PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Report from Stellafane 2007

Dave Mitsky
2007-Aug-11, 02:53 PM
The weather gods were in a good mood yesterday. As a result, the thousands of people at the Stellafane ATM convention were treated to a spectacular night of observing.

I don't have time for a long report but suffice it to say that the Milky Way was extremely prominent and mottled and M7 was an easy naked eye target. I saw many meteors and had some incredible views through some of the large Dobs on the lower field including 25, 28, and 32 inchers.

The two most memorable sights of the night for me were both through Tele Vue's incredible 100 degree AFOV 13mm Ethos ocular. M27 through John Vogt's 32" ATM Dob and the Ethos was truly unbelievable and I've never before seen M31 as mind-blowingly extended as I did through Al Nagler's 127mm Tele Vue apochromat and the Ethos. This yet-to-be released new eyepiece is simply amazing.

The forecast for tonight is clear!

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
2007-Aug-14, 01:31 PM
I've posted a few of the many photos that I took at this year's Stellafane at http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1776370&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=&vc=1

Here's a shot of me with the 13mm Tele Vue Ethos prototype and the Tele Vue NP-127 apochromat. Uncle Al Nagler is seated in the background.

Dave Mitsky

NGCHunter
2007-Aug-16, 03:26 PM
I'm already impatiently drooling over the ethos. How does it compare to the "spacewalking" feel of the naglers?

Dave Mitsky
2007-Aug-17, 04:42 PM
At this year's NEAF, the 13mm Ethos displayed a template with 5 concentric AFOVs, three of which were 50 degrees, 82 degrees, and 100 degrees. The huge 82 degree AFOV of the various Nagler designs no longer seemed so big compared to the 100 degree Ethos.

There were also small pictures of Saturn to illustrate the lack of pincushion distortion.

The off-axis sharpness of the Ethos is really remarkable.

A short review is posted at http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1665

Dave Mitsky