PDA

View Full Version : Michiganders...

diddidit
2003-Jul-09, 02:08 PM
I've noticed a couple of people have Michigan listed as their location - where are you folks? I live in Montague (North of Muskegon) and work in Spring Lake (South of Muskegon).

did

man on the moon
2003-Jul-09, 02:36 PM
not that this is astronomy related...(seems i've had a lot of that lately, sorry. makes me kinda... :x or something.)

i was born in ypsilanti/ann arbor area, grew up there too. (yay U of M!). the university telescope used to be open to the public the first tuesday after the new moon every month. michigan is fairly flat...but they managed to get a pretty decent hill for it about twelve miles out of town. first saw saturn through that scope. poor me, the guy working almost convinced me it was a tennis ball with a frisbee around it! i was only four...but still. :P regardless, i enjoy astronomy today, though i don't have a telescope right now. a college dorm room aint the best place for one! not with the kind of traffic i get anyway. this summer i've been working a security job from mid-8am full time. it's a great excuse to spend nearly four hours outside. can't watch the heavens for all of them...but still. i see mars and the moon and so on. looking forwand to a great life (life not wife...though that would be nice too!), and already have plans to buy a telescope or two :)

in case you're wondering, i don't attend UofM, i'm just a major fan. i go to school in blood redneck TN--don't ask why :P . michigan was, and always will be home though.

Nowhere Man
2003-Jul-09, 09:40 PM
I'm in Southfield, just north of (shudder) Detroit.

To bring this thread back to astronomy, didja know that Michigan had its own rocket range? (http://www.gt.org/keweenaw-rocket-base/index.html) True! I've been out there a couple of times. There's nothing left but the azimuth ring and some concrete pads, but it's still a neat place, and kind of an adventure to get to..

Fred

Grey
2003-Jul-10, 02:35 AM
I'm leaving in Waterford, attending school in Ann Arbor, and planning to move to Milford in a year or so.

ocasey3
2003-Jul-10, 02:53 AM

Fred

Now, Now [-X , some of us love Detroit. Was born here, live here and have lived most of my life here. But I love this whole state. Beautiful. I am planning a trip to the UP this fall to hopefully see the Northern Lights and other heavenly bodies.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 02:58 AM
Windsor is better. *Runs*

man on the moon
2003-Jul-10, 06:32 AM

better be glad there's a bunch of water between! unfortunately there's also a bridge...mwahahaha :evil:

no, seriously, some of the best moon waching (i'm biased...sorry 8) ) was at Point Pelee on Lake Erie. we went to see the birds...but i watched the moon and such instead. there's nothing quite like a moon path on the water, especially great when the lake is there. it's a beautiful place, but i don't think that would be enough to make me move to ...Canada (:P) though...

diddidit
2003-Jul-10, 12:13 PM

Yeah, runs right over to the "ballet" there...

:D

did

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 05:03 PM
You well nobody can beat G'Topia!!! :-)

Or Florida.

ocasey3
2003-Jul-10, 06:15 PM
You can have Florida. :roll: Seen any Aurora lateley? :wink: 8)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-10, 06:44 PM
You can have Florida. :roll: Seen any Aurora lateley? :wink: 8) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh you know where all of the soft spots are don't you. :evil: :evil: :evil:

AK
2003-Jul-11, 02:13 AM
Formerly Mayfield...

Go Wings!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 03:58 AM
man on the moon: Don't tempt me. I've already duelled wedgebert and have duelled Humphrey (we both ended up dead). I may just decide to duel you... :P

diddidit: What's wrong with ballet? It just goes to show that Windsor has a bit of class... *Runs Faster*

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 04:27 AM
If you die again TSC, I got dibs on you gold! Cursed or not!

http://www.iepema.nl/leerling/sm/pirat2.gif

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 04:37 AM
Arrrrrr! Yer next bucko!

