PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with 'neonate' and 'montevideo'?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 05:41 PM
No matter what time of the day or night for the last few weeks, these two ids (neonate and montevideo) are always in a "Logging in" status. They are both related because they were created within one day of each other, have zero posts, and have the same homepage.

Just curious.

Serenitude
2007-Aug-06, 05:45 PM
This would have probably made a much better PM to a mod/administrator, for future reference ;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 05:46 PM
This would have probably made a much better PM to a mod/administrator, for future reference ;)

For future reference, this isn't the first time that someone started a thread about weird user IDs.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 05:50 PM
Like this thread (with 36 posts):

http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/62246-so-who-mystery-member.html

2007-Aug-06, 06:28 PM
Isn't there something in the rules covering linking to adult-content websites in your profile? I think these (and many of those in the other thread (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/62246-so-who-mystery-member.html)) qualify. "Do not use this bulletin board as a vehicle to promote your own website, product, or forum, nor to sell merchandise." They're probably commercial; I'm not in a mood for careful examination. It's not links in articles, but it is using the forum. Eww.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 06:34 PM
Isn't there something in the rules covering linking to adult-content websites in your profile? I think these (and many of those in the other thread (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/62246-so-who-mystery-member.html)) qualify. "Do not use this bulletin board as a vehicle to promote your own website, product, or forum, nor to sell merchandise." They're probably commercial; I'm not in a mood for careful examination. It's not links in articles, but it is using the forum. Eww.

I didn't click on their links. Wow. Looks like a good enough reason to ban these two ids.

Serenitude
2007-Aug-06, 10:25 PM
For future reference, this isn't the first time that someone started a thread about weird user IDs.

For future reference, it still doesn't make it right ;)

And for future reference, I'm vaguely familiar with general posting trends here ;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 10:38 PM
For future reference, it still doesn't make it right ;)

Then why pick on my thread, if you are "aware of the trends". Pick on that thread too.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 10:40 PM
And why aren't you using the PM function with me, instead of making this a public thrashing?

For future reference, it still doesn't make it right.

And for future reference, tell me why this thread is wrong.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-06, 11:46 PM

I waited till I got home to click on the homepages of those two ids. You're right - naughty stuff.

Serenitude
2007-Aug-07, 07:12 AM
Then why pick on my thread, if you are "aware of the trends". Pick on that thread too.

First of all, please do not tell me how to moderate. Let's consider this a freindly tip.

Second off, I've been away for a little while, for reasons I don't have to explain to you.

Third, come to think of it, I don't HAVE to explain ANYTHING to you. I most definately do not have to follow your orders. Conversely, to remain a member here, you would do well to heed moderator advice. That's just the way it is. I don't like to take this stance, but there you have it.

Serenitude
2007-Aug-07, 07:21 AM
And why aren't you using the PM function with me, instead of making this a public thrashing?

Because you started the thread. I am correcting the problem in the thread. It is my perogative, and again, for reasons I am not obliged to share. If you consider "this would have been better left to a PM" a public thrashing, you have a strange idea of "public thrashing". I encourage you to PM another moderator or the owners of the site if you feel you are being treated unfairly in this thread.

And for future reference, tell me why this thread is wrong.

For future reference, it's enough for me to tell you that it is. But if you consider civility and decorum, you can probably figure it out. Forgive me if this is out of sorts with my normal character, but your attitude and posts since my initial, friendly advice have left me with little desire but to invoke my base duty as moderator when dealing with you in this thread. You may now please be advised to read the BAUT forum rules, in particular Rule 17, and decide your conduct from this point. Consider this a little more than freindly warning this time ;)

BTW: I'm still very much enjoying your posts in the rest of the forum. I do hope you drop the confrontational attitude in this thread, relax, and enjoy your time and experience at BAUT. I plan to forget this thread, unless you are determined to escalate it.

R.A.F.
2007-Aug-07, 11:45 AM
I don't HAVE to explain ANYTHING to you.

IMHO, If you're going to chastise Tim for his "attitude", it probably would be best not to display an "attitude" of your own.

Again, that's just my opinion.

R.A.F.
2007-Aug-07, 12:16 PM
Isn't there something in the rules covering linking to adult-content websites in your profile?

This was posted just before noon, yesterday, yet the 2 "offenders" mentioned haven't been banned.

Jerry
2007-Aug-07, 01:44 PM
Maybe the moderators are too busy evaluating the links:)

ToSeek
2007-Aug-07, 01:45 PM
Neonate and montevideo have been perma-banned. In future, for problems like these, it's better to PM a moderator than to create a thread publicly drawing attention to these people and giving them the very publicity they're looking for.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-07, 02:06 PM
Neonate and montevideo have been perma-banned. In future, for problems like these, it's better to PM a moderator than to create a thread publicly drawing attention to these people and giving them the very publicity they're looking for.

ToSeek, Thank you for the reason. I understand that now. Too bad the other moderator couldn't explain why.

Second off, I've been away for a little while, for reasons I don't have to explain to you.

