PDA

View Full Version : Planes blowing up on runways

Jens
2007-Aug-20, 06:20 AM
Probably many people saw the news about a China Air plane that caught on fire on the ground (after landing) at Naha Airport. Everybody was evacuated. I'm what happened will eventually become clear, but can anybody guess why an airplane engine would catch fire and blow up several minutes after the plane landed and while it was taxiing to the terminal? It seems unlikely to me. Maybe the engine was already overheated, and the lack of airflow made the fire start?

Maksutov
2007-Aug-20, 07:04 AM
A plane on a runway.

Engine fires are not uncommon. They can occur on the ground.

Then consider where the engine is located on a 737. The wing is not only a source of lift, it's also a fuel tank. On this airplane the engines are very close to the wing due to the jet's low profile. If the wing tank is breached while the engine is still running, there is a strong possibility of the creation of a large volume air/fuel mixture, which can be explosive when ignited.

Then again they might have been using leaded fuel.

mfumbesi
2007-Aug-20, 07:15 AM
Then again they might have been using leaded fuel.
Thats cold man.
The manager committed suicide, by smearing his body with lead. (Kidding of course)

darkhunter
2007-Aug-20, 11:21 AM
Could be hot brakes....

Maksutov
2007-Aug-20, 11:57 AM
True. Or DC-10 (or equivalent) debris on the runway, a la the Concorde.

Doodler
2007-Aug-20, 12:50 PM
Someone smoking on the job.

JustAFriend
2007-Aug-20, 01:13 PM
The biggest problem with early jet engines was to KEEP them from catching on fire....

Jets are complex pieces of machinery with lots and lots of fuel and air moving through them already combusting.... blowtorches already on fire and hooked to very very big fuel tanks.

...its a miracle that more of them don't catch fire every year....

Neverfly
2007-Aug-20, 01:17 PM
Sometimes...
I blow up for no reason too:neutral:

Doodler
2007-Aug-20, 01:23 PM
The biggest problem with early jet engines was to KEEP them from catching on fire....

Jets are complex pieces of machinery with lots and lots of fuel and air moving through them already combusting.... blowtorches already on fire and hooked to very very big fuel tanks.

...its a miracle that more of them don't catch fire every year....

Credit to a lot of engineers who sweat very small details. On the other hand, I'm sure there are a myriad of incidents that happen which don't make the evening news because not every incident results in casualties.