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:03 AM
Just remember who you're talking to:

http://www.harenet.ne.jp/ohara/musashi(E).htm

At the age of 13 Musashi fought Arima Kihei, who used the Shintouryu style of sword fighting, and defeated him... When he was 29 he fought against Sasaki Kojiro at Ganryujima Island near Kyushu. He fought over sixty duels and he was never defeated. He was a master swordsmen

The Kojiro duel was his last, I believe, so that's 60 duels between the ages of 13 and 29!

http://digilander.iol.it/ilxnucleo/Emoticon/Samurai.gif

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 05:16 AM
Fine then. I'll use my pirate gun:

http://www.antiqueguns.co.nz/261262b.jpg

I learned THAT trick from Humphrey! :D

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:22 AM
I'm not afraid of your pirate guns, haven't you ever played Tenchu!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 05:29 AM
Fine. I'll use my army gun!

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_33.asp?uSubSection=33&uSection=2

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:32 AM
Fine, guns it is!

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/mk19.htm

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 05:33 AM
I'll get you with this one!

http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/mspa_images/gallery/gallery_images/large/AP2002-E018-20a.jpg

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:39 AM
Hey, thats an anti-missile defense gun!

Guess I'll use a few of ...these!

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/missiles/wep-pen.html

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:43 AM
Or perhaps this would be better...

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-ssn.html

Astronomy...astronomy! Where are you!!!

Oh, there you are. Can submerged subs pick up GPS signals?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 05:45 AM
So we're using missiles now, eh? How about this one:

http://www.tuck2000.com/arizona/titan2.jpg

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 05:46 AM
I don't think they can. Radio waves have trouble penetrating water, but microwave signals might be able to. At any rate, the subs still have to get near the surface to fire.

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:48 AM
Well, since I'm in a sub now, I think I'll just dive!

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 05:50 AM
And for your silly Titan:

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/dote99/99patriot.htm

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-11, 05:55 AM
defense against tactical ballistic missiles

A Titan II is a strategic ballistic missile. It moves too quickly for a Patriot to hit.

And if you dive...

http://www.geeklair.net/~ben/seawolf.jpg

...I'll be behind you...

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 06:04 AM
Silent Service it is!

The PAC-3 is supposed to be anti-icbm, but I am not really all that knowledgable in that field... so I guess I missed!

Astronomy: Do Titan IIs use GPS for targetting?

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 06:07 AM
Or I could respond in kind! MAD!!

http://www.vce.com/teapot.html

And, on topic again, my mom was born in Dearborn Michigan, but she moved to California when she was 2.

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 06:09 AM
There are some disturbingly beautiful pics of nuclear explosions here:

http://www.vce.com/redwing.html

man on the moon
2003-Jul-11, 06:37 AM

must be a true michignader who made up that program...who else would name something red wing? :D

(only about the best team ever)

that is true, they are great, but how does it relate to astronomy? i am very much lost on that one...

Musashi
2003-Jul-11, 08:27 AM
Sorry, there were some posts that got (a little!) out of hand there.

I do enjoy Red Wings hockey, but I'm a King fan myself :)

Odinoneeye
2003-Jul-11, 09:21 AM
Born in Livonia, lived in Ann Arbor for a while and now reside in Hazel Park.

When I meet people online and tell them where I live, I just tell them watch that movie 8 Mile, then go a mile north.

nebularain
2003-Jul-11, 02:23 PM
Umm . . . Is this ans astronomy Bulletin Board or a video game? :o

man on the moon
2003-Jul-11, 03:21 PM
of course it's about astronomy. at least we started out talking about it...the moon on the lake and such. got a bit out of hand there for a while, but we're back to it now me thinks. there are plenty of stars in detroit: stevie(canadian), dom(czec), darren, shannie to name a few.

if that's not enough, there's always brett hull (a former dallas star, acquired two years ago), and darian hatcher (also a former dallas star, acquired two weeks ago).

they're kind of hard to spot sometimes, if you don't know what you're looking for. best place to find them? at the observatory. in detroit, we call the observatory "The Joe". (if you're from out of town, that's a code word :wink:)

ok ok...no lectures about bad puns now :roll:

ToSeek
2003-Jul-11, 03:56 PM

Which set of nuclear tests did HUb' witness? Was it one of these?

pulsar4529
2003-Jul-11, 04:56 PM
I just tell them watch that movie 8 Mile, then go a mile north.

I say the exact same thing. And anyways everyone knows that 9 mile is way better!!

