PDA

View Full Version : Episode idea

EvilEye
2007-Aug-06, 08:19 PM
I've read a little about this already, but I think it would be fascinating for people who never asked...

Can a super-massive black hole get TOO full?

or the other way of asking...

Can a super-massive black hole turn off?

I don't mean that there is nothing left around it to feed it... I mean is there a volume that just won't support the mass anymore and it begins to reject material... or cause negative gravity?

Could they be the source of dark matter?

George
2007-Aug-24, 05:29 PM
A color episode would be nice, not that they are not all colorful, of course.

A little history of it; perhaps things like the cyanometer and climbing mount Chimborazo in Ecuador (world's tallest mnt. back then), Newton's refrangibility of light, Goethe's views, etc.

Then the color emission lines as the green in OIII, hydrogen lines, etc. This should expand on Episode 16.

Some history from Brucke, Tyndall, Rayleigh to lead us to our blue sky and yellow Sun.

And, regarding the latter, I have a climax suggestion....:whistle:

[Added: I wanted to also mention false color and its efficacy in astronomy. Also, as seen from space, the true color of some objects: Some T-class stars might look maroon (crimson for some of our Alabama friends :) ), some red giants will be more orange or golden, and most white dwarfs will probably look bluish white. GMCs will be gray but some early accretion disks might come in several colors, due to the proximity of hundreds of nearby stars, including the big bluish-white ones.]

SingleDad
2007-Aug-28, 01:54 PM
On top of this mornings lunar eclipse, of which I missed because I live on the east coast of the US, there where two great stories I had RSS'ed to me this week.

The Void in the void. It seems they've found an empty spot in outer space. here's the link.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_sc/universe_hole;_ylt=AvqI3VQqiPI5xhfI..47hPqHgsgF

And the other is the wild warping of Einstein coming true!! They've found warping space around neutron stars and black holes
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070827/sc_space/einsteinswarpingfoundaroundneutronstars;_ylt=AvaM6 gpQ3T6c993K1n4_WEkE1vAI
personally I think somebody sneezed on the eyepiece for that story :lol:

PS where is my Monday night fix of Astronomy Cast!!! =p

clint
2007-Aug-29, 05:08 PM
The Void in the void. It seems they've found an empty spot in outer space. here's the link.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_sc/universe_hole;_ylt=AvqI3VQqiPI5xhfI..47hPqHgsgF

Amazing discovery, because it's so huge.

May this is too new for an entire show,
but what about a show about 'weird' objects in general?!!
:)

SingleDad
2007-Aug-30, 01:54 AM
Ah thanks , but I don't think they really want to do a whole show on me =)

Lord Jubjub
2007-Aug-30, 10:43 PM
Are you going to do the asteroid belt after Mars or are you going straight to Jupiter?

Definitely would be interested in hearing an episode dealing with the structure of the belt and the major asteroids in it.

Or maybe you could do a series of episodes on the various belts and fields: asteroid belt, centaurs, Kuiper belt, Oort cloud and such.

clint
2007-Aug-31, 09:22 AM
Are you going to do the asteroid belt after Mars or are you going straight to Jupiter?
Definitely would be interested in hearing an episode dealing with the structure of the belt and the major asteroids in it.

I second the motion! An asteroid belt show would be great!!

Sticks
2007-Sep-17, 06:49 PM

Or maybe you could do a series of episodes on the various belts and fields: asteroid belt, centaurs, Kuiper belt, Oort cloud and such.

I second this too

Can we please have a podcast about the asteroid belt?

Fraser
2007-Sep-18, 07:27 PM
We've just recorded the asteroid belt episode. So, that's confirmed. I'm also thinking we might want to take a little more time with Jupiter. Cover the planet and the moons separately. Same with Saturn.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Sep-25, 10:50 PM
I think it would be interesting to do a bit about the Centaurs and other objects floating in the Jupiter-Saturn-Uranus orbital areas.

parallaxicality
2007-Oct-08, 06:46 PM
If you guys aren't totally fed up with the Solar System by the time we reach the Oort Cloud, I was wondering if you might be interested in covering the Sun's immediate neighborhood; things like the Local Fluff, the Local Bubble, the Scorpius-Centaurus Association and other things I don't really understand but would really love to find out about. Thanks :)

Sticks
2007-Nov-19, 07:33 PM
Will you be covering the Oort Cloud as a programme?

Fraser
2007-Nov-27, 07:31 PM
As you've probably heard by now, we incorporated the Oort Cloud into the Pluto show. One more episode, and the Solar System tour will be over.

DarkSamurai
2007-Nov-28, 01:26 AM
We can start doing other planetary system... We got that nice one that is up to five planets.... :think:

Sticks
2007-Nov-28, 06:11 AM
Probably too late now that the universities and colleges have started, but something on how to find a course in astronomy would be an idea.

How about the history of Radio Astronomy?

lange17
2007-Dec-03, 05:13 AM
Just found this podcast about a week and a half ago, and I've now listened to every episode. Not good for exam preparation...

I'm not sure if it's worth a whole show, but I would love to hear about the prospects for sending a probe to a nearby star. It looks like the Voyager and Pioneer probes are only a few percent of the necessary distance, but if we designed a new probe with the latest advances in propulsion, planned its mission to get to a neighboring star ASAP, and threw in some nice gravity whips, could we get there within 50 or 100 years? Does it seem like propulsion technology is advancing such that it would be faster to just wait 20 or 30 years and launch something then? Perhaps this could be part of an episode about Alpha Centauri, Barnard's Star, and other close neighbors.

Thanks for the show; I love it!

Sticks
2007-Dec-03, 06:00 AM
The trouble is, we do not know what the conditions are like beyond the heliopause, plus with the Pioneer 10 anomaly the planning of such a mission I am not sure is possible. Only a personed star mission could work, and now we need to look at FTL travel which is still wedged firmly in Science Fiction

Lord Jubjub
2007-Dec-06, 03:32 AM
I have heard that the solar system is presently in a bubble of low density caused by a supernova from long ago. Is this true?

It would be interesting to talk about the larger effects of supernova such as shockwaves that clear out space or cause compression waves in nebula that start star formation.

Steve Limpus
2007-Dec-06, 03:42 AM
I have heard that the solar system is presently in a bubble of low density caused by a supernova from long ago. Is this true?

It would be interesting to talk about the larger effects of supernova such as shockwaves that clear out space or cause compression waves in nebula that start star formation.

I just read about this - look up Geminga - it's a radio-quiet neutron star 500 lightyears away; it's pegged to be the remnant of the guilty supernova.