PDA

View Full Version : Endeavour is Off to the Space Station

Fraser
2007-Aug-09, 04:44 PM
Thanks to the improved weather, the space shuttle Endeavour blasted off from Florida's Cape Canaveral on Wednesday right on schedule, at 2236 UTC (6:36 pm EDT). ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/08/09/endeavour-is-off-to-the-space-station/)

cudachaser
2007-Aug-09, 07:09 PM
It was a beautiful launch...now the tourist can go home

Spacemad
2007-Aug-09, 07:33 PM
I watched the take off live on NASA TV. It was a flawless mission & I watched it all the way up into space when the connection with the shuttles cameras was cut off.

Congratulations to the crew & to all at NASA who made the flight possible! :)

I hope to see the return to Earth at the end of the mission in a couple of weeks time.I hope it will be as flawless as the take off was.

TDFLM
2007-Aug-10, 12:47 PM
On June 28, 1969, I drove into the State of Florida with my family and was sad to have left all my friends and everything I had known for 13 years behind in New York. But knowing I was so close to Cape Canaveral was exciting and when I was told you could “see” the rockets from my front door, well, maybe Florida was not going to be so bad after all.

Less than a month later, July 16, 1969, I was outside and saw Apollo 11 being lifted off the ground by it’s Saturn V rocket. It gave me chills and at 13, it touched a part of me I never realized would stay with me forever.

There is only one time you can experience “a first time” of anything in your life and I will never forget the feelings I had that July morning. All of the previous Apollo missions had been seen on our television at home on a tiny, unclear, black and white screen. Today, I still live in Florida and get a thrill, not like my first time, when I see any rocket or shuttle blaze a trail of smoke across the clear blue sky - seeing a night launch is better left for another story.

On August 8, 2007, NASA launched the Endeavour and reach their goal of putting a teacher, Barbara Morgan, in space. I made a last minute decision (3:30 in the afternoon) to drive to Kennedy Space Center and see it first hand and this time I brought my 3 year old grandson, Dylan. He had no idea what he was going to experience, it was his “first time.” The crowd was at times overwhelming and he was confused about what was happening, then as we talked, we heard the crowd begin the countdown chant, 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...BLASTOFF! !!!!! Dylan’s eyes were wide with wonder yet still not understanding. Oh, but within seconds, there it was, the brilliant red glow of the solid rocket boosters, the roar and cheering of the crowds, the trail of smoke that rose higher and higher behind the red glow as it lifted the shuttle and its precious human cargo to the beauty of space. And then it came, the sound, oh the sound! “Listen, Dylan, here it comes.” Distant at first, the sound built like a symphonic crescendo, and then it is upon you, loud and clear. It tumbles and rolls over and around you and then - it is gone. The sight and feelings stay with you as you watch the trail the shuttle left behind drift slowly in the air currents forming snakes, circles and at last, melting away.

It was Dylan’s “first time” and he talked about it for hours, took pictures to school the next day to share and I am sure had a story to tell his classmates and teachers. I hope he had wondrous dreams about it and maybe he will consider becoming an astronaut so he can do that himself someday - ride the red glow into space. For me, it was not my first time, but to share Dylan’s first was as close and as good as it gets.

Patty Mayer & Dylan Miller