I hardly ever get to watch Wings games anymore. They have to be on ESPN for me to see it cause Indiana doesn't show hockey... :(

Humphrey
2003-Jul-11, 05:42 PM
[humprey gets up again from the dead and while Canuck and Musashi are arguing showing off bigger and bigger weapons, he just shoots Canuck again for not beign dead for long. ]

HaHa! you never do seem to see that coming. :P

[runs away to start his zombie army]

------------------------------

Now on topic, sort of.

So what is the Astronomy viewing like in Michigan. Never been.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-11, 05:49 PM
So what is the Astronomy viewing like in Michigan. Never been.

spose it's likejust about anywhere else...there are stars and stuff in the sky and you look at them through a thing called a telescope :wink:

no, seriously, i like it (biased of course). it helps to find a treeless area on a hill. ony problem is...there aren't too many hills in michigan. not in the lower peninsula anyway. trolls don't care for uphill climbs i suppose. now for something that makes it truly unique...

if you aren't too picky about it being totally dark, it's great to take a boat out into one of the great lakes. you can get to the point where there is no land in sight. if you can't do that, a raft or dock on one of the hundreds of inland lakes will do as well. just remember there is always a little reflection from the water when you do this. it can get real romantic :D . so i guess if that's what you're looking for... \:D/

oh, and one more thing. no matter how hard i look, i've never seen planet x in michigan! that could make it unique :wink: come to think of it...don't know if nancy has either. :) guess i'll have to look to make sure :(

*slinks slowly to her site...*

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-11, 05:54 PM
No. These are A-bomb tests. HUB' witnessed one of the H-bomb tests in the S. Pacific (Bikini?).

Humphrey
2003-Jul-11, 06:12 PM
No. These are A-bomb tests. HUB' witnessed one of the H-bomb tests in the S. Pacific (Bikini?).

What was he doing at the time? Profession i mean.

Odinoneeye
2003-Jul-12, 04:03 AM
My parents own a cottege on Lake Huron. That means the Eastern half of the sky is free of obstructions, while the western is blocked by trees.

So it gives me half a sky to gaze at.

David Hall
2003-Jul-12, 06:48 PM
I seem to remember HUb' being at one of the Eniwetok Atoll tests. I don't remember which test exactly or what ship he was on, but he does mention the names somewhere.

gethen
2003-Jul-14, 03:28 AM
I'm in northern Michigan, between Cadillac and Traverse City, and the sky is just fine here. But it's even better in Northern Ontario.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 03:33 AM
Hey! Michigan isn't the Great White North! That's Canada! Michigan is The Great White North - Minor! :D

gethen
2003-Jul-14, 04:20 AM
It's only a line on a piece of paper. And I spend almost as much time in Canada as in Michigan. And what are you doing reading the "Michigander" thread anyway??? :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 04:22 AM
Uhhh... trying to promote cross-border relations? Yeah. That's it!

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 04:26 AM
I am reading it because us spies have to be informed on everything.

....uh..you didn't hear me say spy. You didn't hear me say anything. Got it? :evil:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 04:34 AM
Spying for whom? (Don't worry, I didn't hear you. I ask everyone that)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 04:42 AM
You didn't hear that i spy for the greatest country of all time: Canada

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 04:45 AM
Excellent. The invasion plans are progressing nicely... I mean... the... uh... surrender plans... are... progressing nicely...

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 05:23 AM
Yes, and the CN Tower is really a great weapon of mass destruction. 8) (with thanks to that great movie Canadian Bacon )

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 05:27 AM
Man, that's one funny movie. My favourite part is when the American media starts listing off stupid facts like "The Canadian National Tower in Toronto, Canada, designed to twart Soviet attacks is now entirely under Canadian control" or "They look like us, they sound like us, but your neighbours could be Canadian. Find out."

Still love that movie.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 05:51 AM
One of the best John Candy movies ever. Heck, one of the funniest movies ever.

"jump! Jump!"

Pure gold. :-)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 05:57 AM
Definitely a must-see. To anyone reading this, GO RENT THE MOVIE!!!

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 06:27 AM
TSC and Humphrey are reading it so they can take it severly off topic, I'm just here to help them! :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:37 AM
Ah, geez! We did it again! This must be some kind of record...

