PDA

View Full Version : 5 quakes in 2 days, Tokyo

damienpaul
2007-Aug-18, 09:49 AM
Well, as I live here - I can tell you that there have been 5 tremors - despite what any news report says - I live here and are a witness.

an article:

Moderate Quakes Rattle Tokyo Area

Saturday August 18, 2007 10:01 AM

TOKYO (AP) - A series of moderate earthquakes rattled the Tokyo area Saturday, with one temblor registering a preliminary magnitude of 5.1, Japan's weather agency said. No tsunami warnings were issued.

The magnitude-5.1 temblor struck at 4:55 p.m. just off the eastern coast of neighboring Chiba prefecture (state) with its epicenter about 12 miles below sea level, the Meteorological Agency said.

Full article here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6859515,00.html)

There have been 5 in the past few days, 4 within the past 14 hours

5.3, 4.8, 4.6, 5.1, 4.

suntrack2
2007-Aug-19, 05:09 PM
Hi, damien ! :)

I have read in the local newspaper and on tv too about the earthquake of japan. Have you taken the experience of earthquake movements, tell me about your experiences if any.

sunil

damienpaul
2007-Aug-20, 01:16 AM
In each of the quakes, to a varying degree, I noticed lateral movement.

Just an fyi to anyone reading, I live on the 7th floor of an 8 storey building, built within an area of reclaimed land about 2km from Tokyo Bay.

It was defintely side-to-side lateral movement, I did not notice any vertical movement at all -a lot of this may have been dampened by the building's foundations.

Jens
2007-Aug-20, 01:29 AM
Just FYI, I didn't feel any of them. I was actually out at about 5 pm when the largest struck, and my experience is that you don't usually feel earthquakes unless you're sitting down or standing still (unless they are BIG). A lot of times in my office, when there is a minor earthquake, the people sitting at their desks feel them, but people who are walking around are quite oblivious.

damienpaul
2007-Aug-20, 01:31 AM
This is very true, Jens - I was indeed sitting down when these quakes occurred.

Also, as I was on the 7th floor of a thin building.

Van Rijn
2007-Aug-20, 01:39 AM
Yes, a building can amplify the effect, especially on higher floors.

damienpaul
2007-Aug-20, 01:51 AM
I can feel the sway of my building at times when I am lying down or sitting at my computer.

suntrack2
2007-Aug-20, 05:01 PM
well, damien, the intensity of earthquake may be varied on the multi story building and the experience at the ground floor and on the top floor, normally the shock on the higher floors of the building may be intense than the ground floor !!