by the wonderful James Blish. One of the first instances I can think of a sympathetic alien creature who is totally justified in killing the humans around them

Van Rijn
2007-Aug-05, 10:09 PM
Now we're getting into some of my favorites. The Horta in "Devil in the Dark" were physically a true non-human (even non-carbon) species. This was a good first contact with obvious alien intelligence story.

And, of course, "City on the Edge of Forever" with one of the better time travel stories. I also liked "Errand of Mercy" and "Operation: Annihilate" but they're more in my "fun, but not great" category.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Aug-06, 02:39 AM
Devil, City and Operation were my picks.
Devil was nice and, I think, the best portrayal I've seen of a truly strange species.
CotEoF is a classic, but not really one of my favorites. Despite the emotional conflicts, I didn't think the portrayals were vivid enough to create the angst that the show required.
O:A is a good character study of Spock
Catspaw. . another god-like alien. It had some moments early on, but it couldn't hold the story.

Josh
2007-Aug-06, 06:24 AM
City on the Edge of Forever gets my vote! Not only is it a good episode .. but my cousin (http://allyourtrekarebelongto.us/keeler.jpg) is in it!

Maksutov
2007-Aug-06, 06:31 AM
Kissin' cousins (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057227/)?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Josh
2007-Aug-06, 06:58 AM
No relation.

Maksutov
2007-Aug-06, 07:30 AM
Bummer.

Here I thought you were going to start your own Dynasty (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081856/).

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Josh
2007-Aug-06, 09:27 AM
Okay ... that one I'll give ya :p

Maksutov
2007-Aug-06, 10:18 AM
BTW, what's "Operation: Annhilate!"?

Is that where the King of Siam causes the tutor of his children to start breathing rapidly?

:think:

Hokie
2007-Aug-06, 03:57 PM
The City on the Edge of Forever no contest

tlbs101
2007-Aug-07, 05:21 PM
Didn't City on the Edge of Forever win some Sci-Fi-equivalent-of-an-Emmy award?

If I could give it 2 (or more) votes, I would.

Trivia: Notice the Fallout Shelter signs on buildings from the scenes set in the 1930's -- at a time when the atomic bomb was but an idea in a few physicists heads.

Extravoice
2007-Aug-07, 05:33 PM
I just realized that I can vote for more than one! :doh:

Just in time, too! "City on the Edge..." and "Devil in the Dark" are two of my favorites.

Palomar
2007-Aug-07, 07:18 PM
Operation: Annihilate! is my favorite.

City on the Edge of Forever is SO over-rated. So Kirk falls in love with that woman, so what? He was forever falling in love...

Van Rijn
2007-Aug-07, 08:13 PM
[City on the Edge of Forever is SO over-rated. So Kirk falls in love with that woman, so what? He was forever falling in love...

But, he had to let her (a good person) die to save the world. This wasn't one of those episodes where they pull a trick out of the hat to save everybody in a nice way. Rather, he had to do something he hated.

Jim
2007-Aug-07, 10:08 PM
Didn't City on the Edge of Forever win some Sci-Fi-equivalent-of-an-Emmy award?

It won the 1968 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation.

Palomar
2007-Aug-07, 10:42 PM
But, he had to let her (a good person) die to save the world. This wasn't one of those episodes where they pull a trick out of the hat to save everybody in a nice way. Rather, he had to do something he hated.

Guess it's been a while since I've seen that episode. :doh: Okay, memory coming back...

Probably I tuned it out for the most part because I always seriously disliked the episodes where they're in some parallel/past era Earth-like world. :rolleyes:

Been quite a while since I've watched ST. I do have the animated series (early 1970s) on DVD, entire collection. Need to watch those; saw them as a little kid (when piano lessons didn't interfere).

Back on topic --

------
Cindy

Lord Jubjub
2007-Aug-08, 02:12 AM
Wow, Catspaw is getting absolutely no love. Definitely a leading candidate for worst of TOS.

hmm, Moderator? I tend to pronounce annihilate as an-ni-late, so I tend to forget to add a middle vowel. . .

I, too, really don't like time travel/parallel universe stories. 'City' works as well as it does because Kirk knows going in that she is going to die and that he must work to make sure she does.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-08, 02:24 AM
'City' works as well as it does because Kirk knows going in that she is going to die and that he must work to make sure she does.

Wasn't that Joan Collins? Kirk should have pushed her! :):lol:

Josh
2007-Aug-08, 06:58 AM
Wasn't that Joan Collins? Kirk should have pushed her! :):lol:

Oi ... that's my cousin you're talking about!

Hokie
2007-Aug-08, 04:00 PM
City on the Edge of Forever is SO over-rated. So Kirk falls in love with that woman, so what? He was forever falling in love...

No, he fell in love with Edith he has meaningless relations with others.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-08, 11:36 PM
Oi ... that's my cousin you're talking about!

Whoops! :)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-09, 12:02 AM
Whoops! :)

Hey, maybe that's what Kirk said. :lol:

Josh
2007-Aug-09, 12:24 AM
"Tell your mum I saved y... whoops"

springa
2007-Aug-10, 10:47 PM
I especially liked "Devil in the Dark" because it is one of the few TOS episodes that deals with a truly "alien" life form - not just non-humanoid, but not really resembling any kind of life on earth. It also brings up the question of whether people would immediately recognize more exotic life forms as being alive.

Noclevername
2007-Aug-11, 07:51 PM
No, he fell in love with Edith he has meaningless relations with others.

He fell in love with the android chick in "Requiem for Methuselah", but Spock made him forget. He got married and got his wife pregnant when he was "Kurok".

Hokie
2007-Aug-14, 04:13 PM
He got married and got his wife pregnant when he was "Kurok".

But he was suffering from memory loss at the time so he was not exactly himself. Would he get hitched if he was not suffering from amnesia?