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 06:40 AM
All in one night! woohooo!

(This night must be a record for the amount of posts with absolutely no real content in them. :-) )

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:41 AM
It's getting up there. I started today with about 840 posts. Now I'm almost at 1000. :o

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 06:43 AM
It's a race, you to 1000 and me to 400!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:45 AM
Okee dokee.

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 06:46 AM
Ready...go!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:49 AM
I win!!! (That was quick)

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 06:51 AM
Sorry, but I think we tied! Actually you may have made your post earlier in the 11:48 (PST) than I did. So I guess you win. :(

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:53 AM
Seconds aren't recorded, so let's call it a tie. (I'm nothing if not fair. :P )

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 06:57 AM
Ah, the fairness after I just made fun of you on another thread... #-o . Well, if you'll accept my apology, I'll agree with tie. :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:59 AM
Accepted! I don't mind the mockery, I've done enough of it myself... :D

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 07:02 AM
Feel free to mock me whenever you want! :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 07:04 AM
Mock! :D

P.S. this is getting way off topic...searching for astronomy...Ummm....So how is the clarity of the sky? IS it usually coudy at night? Are there alot of astronomy clubs? (did it work?)

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 07:09 AM
Even if it did work, it'd only be temporary! :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 07:15 AM
*Slinks away for the good of the thread*

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 07:41 AM
TRAITORS ALL! :evil: :x

now about astronomy...we used to have star parties at the library when i was young. grew up in a small town just north of ann arbor. the director was a great guy, into science and all the cool stuff. on nice summer nights we'd have star parties. i remember going and watching Comet Shoemaker-Levy crash into Jupiter. THAT was cool. just glad it wasn't Earth!

that's where i learned about the moon and stars, except sometimes we went to the University Observatory. they were open to the public one night a month, right after the new moon.

one night we came home and i was so excited i got the telescope and went to my parents room to look out the window. forget the neighbor's lights, i was going star gazing on my own! i aimed out the window and took a peek. :o you'll never guess what i saw!

STRIPES!! AND LOTS OF THEM!! :o :o it was so cool, i was certain i'd found Jupiter, the largest planet. it was so big in my scope (a whole...4 inch reflector :lol: ) that it covered the entire viewing area! i called my mother over...

she bent down to take a look. chuckled. then stood up and...raised the scope? :-?

she then continued to point out to me that i had succesfully aimed the scope...at the peeling paint on the crossbar of the window... :oops: :oops:

that was my first and last time looking so closely at Jupiter. needless to say, i continue to search to this day, but alas...all i have seen is a bright yellow dot in the sky. :(

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 07:49 AM
:lol: lol MOTM. :-)

and You saw Comet Shoemaker-Levy crash into Jupiter!!! Wow, now i am veryu jealous of you!

This brings up a serious question:

Now will the difference in latitiude between Me in Florida and you in Michigan actually make a difference in the stars we see?

Like are there stars that i will see tonight that you will now be able to? (given clear skies and pitch black).

P.S. thanks for bringing this back on topic. :-)

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 07:58 AM
I say yes. But there should be stars you can see that he can't.

Related, has anyone (here) seen the stars from the southern hemisphere? Anyone (here) been stargazing in both hemispheres?

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 08:10 AM
Lake Hudson State Recreation Area, near Adrian, is one of the first Dark Sky Preserves. I went camping there for the May Lunar eclipse, but I'll be darned if it didn't rain most of the time. The clouds finally parted when the eclipse was almost over. Didn't get to see the reddish hue, but was divebombed by a few bats. :-?

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 11:00 AM
yes i did see Shoemaker Levy! it was great. the other Jupiter story was quite a while before that though, probably when i was six or seven. Shoemaker Levy was probably when i was about 12 or so.

having never done a thourough comparison of the stars between michigan and florida, i can't be certain, but yes, i imagine there are stars between our 20 degrees of latitude that can be seen by you and not me.

in fact, this is a good example. i'm not at home right now, but rather in TN at school. in looking at a local star chart, and comparing it to ones from home, i find there are even things here that i can see that can't be seen at home. for example, mars is fairly high in the sky here, well over the "mountains". at home, it's not quite so high. Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are also great this time of year, and in excellent position. all four are between 30 and 45 degrees RA. yet at home, they are low enough to be hidden by the trees, and even if they weren't would likely be behind a house or even a car. from what i can gather, they are between 20 and 38 degrees RA. there are about 8 or 9 degrees of Latitude between us.