Serenitude, I didn't ask. Wouldn't dream of asking.

hhEb09'1
2007-Aug-07, 02:12 PM
Neonate and montevideo have been perma-banned. In future, for problems like these, it's better to PM a moderator than to create a thread publicly drawing attention to these people and giving them the very publicity they're looking for.I don't see the problem with it really. Half of one, six of the other.

I found it an interesting topic, which I would not have noticed on my own. I might be looking for things like that in the future, because of this thread. I am wondering if there really is a problem to correct here.

R.A.F.
2007-Aug-07, 02:18 PM
Thanks, ToSeek. :)

Tinaa
2007-Aug-07, 02:19 PM
Just to let y'all know I wasn't ignoring the complaint, banning the users has not solved the problem. I tried that when I saw this thread but the users names are still up and show logging in. I've tried to remove the homepage, but that didn't work either. Still trying to figure this one out.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Aug-07, 02:20 PM
I think this thread has been valuable for pointing out a way that some unscrupulous people may have for spamming us with their websites -- namely, register as a user, put the site in their profile, and then use a script to keep the user continuously logged in. Eventually someone will be curious about the user, check the profile as Tucson_Tim did, and bingo! another hit on the website.

On occasion I've reported obvious spam posts using the report button and occasionally PM'ed moderators about possible problematic new users based on their names. I'm not sure if I would ever catch this particular scam, so I congratulate Tucson_Tim for being observant.

But if I ever do, I will PM the moderators. For future reference. ;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-07, 02:22 PM
Just to let y'all know I wasn't ignoring the complaint, banning the users has not solved the problem. I tried that when I saw this thread but the users names are still up and show logging in. I've tried to remove the homepage, but that didn't work either. Still trying to figure this one out.

Thank you. I was just curious when I started the thread. I didn't realize, until 01101001 pointed it out, that the homepages of these ids were questionable.

grant hutchison
2007-Aug-07, 02:25 PM
I found it an interesting topic, which I would not have noticed on my own. I might be looking for things like that in the future, because of this thread. I am wondering if there really is a problem to correct here.Seems to me that if these were blameless individuals who just happened to stay logged on, then starting a thread about them is a little intrusive. And if they are "blameful" individuals whose purpose is to link to some other site for their own purposes, then starting a thread about them plays into their hands, to some small extent. This is particularly true because banned users still seem to be able to log on these days: I recently noticed minibee popping in and out shortly after his/her banning, and there has been a thread hereabouts on that same topic, IIRC.

So I guess I'm voting for the appropriateness of a PM, in the first instance. :)

Grant Hutchison

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-07, 02:25 PM
I think this thread has been valuable for pointing out a way that some unscrupulous people may have for spamming us with their websites -- namely, register as a user, put the site in their profile, and then use a script to keep the user continuously logged in. Eventually someone will be curious about the user, check the profile as Tucson_Tim did, and bingo! another hit on the website.

On occasion I've reported obvious spam posts using the report button and occasionally PM'ed moderators about possible problematic new users based on their names. I'm not sure if I would ever catch this particular scam, so I congratulate Tucson_Tim for being observant.

Thanks - but 01101001 deserves thanks for noticing the questionable nature of the homepages.

But if I ever do, I will PM the moderators. For future reference. ;)

I will too - now that I know.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-07, 02:26 PM
Seems to me that if these were blameless individuals who just happened to stay logged on, than starting a thread about them is a little intrusive. And if they are "blameful" individuals whose purpose is to link to some other site for their own purposes, then starting a thread about them plays into their hands, to some small extent. This is particularly true because banned users still seem to be able to log on these days: I recently noticed minibee popping in and out shortly after his/her banning, and there has been a thread hereabouts on that same topic.

So I guess I'm voting for the appropriateness of a PM, in the first instance. :)

Grant Hutchison

ToSeek already explained this.

grant hutchison
2007-Aug-07, 02:33 PM
ToSeek already explained this.I had some other points I thought were useful to make, in response to hhEb09'1: the possibility that innocent posters might find themselves the topic of a thread and under public discussion by moderators, and the fact that banning doesn't turn off the problem, at present.

Grant Hutchison

hhEb09'1
2007-Aug-07, 02:43 PM
Innocent? they're logging onto BAUT! :)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-07, 02:57 PM
Innocent? they're logging onto BAUT! :)

Yes. Here is the place to lose your innocence. :lol:

2007-Aug-07, 05:41 PM
Just a note for the fighters of evil: I Googled that wik-whatever site, mainly in an attempt to see if there were more on bautforum (didn't see any) and encountered, web-wide, maybe a couple hundred hits, mostly, or all, in forum profiles, many in foreign languages, each with a different username, all different English-dictionary words.

It really looks like a script operation (or other low-wage labor) that registers the names, links to the site, and keeps the bot-user logged in. Expect this abusive site's bots to try again after these two particular ones are dealt with.

And I expect more, from different sites, are already in our user base. I recall at least one of the punctuation-only names, in that other thread, had an objectionable link, and the other links, though not as sleazy, were very likely a commercial application of the same tactic.

Spammers: endless creativity inspired by greed. Oh, if we could only harness their talents for good...

