PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Ice Coverage Will Shrink to 2050 Projections... This Summer

Fraser
2007-Aug-18, 12:24 AM
Sometimes you wish records didn't get broken. A group of Japanese science agencies announced today that the area of the Arctic Sea covered by ice is at its lowest level ever recorded. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/08/17/arctic-ice-coverage-will-shrink-to-2050-projections-this-summer/)

neilzero
2007-Aug-18, 11:04 PM
Except by satellite, it seems to me area of Arctic ice is a rough estimate, so lowest ever recorded may not incude anything that hapened before 1962 or there abouts. Neil

Fortunate
2007-Aug-18, 11:43 PM
Except by satellite, it seems to me area of Arctic ice is a rough estimate, so lowest ever recorded may not incude anything that hapened before 1962 or there abouts. Neil

I don't think it is so much the AMOUNT of ice that is shocking as the apparent RATE of decrease (what was expected to take about 45 years or so seems to have occurred in only a few years).

antoniseb
2007-Aug-19, 12:08 AM
It makes the Northwest passage a little more reliable, but otherwise, yes it is pretty alarming.

Chuck
2007-Aug-19, 03:35 AM
I've already ordered a pair of medium sized, glass topped freezers. In 2009 I'll have the ice caps on display for a small fee.

Ronald Brak
2007-Aug-19, 03:56 AM

I vaugely recall that there were people who were rather concered with the amount of artic ice prior to 1962. Something to do with supplying artic circle settlements, feeding starving populations, stopping a Nazi army spreading barbarism through Eurasia, stuff like that.

jkmccrann
2007-Aug-19, 03:56 PM
Surely the gradual warming of the northern parts of the northern hemisphere (I'm talking in human terms - it is gradual), will mean there will be a lot more land in places like Canada and Russia that will become more suitable for planting all sorts of crops - farming in these countries will likely increase as it becomes more viable.

Ronald Brak
2007-Aug-19, 05:13 PM
Surely the gradual warming of the northern parts of the northern hemisphere (I'm talking in human terms - it is gradual), will mean there will be a lot more land in places like Canada and Russia that will become more suitable for planting all sorts of crops - farming in these countries will likely increase as it becomes more viable.

Most of Canada and northern Russia suffers from a lack of good soil or a lack of soil entirely. In the current conifer belt soils are typically heavily leached podsols. This will make farming difficult. North of the conifer belt there are typically large areas without much soil at all and chaotic drainage.

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-19, 07:09 PM
Problem is, once the ice cap has shrivelled to a certain size, the larger area of open ocean in the Arctic Circle will absorb even more heat and accelerate warming, and melting of the ice cap, even further.

Jerry
2007-Aug-20, 05:45 AM
Did you see what happened in the central United States today? Tropical Depression Erin gathered strength and reformed into what looked like a tropical storm. That is just scary.

JESMKS
2007-Aug-20, 07:35 PM
I thought the permafrost areas in Canada, Alaska and Russia were underlain with frozen organic muck that would release methane when the permafrost melts. Is this a misconception?

Ronald Brak
2007-Aug-20, 08:14 PM
I thought the permafrost areas in Canada, Alaska and Russia were underlain with frozen organic muck that would release methane when the permafrost melts. Is this a misconception?

Siberia's peat bogs are larger than Germany and Poland combined and have been producing methane since the end of the last glacial period, but a lot of it has been trapped in the permafrost, so there is concern that a considerable amount of methane could be released as it thaws. It's estimated this could double the amount of methane in the atmosphere over the next 100 years.

Spacemad
2007-Aug-21, 11:11 AM
Fraser:

Here's the scary part. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicted that this level of ice coverage would be met in 2050. I'll say that again, Arctic ice will reach levels predicted for 2050 by the end of this summer. I wonder what the levels will be in 2050?

I wonder if there will be ANY Arctic ice left by then!

John Mendenhall
2007-Aug-21, 12:32 PM
Then why is it 62 degrees at 8:30 am on Aug 21 2007, it's raining, and the wind is blowing hard? In this city, Wilmington, DE, it should be 80+, sunny, and dry enough to complain about drought.

Jerry
2007-Aug-21, 03:32 PM
Because, for the second time in recorded history, a tropic storm developed over the midwest, hooked up with some cold air from the melting artic, and is dumping on the east coast.

A few weeks ago I checked the almanac for the date July 12th at 20 random zip codes. The record high for 19 zip codes had been recorded since 1985. But, the record low for that date had also been recorded for 15 zip codes.

Large weather systems introduce a large temperature disparities. There have been what, seven category 5 hurricanes since 2000? You can't find a prior decade with more than five. These giant hurricanes are just plain frightening.