PDA

View Full Version : Mars 8/15/2007

Kyle Edwards
2007-Aug-15, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I took this image of Mars with my CN-212 and ToUcam with 2x Meade Apo barlow and IR/UV blocking filter this morning. Mars is getting in a better position to image before sunrise now.

http://gallery.caasastro.org/v/member/kedwards/mars2007/Mars_8_15_2007.jpg.html

I expected more detail to be visible because it has been over a month since the dust storm started, but it is still quite bland looking.

Bokmakierie
2007-Aug-15, 02:32 PM
This is probably a stupid question or my old eyes are deceiving me. Why has Mars in your image a gibbous shape like it is in a phase like the moon?? I would have expected it nice and round.

Phil

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-15, 02:38 PM
This is probably a stupid question or my old eyes are deceiving me. Why has Mars in your image a gibbous shape like it is in a phase like the moon?? I would have expected it nice and round.

Phil

Only at opposition is Mars full. Although it can appear full for some time on either side of opposition.

Beautiful picture Kyle!

Kyle Edwards
2007-Aug-15, 02:52 PM
Beautiful picture Kyle!

Thanks!

Bokmakierie
2007-Aug-15, 03:40 PM
Only at opposition is Mars full. Although it can appear full for some time on either side of opposition.

Beautiful picture Kyle!

Thanks a lot. I was never ever aware of this. Never too old to learn, eh?

Phil

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-15, 04:19 PM
Never too old to learn, eh?

Phil

I keep telling myself that! :)

Kyle Edwards
2007-Aug-15, 04:33 PM
Thanks a lot. I was never ever aware of this. Never too old to learn, eh?

Phil

With the outer planets, I think the phase effect will always be the most when the planet is on the meridian at sunrise or sunset. Because when that happens, the Earth is at exactly half phase as seen from that planet, which means it is at the greatest elognation from the sun, meaning it will be visible from more of that planet's night side.

Right now you can even see a very small phase effect on Jupiter.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-15, 04:36 PM
Right now you can even see a very small phase effect on Jupiter.

I was wondering about that! Thanks for the answer to a question I didn't have to ask. :)

paul f. campbell
2007-Aug-15, 11:51 PM
Hi Kyle.

Nice photo. Just by following your work on Mars, I will know when its time for me to start filming. Thanks for your photos and your time, you are doing a great job. Clear skies to you. Paul

Kyle Edwards
2007-Aug-16, 12:22 AM
Thanks Paul.

JAICOA
2007-Aug-16, 04:32 AM
A good looking photo of the Red Planet, Very sharp and the color is spot on. You did Great Kyle. Clear Skies

Kyle Edwards
2007-Aug-16, 04:30 PM
Thanks.