Serenitude
2007-Aug-07, 06:52 PM
Tucson - I would like to take this opportunity to offer an apology. Note that it is unforced, and no "rule" obliges me to do so, so it is sincere. Although the advice I gave was meant to be freindly, I did let my emotions get the best of me in replying to you. That is very unprofessional and rather unbecoming of a BAUT moderator, and you have my sincere apology.

As more advice, though, I submit this - sometimes mods are just swamped. We may pop in with a short reminder - "play nice", "this is probably best left for PMs", etc... There is good reason behind the advice, and the short answers are usually due to time constraints. It's usually best to heed the advice, if it hasn't been rude, and PM for clarification if you still have doubts.

However, I let myself devolve to the tone, and for that, I apologize to you and anyone who might have read this. Thanks, and enjoy your stay here at BAUGT :)

hhEb09'1
2007-Aug-07, 06:58 PM
Thanks, and enjoy your stay here at BAUGT :)Bad Astronomy and Universe Guten Tag?

Serenitude
2007-Aug-07, 07:10 PM
ROFL :lol: Javul :)

Sleepy
2007-Aug-07, 08:56 PM
Just to let y'all know I wasn't ignoring the complaint, banning the users has not solved the problem. I tried that when I saw this thread but the users names are still up and show logging in. I've tried to remove the homepage, but that didn't work either. Still trying to figure this one out.You are not worthy being a mere mod. Summon an admin FTW

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-07, 10:55 PM
Tucson - I would like to take this opportunity to offer an apology.

Sincerely accepted. And the incident is promptly forgotten. :)

Maksutov
2007-Aug-08, 11:57 AM
Bad Astronomy and Universe Guten Tag?Nah.

Bad Astronomy Universal Greenwich Time.

After all, zero has to start somewhere...

Jawohl, mein Herr!

R.A.F.
2007-Aug-11, 02:06 PM
Re. "Neo", and "Monte"...and their continued appearance on the active users list...

I was wondering...the next time the board goes "off line", and all of the logged-in posters become logged-out posters...would that eliminate "N and M" from the active users list?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-11, 03:42 PM
I may be wrong about this but I think that the user IDs of banned users are still in the database and I believe a banned user can still attempt to logon, which these "bad" IDs are attempting to do. Maybe if this group of 4 user IDs were removed from the DB completely?

Serenitude
2007-Aug-11, 07:28 PM
We've noticed that, and are trying to come up with a way to combat this as we speak ;)

Neverfly
2007-Aug-11, 08:43 PM
I hardly ever post here and have gone back into lurker status myself but....

I wouldn't have noticed Monte-whatever and neo whoever without this thread.

Serenitude WAS right- its better to not publically make mention of it as it only draws attention to their advertising.

However Tucson was right too, I think, to react the way he did- and Serentiude rocks with seeing that too. Sometimes a Person doesnt quite think something all the way through before posting- (self included)
and its ANNOYING when someone goes off on them for it - (self included!! ive had to step back and evaluate some of my own reactions over that too many times...)

Rock On Serentude you pretty girly man you!

You know- I have noticed many times- and am probably hijacking here...
But gotta say...

But is ToSeek human?
Ive never seen him stumble. Maybe others have but I haven't.

He always makes these perfect little friendly posts that bring people back to reality.

As mods go- ToSeek seems to have a natural talent for being fair and controlled.
Yeah. I said it publically. Sue me.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-11, 09:55 PM
I hardly ever post here and have gone back into lurker status myself but....

I wouldn't have noticed Monte-whatever and neo whoever without this thread.

Serenitude WAS right- its better to not publically make mention of it as it only draws attention to their advertising.

However Tucson was right too, I think, to react the way he did- and Serentiude rocks with seeing that too. Sometimes a Person doesnt quite think something all the way through before posting- (self included)
and its ANNOYING when someone goes off on them for it - (self included!! ive had to step back and evaluate some of my own reactions over that too many times...)

Rock On Serentude you pretty girly man you!

You know- I have noticed many times- and am probably hijacking here...
But gotta say...

But is ToSeek human?
Ive never seen him stumble. Maybe others have but I haven't.

He always makes these perfect little friendly posts that bring people back to reality.

As mods go- ToSeek seems to have a natural talent for being fair and controlled.
Yeah. I said it publically. Sue me.

Neverfly, please stop!

This is spilt milk - water under the bridge - material. I agreed with the mods to stop discussing it here. Maybe one of the mods can lock this thread so noone else (including me) appends here.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-11, 10:11 PM
Removing this entire thread wouldn't be a bad idea either. :)

Hard to believe that folks who haven't posted in months would come out of lurker-mode just to add their two cents worth. :hand:

Serenitude
2007-Aug-11, 11:29 PM
Thanks to the community for being vigilant, and for not wanting such rubbish among us - a good thing to be sure. However, I think this thread has served it's purpose, and the mod team continues to watch this issue and look into ways of combatting it. Tucson and I have been quite amicable since - forgotten indeed, as two grown, rational people should consider such a trivial, temporary matter. Consequently, I'm going to close this thread. If anyone notices new activity, or has any input on combatting such problems, please PM a mod with any ideas.

Again, thanks, on behalf of the mod team for your continued vigilance :)