PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Smoke For Martian Spacesuits

Warren Platts
2007-Aug-20, 03:07 AM
Scientists hail ‘frozen smoke’ as material that will change world (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2284349.ece)

In 2002 Aspen Aerogel, a company created by Nasa, produced a stronger and more flexible version of the gel. It is now being used to develop an insulated lining in space suits for the first manned mission to Mars, scheduled for 2018.

Wow! 2018! Only eleven more years! I can hardly wait! :lol:

VPCCD
2007-Aug-20, 03:19 AM
Scientists hail ‘frozen smoke’ as material that will change world (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2284349.ece)

Wow! 2018! Only eleven more years! I can hardly wait! :lol:

What??? I thought that they weren't even going to start planning a mission to mars until 2030!

Warren Platts
2007-Aug-20, 03:35 AM
Pretty cool stuff, nevertheless.

novaderrik
2007-Aug-20, 03:36 AM
well, they have to send an advance team before the "real" landings so they can help the martians hide all their stuff and make it look like no one's ever been there and get the scenery to match what the landers have "seen" in the Hollywood and Utah desert soundstages.
haven't you been paying attention? the TRUTH is out there..

Ronald Brak
2007-Aug-20, 04:09 AM
Seats and pillows for airplanes can be made out of aerogel to cut down on weight. Maybe artificial limbs with a layer of aerogel will feel warm to the touch.

2007-Aug-20, 06:37 AM
You heard it here first: Brains made out of Aerogel will be able to advocate 30% more silly ideas than old fashioned-brains made out of balsa wood.

BigDon
2007-Aug-23, 08:27 AM
You heard it here first: Brains made out of Aerogel will be able to advocate 30% more silly ideas than old fashioned-brains made out of balsa wood.

I thought brains made from aerogel were 30% more efficient than ones made from poop for advocating silly ideas. Or was I thinking of advocating 9/11 conspiracies? A little help here guys.

Cookie
2007-Aug-23, 05:30 PM
What's the timetable for future manned missions to the moon?
If it's about 11 years, perhaps they simply forgot to add "just in time for field-testing on the moon"?

VPCCD
2007-Aug-24, 03:39 AM
What's the timetable for future manned missions to the moon?
If it's about 11 years, perhaps they simply forgot to add "just in time for field-testing on the moon"?

Well, the first landing isn't until 2019, not sure when the orbital tests will be though.

m1omg
2007-Aug-26, 05:44 PM
I said that aerogel would be useful for spacesuit construction...

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-27, 03:28 PM
I said that aerogel would be useful for spacesuit construction...
You did? Where?

I'm not disputing you, but since I can't find a post of yours in this thread, I have nothing to go by. So I can take the CT point of view and say you didn't because I don't have evidence of it.

m1omg
2007-Aug-28, 10:18 AM
Ok do not argue please, you can find it in discussion about colonising Venus...
I am just glad that my idea is not pure scifi, and I am not going to insult or argue anyone.

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-28, 01:12 PM
Ok do not argue please, you can find it in discussion about colonising Venus...
I'm not trying to argue, but, you are making a claim (at least the way that it comes across to me), and I'm looking for details.
First of all, a link. We don't have time to search this board for your claim. It is your claim, so you are the one that should provide the reference. I tried giving you a benefit of the doubt by doing a search myself, but I couldn't find anything.

I am just glad that my idea is not pure scifi, and I am not going to insult or argue anyone.
There's that claim again.
What are you saying here when you say "my" idea? To me that is implying that it is yours exclusively.
Is it simply that you are happy that one of your thoughts is actually feasible?
Are you proud that you thought the same thing that just about everybody familiar with aerogel probably thought of?
Are you trying to claim that this is your idea and was stolen?

m1omg
2007-Aug-28, 01:36 PM
No Omg, I Am Just Saying That I Tought About It, Not That I Invented It.

m1omg
2007-Aug-28, 01:38 PM
This Is Silly I Was Hoping That You Understand That I Was Only Nonformally Speculating I Am Not A Sciencist Just A Young Man That Has Interest In Astronomy Not Some 40 Year Old Genius That Is Very Insulted When Someone Call His Ideas Bogus

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-28, 01:44 PM
This Is Silly I Was Hoping That You Understand That I Was Only Nonformally Speculating I Am Not A Sciencist Just A Young Man That Has Interest In Astronomy Not Some 40 Year Old Genius That Is Very Insulted When Someone Call His Ideas Bogus
Yep; that's all I was getting at, because there have been many of the latter here.
So: I can safely assume now that it fits more with my question...
Is it simply that you are happy that one of your thoughts is actually feasible?

m1omg
2007-Aug-28, 02:05 PM
Yes :)

Warren Platts
2007-Aug-29, 06:42 AM
m1omg's earlier posts on aerogels:
http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/60315-what-coldest-body-our-solar-system.html

mugaliens
2007-Aug-30, 10:37 AM
No Omg, I Am Just Saying That I Tought About It, Not That I Invented It.

Well, that's true, as unless you're about 97 years old, you were simply born too late! As were we all, not that I'd have thought about it until I read about it in PS.

Interesting stuff. How about putting in the tanks of airliners as an anti-slosh baffle?

Lightweight, non-toxic breast augmentation surgery, anyone?

I mean, the possibilities really are endless...

I know - let's make transparent paper out of aerogel sheets. I hate carrying boxes of paper from the storeroom to the copier.

Nah - they'd just blow all over the place...

mugaliens
2007-Aug-30, 10:38 AM

Ps - please turn off your initial caps. It's considered nearly as impolite as all-caps.

Thanks.

Maksutov
2007-Sep-04, 05:35 AM
Ps - please turn off your initial caps. It's considered nearly as impolite as all-caps.

Thanks.And to think Zaphod said Beeblebroxitis was not contagious!

:lol:

Frozen smoke.

Now if R. J. Reynolds can figure out how to put nicotine in it, they'll have a brand new addictive product line available in your grocer's freezer.

I can see the ad campaign: 50% advising you on how to quit frozen smoke and the other 50% illustrating how "cool" frozen smoke is.