in FL, another 8-18 degees (depending how far south you go) those four planets will appear between 50-75 degrees RA. quite a difference! if the planets can do it, i'd be willing to bet stars do it even more.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 03:02 PM
addendum: most of our stars are the same,,,i can see orion quite well. also polaris is fairly high at certain times. i'd imagine it's higher for me, though you can see it (i assume) but i'd say anything that never gets higher than a few degrees above the northern horizon for me and the southern horizon for you will not be seen by the other.

pulsar4529
2003-Jul-14, 03:40 PM
The light pollution is really bad for me. I have an apartment complex, shopping center, YMCA, and pre-school right next to me. (oh, and really annoying neighbors).

Although I did get a chance to take my scope up to St. Ignace(in da UP), and it was amazing! Whew! Whenever we go up north, we take my scope and its such a HUGE difference.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 04:28 PM
yarz. sometimes one can even see aurora borealis up there. ever been to Pictured Rocks? i hear it can be a great view watching them over the expanse of the lake. never been myself, but i'd love to go some time. all that's needed is an excuse!

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 06:05 PM
something for MI to be proud of! (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/07/14/sprj.st03.camping/index.html). found it on CNN of all places...

To get the most bang for your buck, according to Wright, the national forests of Michigan are a good bet. "They have a wide variety of camping spaces, the prices are quite low and sometimes free and most of Michigan national forest campgrounds are located on excellent lakes for boating and fish."

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:07 PM
Bah. Michigan is too small to have a good national forest. Now Quebec on the other hand...

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 06:20 PM
just cause your provinces are about as big as 5 states... :P

with no one in them! if we made as much of MI a national forest as some of your places we wouldn't have anywhere to live!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:22 PM
It's weird actually. Most provinces are huge. But then there's Prince Edward Island. Talk about tiny...

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 06:27 PM
true. i should take that into account. what about newfoundland?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:28 PM
Ah, you seem to have forgotten about Labrador. It's part of Newfoundland. Makes it about the size of a medium sized state.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 06:29 PM
part...guess i thought it was included. my apologies.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:31 PM
Meh. S'okay. Not my province...

You want to talk about small states? Well how about Rhode Island?

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 06:37 PM
Delaware?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:42 PM
Pretty small. Hey, is Puerto Rico a state or a protectorate?

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 07:01 PM
good question. it sure as heck aint a state. they pay no federal taxes, but they cant vote either. hmm. i don't want to say protectorate, that sounds like more of a colony. i'd say they are pretty much a state. there has even been some debate in congress about it. as afr as i know, there are no or few entry/exit rules if you are a US citizen, they pretty much do anythng we say, they use our money as their currency. they are protected by the armed forces (huge naval base there). only real difference is they don't pay taxes, have no seat in congress, and don't pay federal taxes. evrything else is the same though. guess you could say it's a protectorate. a protectorate seems as though it would be a seperate nation though, administered through an embassy--with it's own government and currency. darn politics get too confusing, i quit trying to understand!. :-?

small state: conneticut

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 07:04 PM
Protectorate:

a: A relationship of protection and partial control assumed by a superior power over a dependent country or region.

b: The protected country or region.

Can't be a protectorate.

Oh, small state: Washington DC (Well, not a state, a district, but it's all the same)

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 07:12 PM
a woderful example! thank you! Washington DC is about as much a state as Puerto Rico. difference being in washington DC, you pay taxes. other than that, there are no congressional seats for DC. they do use our dollars (of course), but there is no real statehood endowed upon it. and yes people live there--the president for example. oh yeah, and they can vote on presidents, and city issues. but no congressional seat.

small state: Alaska :D
we've said all the puny ones...how 'bout New Jersey?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 07:17 PM
New York ain't all that big either.

