PDA

View Full Version : my first pic of the moon

france113
2007-Aug-19, 08:44 PM
its really bad, but ill try to get a better one tonight :lol:

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-19, 10:08 PM
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure the astrophotographers here have some "first time" pictures too.

Keep trying and keep posting.

Tim

france113
2007-Aug-19, 10:28 PM
yea
i have to wait until august 28 for the full moon, i hope i can take a better picture :)

paul f. campbell
2007-Aug-19, 11:41 PM
Hi France 113
What kind of set up are you using, and how are you using it. Better luck tonight. Welcome to the forum and Clear skies to you. Paul

C18H27NO3
2007-Aug-19, 11:43 PM
Thanks for posting your 1st picture! We'll be here to see number 2. :)

- Mark

france113
2007-Aug-20, 12:03 AM
hi paul f. campbell.
im using a 50x450mm Cstar telescope and a Canon PowerShot SD750 digital camera with 800 iso and flash turned off.

thanx everyone!
the skies are a little bit cleaner than yesterday!!! there are few clouds and the sky is BLUE :D
its kinda clean today!

RickJ
2007-Aug-20, 01:09 AM
its really bad, but ill try to get a better one tonight :lol:

I've attached a shot I took in the early 50's with my 60mm refractor on Plus X film. I used a yellow filter to block what little blue fringing it had. I used a Hartmann mask to focus. This is simply a piece of cardboard over the lens with two 1/2" holes (or three), one on each side of the lens. It is easily made out of cardboard. No precision needed, sort of round and sort of equal size holes works fine. I set the camera lens to infinity then pointed the scope at a bright star. You see two (or three) caused by the mask. Focus the scope until they merge into one. Now you are in focus so remove the mask. Go to the moon and take the shot. Be sure it is centered in the eyepiece as inexpensive eyepieces like a Kelner have some distortion at the edge. I used an orthoscopic for this picture. When focused the crater and moon's edges should be crisp and sharp at this low power.

I'm worried about all the blue your image shows. When I was at Hyde some scopes showed up that gave an image much like your photo. One was due to the guy cleaning the lens then installing it backwards with the flint element in front of the crown instead of the other way around. Some refractors actually do put the flint in front but they are very rare. Some were due to being dropped an severely out of alignment. If it was the objective fixing it was nearly impossible but if it was the eyepiece just replacing it worked wonders. Those with plastic lens eyepieces had to have their eyepieces replaced with decent ones to get rid of the color. Others couldn't be fixed however. Turned out they had plastic lenses, even the objectives and weren't even achromats, just a single plastic lens! Nothing can cure that. How does it look visually? Sharp with only minor color at the edge, not the super blue shown in the photo? If so follow the guide above and you should get a shot similar to the one attached with a little practice. If you see the same image as in the photo then either something is damaged or worse.

C18H27NO3
2007-Aug-20, 01:39 AM
The early 50's?

Yeah, I can tell. The Moon looks much younger. :D

Nice pic, RickJ! :lol:

- Mark

france113
2007-Aug-20, 02:33 AM
thats one great picture!
but the blue thing doesnt show up when i am using my dvd camcorder. i will also upload a picture or an animation taken with the camcorder

Bokmakierie
2007-Aug-20, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the forum!! Hang in there, you will eventually get it right.
I have a suspicion that you took the picture while it was not quite dark. From there the blue in the image. It has happened to me often.
I have a very simple setup. I use a basic digital camera (Fujifilm Finepix 2600). By pure chance (or serendipity?) I took my first pictures of the moon by holding my camera by hand against the eyepiece. I forgot to switch the flash off!!
The results were surprisingly good. I then switched the flash off as it was not needed. Then the results were poor with loads of motion artifacts.
Bottom line: with the flash on the shutter speed was fixed at 1/582 sec, the f-stop at 3.5 and the ISO at 100. I use the autofocus facility of the camera.
Try these settings ( more or less) with your camera and see what you can come up with. The full moon is notoriously difficult to image and the best time is at first or last quarter. But give it a shot. You will lose nothing.
Here is a pictuire of one of my attempts.

Good luck

Phil

france113
2007-Aug-20, 07:09 AM
thanks!
yeah it was around 8pm. the moon is hidden at 10pm so i dont have any chance to do it when its dark. actually at 9 its dark but there still is a little bit light.
i tried to take another one today but no luck :(
and it might be from my telescope too, its a cheap $24 telescope :p
but i can see the craters with my eye pretty werll!

paul f. campbell
2007-Aug-20, 10:57 AM
Hi France 113.
Phil's got it. I think your ISO of 800 is way to high. When I am shooting photos of the Moon and planets using my sony cybershot I use ISO 200 and sometimes 400 no higher.

Try going on line and find some information on taking astro photos, or
astrophotography and guides for ISO times. I markerd a few sites just the other night. I am getting ready to use my canon A1 35mm on the back of a celestron 8 inch that a friend gave me to use. I am hoping to capture some star clusters. Well its 6:57 am and I got to go to work. Have a get day and clear skies to you Paul

winensky
2007-Aug-20, 12:15 PM
I don't know if your camera has a manual mode but if it does, take your iso down to 200 and try a 1/30 or 1/125s shot. If its an automatic, the default shutter speed is in his range if you turn the flash back on. Just put a bit of tape on the flash. It looks as if you are hand holding the camera and you probably have the scope on a table as well so use the table to steady your elbows. Good luck and well done with your first shot.

Kind regards
Matt

france113
2007-Aug-20, 08:49 PM
yeah it has a manual mode, but i am putting it on auto, it automatically puts iso on 200.
and on auto with the flash on, the speed is 1/60 and F2.8

JAICOA
2007-Aug-22, 04:01 AM
France 113, you did very good for first timer, Wellcome to this forum. don't wait for the full moon keep taking photos now and when the full comes around you should see the differences from this one by acquireing experience from the shots you have taken. clear skies

france113
2007-Aug-22, 05:30 AM
thanks JAICOA :)
im trying every day, it gets a little better!