PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Cluster Seen For the First Time

Fraser
2007-Aug-08, 07:34 PM
This newly released photograph taken by the Spitzer Space Telescope is of a previously hidden star cluster, revealed now in the infrared spectrum. At visible wavelengths, this cluster, located in the southern portion of the Serpens cloud would be totally obscured by dust. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/08/08/hidden-cluster-seen-for-the-first-time/)

Cosmo54
2007-Aug-09, 03:58 PM
I love my daily Bad Astronmy articles. So, even as a layman - I dare propose a suggestion/question/thought.:shifty:

This article is great news, especially with the J. Webb project advancing. But.. (always a but somewhere)...I noticed this article described the star cluster as "drifting". Shouldn't the science community be constantly reminding us the universe is being accelerated at all times?

I am not young:boohoo:, and am still trying to afix the newer picture of the "expanding" universe firmly in mind.

Honestly, I see it as a point of fact supporting the universe as "designed". If that also supports faith-based taxpayers, it's a plus (+) for science. The current popular belief (as was taught in high school) is that Science believes the universe is blowing around willy-nilly.

Maybe a few headlines saying "Astrophysicists Discover The Universe Is Pushed Along" would increase demands for funding. Maybe Science quietly begins to indirectly educate the populus with inference by always replacing descriptive words such as "drift", with words depicting acceleration.

I have to add, I am considerably sure the terms "dark matter, dark force" will be considered a very unfortunate choice in terminology. Eliminate the "faith" aspect - we are still saddled with the immediate subconscious Skywalker - Dark Star :( cross reference.

Lol, now you gonna tell me I should have submitted this to the PsyOps Dept. :wall:

Amber Robot
2007-Aug-09, 05:19 PM
I am not young:boohoo:, and am still trying to afix the newer picture of the "expanding" universe firmly in mind.

You definitely are old if you think the expanding universe is a new picture!

Cosmo54
2007-Aug-10, 12:05 PM
Hmmm, I made every effort to make myself clear that I am talking about how the universe used to be believed (and still is by most people) to be expanding solely due to the energetic Big Bang. Now science knows there is acceleration still being applied to the expansion by Dark Force. Hellllloooo?

Amber Robot
2007-Aug-10, 01:27 PM
Hmmm, I made every effort to make myself clear that I am talking about how the universe used to be believed (and still is by most people) to be expanding solely due to the energetic Big Bang. Now science knows there is acceleration still being applied to the expansion by Dark Force. Hellllloooo?

Ok... it wasn't clear to me, despite the larger, bolded font, but now I see what you are saying.

Cosmo54
2007-Aug-10, 01:47 PM
Ty much for my first experience actually joining and using a forum - pleasant. I will keep my posts shorter, now that I am learning what is expected of me. Cool beanz. (not a bit of sarcasm included - truly.)

Amber Robot
2007-Aug-10, 02:59 PM
Despite being the only person to respond to you in this thread I should be taken in no way as being representative of everyone on this forum. I simply did not understand what you were getting at in your original post. I don't think there is anything "expected" of you on this forum, other than following the general forum posting rules. I have found most of the people on this forum to be very patient and understanding of new people to the field, especially those who come forward with an open, honest approach to learning new information. Don't let my misunderstanding and subsequent response to you in any way dissuade you from enjoying reading and contributing to this forum.

Welcome.

Cosmo54
2007-Aug-11, 12:29 PM
2 posts and 2 replies? From the start, I felt as if I hit home runs both at-bats, lol. I'm not kidding either.
Your welcome was elegant and greatly appreciated. I only meant "expected of me" in the forum gestalt sense. I was encouraged by the first reply and warmed by the second. Thanks