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 08:34 PM
I'm going camping in the UP in October and will be going to Pictured Rocks as well as Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keweenau. Will be bringing my scope. Can't wait. I really want to see some aurora.

nebularain
2003-Jul-14, 08:35 PM
Washington DC is about as much a state as Puerto Rico. difference being in washington DC, you pay taxes. other than that, there are no congressional seats for DC. they do use our dollars (of course), but there is no real statehood endowed upon it.

Heh - the licence plates of D.C. actually have written on them:

"Taxation without representation."

New York ain't all that big either.

Err . . . do you mean the city or the state? I wouldn't call NY state very small. NY city ain't that small as cities go, either.

Now, you want small - go to Luckenbach, TX. (http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/History.htm)

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 08:36 PM
tell us if you do!

oh wait. that'll only make us all jealous. (more than it already has) :P

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 08:38 PM
I mean the state. Compared to Canadian provinces, of course.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 08:39 PM
:o POPULATION OF 3?!? WHOA THAT'S SMALL!!!

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 08:40 PM
ahh. i was trying to figure out waht to make of that comment! :-?

how 'bout one i already mentioned? Alaska!!!

:D :D :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 08:52 PM
Technically Jacksonville, FL (my home town currently) is the largest city land wise in the continental U.S.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 09:00 PM
Alaska? Medium-sized compared to provinces. :D

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 09:06 PM
:P

SeanF
2003-Jul-14, 09:06 PM
Washington DC is about as much a state as Puerto Rico. difference being in washington DC, you pay taxes. other than that, there are no congressional seats for DC. they do use our dollars (of course), but there is no real statehood endowed upon it.

Heh - the licence plates of D.C. actually have written on them:

"Taxation without representation."

Hmm. They have *local* representation in regards to sales tax and what not, but do they pay federal taxes? Gas tax, for sure . . . income tax?

See, dagnabit, that's a sign that our federal gov't is too big! People ought not to have permanent residence there!! :x

Now, you want small - go to Luckenbach, TX. (http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/History.htm)

"With Waylon and Willie and the boys . . . " :D

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 09:11 PM
i'm pretty sure they only have control of the city. there's a mayor. no senators. they do have local taxes. i wonder if the president has to pay land tax? i'm pretty sure they pay federal tax, i seem to remember a big deal something about the president paying his taxes...maybe that was to Texas (another small state :) ). either way...they aren't under jurisdiction of a state or a government other than a city. there is the fed, but all of us are under that so it doesn't count.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 09:15 PM
Try telling the Federal Government that! :o

SeanF
2003-Jul-14, 09:16 PM
i'm pretty sure they only have control of the city. there's a mayor. no senators. they do have local taxes. i wonder if the president has to pay land tax? i'm pretty sure they pay federal tax, i seem to remember a big deal something about the president paying his taxes...maybe that was to Texas (another small state :) ). either way...they aren't under jurisdiction of a state or a government other than a city. there is the fed, but all of us are under that so it doesn't count.
It certainly counts in terms of federal taxes (like income tax) because they don't have any senators or representatives to vote for or against those taxes. That is taxation without representation, which is why we declared independence from England in the first place.

OTOH, I don't think DC should be a state - just because I think it could turn out badly to have the fed gov't that closely linked to one of the 51 states, ya know?

man on the moon
2003-Jul-14, 10:22 PM
definitely agreed!

hmm. how'd we get from living in michigan to what constitutes a state?

darn digressions and distractions. :P

Musashi
2003-Jul-15, 12:03 AM
I think Puerto Rico is a territory.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-15, 03:08 AM
It's a Commonwealth.

If they choose to remain a commonwealth, which is probably the most likely outcome, then Puerto Ricans will vote whether to remain a commonwealth every ten years.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa031698.htm

Musashi
2003-Jul-15, 03:11 AM
That sounds so ....British. I think Canada should become a commonwealth fo the US also!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-15, 03:12 AM
:evil: [-X :evil: *HHHHHHIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssss* :evil: [-X :evil:

Musashi
2003-Jul-15, 03:17 AM
I know, when SKY and I take over Montanta, we can join Canada as the southerliest province! :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-15, 03:19 AM
For about 30 minutes before the US invades. :o

Musashi
2003-Jul-15, 03:24 AM
That's why I am inviting Colt to be in charge of our armory!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-15, 03:25 AM
Wow! You can't lose! :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-15, 05:41 AM
Don't worry Canuck. With the military forces of Canada we can't loose. The mounty protecting Ontario knows how to use a butter knife veryw well! 8)

P.S. Wohooo! my internet is finally back up. It crashed a while ago for some reason.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-15, 08:22 AM
That sounds so ....British. I think Canada should become a commonwealth fo the US also!

