PDA

View Full Version : Gallery of Astrophotographers at Wired

Fraser
2007-Aug-10, 04:23 PM
You know I try and feature great amateur astrophotographers here on Universe Today. Wired Magazine tapped into this, and had me write a feature article for their website, highlighting some of my favourite astrophotographers and their impressive gear. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/08/10/gallery-of-astrophotographers-at-wired/)

RJ Emery
2007-Aug-11, 12:29 PM
I have to wonder what drives amateur astrophotographers. Granted many produce superb images, but for any given subject or object, there is no added dimension to their product from what has already been captured numerous times by professionals using far better instruments.

Moreover, name an astronomical object, and a search on the Internet can yield digitized images in far more stunning detail than what any of these home-based astronomers can possibly hope to accomplish.

By way of example, the Eiffel Tower has been photographed millions of times. Yet there still can be captured by amateur and professional photographers alike unique views and moods not done or seen before.

Take a given Messier object photographed by almost any professional source. To see one image, you've seen them all. Whatever an amateur astrophotographer does is mere duplication, of lower quality and very expensively at that.

Tinaa
2007-Aug-12, 01:51 AM
I only experience wonder, awe and envy when I see the images these guys capture! The beautiful images must bring them great pleasure! I certainly am pleased to see them.