PDA

View Full Version : Child Abuse

bluebanana
2007-Aug-09, 04:38 AM
Well, these last few weeks here in new zealand the news has been full of child abuse stories adn stuff and a three year old (Nia Glassie) has died in hospital of injuries from being abused. Just yesterday there was a huge national 3 minute silence. Of course, some people didn't think this would achieve anything, but I think if enough people do nothing in the middle of streets and town where ever they are, it won't go unoticed and something will be done. I just thought I would get your thoughts on it because I'n thinking about organising an assembly for it at school. I just think it is horrible and its becoming a bit of an ethnic debate and everybody has so much to say about it.

Julie

Fazor
2007-Aug-09, 01:19 PM
Ethnic debate? Child abuse is horrible, but the ammount of it in the news is not a good indication that it's getting worse. In the States, IIRC, the number of cases in recent years is lower than it was even 60 years ago. Although it's hard to get good indicators either way, because in the past it was not only under-reported, but also more acceptable. Again, I'm in the US so I can't speak for you Zealies.

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-09, 01:39 PM
Ethnic debate? ...
Ditto...
I fear that the explaination of this may lead us down the forbidden path. But; Are they talking about the kind of press that this case is receiving, the differences in tolerance level, or some other aspect?

Anyway; I'll trust Fazor saying that the numbers are down here, but it seems like the stories are way up. Maybe because the absurdity level is easier to exploit.
For example: A3 year old starved to death (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13854509/detail.html) is one story. It's another story when the sister says "She told the judge that her sister is a wonderful mother who loved her children very much."

Fazor
2007-Aug-09, 06:38 PM
Yeah I explained that; many studies seem to suggest that the actual occurance of such crimes are really down. The FBI's UCR shows a declining trend in just about every type of crime (IIRC). But 60 years ago, they just didn't write news stories about it.

Although I'll conceede that I have no hard numbers to offer as proof, just going of a general impression from my studies in Criminal Justice.

And, as always, there's a difference between reported and actual cases, and even with intense studies, which I have not done, it can be hard to get a complete picture.

bluebanana
2007-Aug-09, 08:57 PM
Well, its more about whos fualt it is. As in which athnicities have more childe abuse and all the media and reports and statistics show that the Moari population makes up about 60% of child abuse. They're saying its not their problem and everyone should do something about it. Absoluteley untrue

Fazor
2007-Aug-10, 02:34 AM
Well, its more about whos fualt it is. As in which athnicities have more childe abuse and all the media and reports and statistics show that the Moari population makes up about 60% of child abuse. They're saying its not their problem and everyone should do something about it. Absoluteley untrue

Wow. Well, 60% is anything but an overwhelming majority. I couldn't imagine any media outlet here in the states being able to get away with saying something like that. Regardless, child abuse is everyone's problem. Even if the numbers actually are down like I think they are, 1 case is 1 case too many. Fortunately I think we as a people are getting less tollerant of such behavior.