:D :lol: :D :lol:

Humphrey
2003-Jul-15, 08:26 AM

:D :lol: :D :lol:

The other way arouind my friends. The other way around....

You will be surprised when the entire Canadian army comes pouring out of hidden bunkers all over the U.S. and from the longest unprotected border in the u.s..

T-minus 15 days....

Preperations are futile. We have enougth forces to occupy every stae exceopt Alaska. We like you guys, se we are keeping you as you are. :-)

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-15, 11:33 AM
We have enougth forces to occupy every stae exceopt Alaska.
Hey, you don't even have enough population to occupy your own country! :roll: 8) :o

TriangleMan
2003-Jul-15, 11:44 AM
We have enougth forces to occupy every stae exceopt Alaska.
Hey, you don't even have enough population to occupy your own country! :roll: 8) :o

Apparantly KK you haven't heard, the wheels are already in motion (http://www.standonguard.com/index2.html) :o :P

Oh, and TSC:

Alaska? Medium-sized compared to provinces.
Time to brush up on your geography, off the top of my head Alaska should be bigger than any one individual province. [-X

diddidit
2003-Jul-15, 12:11 PM
What the hockey happened to my little Michigan thread? Krikey! It's the longest thread I've ever started, ever, anywhere! Also the least on-topic, but hey, it's the internet. Continue your mental wanderings...

did

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-19, 03:50 AM
Alaska? Medium-sized compared to provinces.
Time to brush up on your geography, off the top of my head Alaska should be bigger than any one individual province. [-X

Quiet you fool... I'm trying to spread propaganda...

ocasey3
2003-Jul-19, 04:29 AM
Any of you Metro Detroiters planning on going to the Selfridge Air Show next week....I am sooo excited!!

That's sounds like a good idea!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-19, 04:34 AM
You get an air show? Nuts! I mean... nuts! :wink:

man on the moon
2003-Jul-19, 07:19 AM
Any of you Metro Detroiters planning on going to the Selfridge Air Show next week....I am sooo excited!!

sadly i'm not at home this summer...is Willow Run or Battle Creek planning to do one this fall?

then there's Osh Kosh...100 years. i wonder if in 100 years there will be "SpaceShip shows". bring your ship/shuttle and show it off. i bet the Wright brothers never suspected where their discovery would end up! i wonder where the space program will go?

pulsar4529
2003-Jul-19, 01:51 PM
I know that Grosse Ile had one a few weeks ago, but I couldn't go.

Selfridge ANGB July 25-26

Airshow/Thunderbirds

Traverse City July 5-6

National Cherry Festival Airshow

Willow Run Aug. 9-10

Willow Run Airshow

Found this online.

diddidit
2003-Jul-19, 03:46 PM
The Muskegon Air Show was over the 4th of July weekend. I was driving home from work past the airport, going slow along with all the other rubberneckers, when one of the practicing Blue Angels F18s went right over my car, nearly supersonic, at treetop level. There are no letters on this keyboard to describe that sound! I almost shot out my sunroof...

did

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-19, 06:23 PM
Yeah I know. One time I was outside eating lunch and I heard this low-level humming noise. Didn't think much of it. Until it got louder. And louder. And louder eventually I looked up just in time to see about 20 Griffon helicopters buzzing my house! I swear they must only have been 75 feet off the ground. So close that I could even see the gunners' eyes. Wonder what they were doing?

Musashi
2003-Jul-19, 08:10 PM
They were probably looking for you! We used to have a base out here that had an air show every year (El Toro), but it closed donw :( There is a National Guard Depot down the street from me and a small airport very close by so I get a lot of helicopters (Army and Civie), and small planes flying around all the time.

ljbrs
2003-Jul-20, 12:49 AM

Detroit is fine. Do you ever go into Detroit? I go there a lot. Of course, there are badly behaved people all over. At least a few of them seem to have moved (fled) to the suburbs, though.

