PDA

View Full Version : Learn about meteors in a monster movie trailer

Chip
2007-Aug-18, 08:49 AM
Just for fun:
I love the sense of drama in this theatrical trailer from the 1950s for the film "Monolith Monsters". Nice commanding voice, cool modern Sci-Fi music of the time. They should make regular science films like this - be factual of course, but what drama!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Cg2xbenR4

soylentgreen
2007-Aug-20, 06:24 AM
A midnight movie favorite.

Nice commanding voice...

Having watched so much sci-fi on tv growing up, Paul Frees usually ends up narrating my dreams when they call for it! ;)

MG1962A
2007-Aug-20, 11:13 AM
Thats actually a real fave of mine - yeah the meteor intro sucks, but I love the movie. The special effects are suprisingly good. As the crystals grow they actual expand as well as rise, giving a very good impression of the menace involved

If anyone is interested, the initial meteor impact is from "They Came From Outer Space"

And there is a lovely moment of intentional humour - where the hero rings the meterological service to find out if it will continue to rain. Flustered the meterologist finally sticks his hand out the window and reports, yes it is going to continue to rain. Good to see things have not changed much lol

vonmazur
2007-Aug-20, 08:01 PM
Paul Frees was the voice in Spike Jones version of My Old Flame....very funny!

Dale

Chip
2007-Aug-21, 09:13 AM
A midnight movie favorite. Having watched so much sci-fi on tv growing up, Paul Frees usually ends up narrating my dreams when they call for it! ;)
I wonder if he was also the guy in the 1950s George Pal movie version of "War of the Worlds" who was walking around with the tape recorder reporting on everything just before the flying wing bombed the Martians. That actor sounded much the same.

soylentgreen
2007-Aug-21, 03:52 PM
I wonder if he was also the guy in the 1950s George Pal movie version of "War of the Worlds" who was walking around with the tape recorder reporting on everything just before the flying wing bombed the Martians. That actor sounded much the same.

That's him alright. In an ironic switch, he did not do the voice over for the film itself. That's the eminently inimitable voice of the original 'Cedric the Entertainer'...Sir Cedric Hardwicke.

ps...if you're a fan, check out the most recent DVD issue of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS. Joe Dante and Bob Burns make for an unusally enjoyable commentary track.

Chip
2007-Aug-21, 04:14 PM
...ps...if you're a fan, check out the most recent DVD issue of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS. Joe Dante and Bob Burns make for an unusually enjoyable commentary track.

Cool! I will. I'm a fan. My late father worked on that movie. He was in the small continuity staff the people who make sure clocks didn't jump around or the actors had the same outfits on in the same way the next day of shooting. He also got to see a lot of that movie being made. Likewise, he worked on "Destination Moon". Dad signed on to George Pal films though they were considered something of a hardship job because of outdoor Mohave Desert scenes (for "Destination Moon") in the summer and they required much traveling, but he loved it. He was a young and single veteran (a former Yank-in-the-RCAF) back then and always liked SciFi movies. Thanks.