In Michigan. Westland.

ljbrs #-o

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-20, 02:37 AM
We used to have a base out here that had an air show every year (El Toro), but it closed donw

Yeah, I'm lucky. Since I live in the capital, I get an airshow every year even though the air force base closed down years ago...

pulsar4529
2003-Jul-20, 02:58 PM
Detroit is fine. Do you ever go into Detroit?

I go into Detroit sometimes. One time I went down there and I accidently went the wrong way down a one way street :o (there was NO sign), and a bunch of homeless people started running up to my car screaming at me.

But I like Detroit, if I stay in the right areas.

ocasey3
2003-Jul-23, 10:32 AM
Just found out that the Selfridge Air Show is free!!! I am so there! \:D/

pulsar4529
2003-Aug-04, 01:02 AM
I know this is a week late, but the airshow was cool. I loved the Thunderbirds. But the small aerobatic aircraft was also cool.

The only problem with it was some of the ignorance of people. I heard one mother say to her kids, oh my gosh, they have a space shuttle here, it looks so much smaller in real life. :o (it was blow-up climbing toy shuttle).

And then people were making up designations for planes. 'See that, thats the F-10938a, and it goes really fast" #-o

But it was awesome, and the weather cooperated nicely!

Bogie
2007-May-09, 04:42 PM
I grew up in Southwest Michigan, Benton Harbor, South Haven, then Lansing, Detroit area including Royal Oak and Troy, and somehow migrated to Florida. I visit "home" when I can and in fact am planning a trip to Kalamazoo and South Haven in August. I might crash a 45 year high school reunion in South Haven. I didn't graduate from there but grew up there through 8th grade and I remember many that I see on Classmates. Even got an invite to the reunion by signing up there.

I know this thread died over three years ago but I just noticed it today :).

Click Ticker
2007-May-09, 05:48 PM
Nice find. As I didn't know this place existed in 2003 - I feel it's okay to resurrect. I hail from Grand Rapids. It's a nice state - but our single industry dependence has killed our economy.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.

Fazor
2007-May-09, 06:20 PM
but our single industry dependence has killed our economy.
Naw, I attribute it to a certian college football team that will never be able to measure up to a certian team down south ;) ....(which in turn apparently will never measure up to a certian other team further south :( )

Bogie
2007-May-09, 06:31 PM
Nice find. As I didn't know this place existed in 2003 - I feel it's okay to resurrect. I hail from Grand Rapids. It's a nice state - but our single industry dependence has killed our economy.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.I first saw the rings around Saturn and the moons of Jupiter from a backyard in Grand Rapids. A Vietnam vet friend of mine lived there and I was living in Lansing (going to MSU). I drove over and his buddy had a 6" reflector. The mirror was so dirty that we had to take it apart and clean it before we could see much.

Michigan is great for star gazing though. As a young child in Benton Harbor (I clearly remember the storm of '47) my Dad pointed out the Milky Way. It filled the sky and was wondrous to me at the time. I have never seen it as clearly as on those crisp nights along Lake Michigan.

LurchGS
2007-May-10, 04:47 AM
I have relatives in Michigan, I think. That is, I don't think he's departed... but we're not close, so he might have. IIRC, he was at one of the larger hospitals in the Detroit area, neurosurgeon or some such (picked the training for the money, not because he felt a need to help people).

My great aunt/Uncle had a cabin on a small lake up in the UP (Lake Autrain, as I recall).

I spent a summer there - it was fun, riding my bike all over the place...

but the best place I've ever been to see the stars is out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, sleeping in a hammock slung on top of the pilothouse.

SockMonkey
2007-May-10, 08:28 AM
With all my fellow Michiganders about, there should be no confusion when I say "I'm trapped in Flint, help!"

Click Ticker
2007-May-10, 01:35 PM
With all my fellow Michiganders about, there should be no confusion when I say "I'm trapped in Flint, help!"

OH NO!!!! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!! QUICKLY!!!!

:D

Naw, I attribute it to a certian college football team that will never be able to measure up to a certian team down south ....(which in turn apparently will never measure up to a certian other team further south )

Doesn't bother me. I'm an MSU fan. We stink at football. While it's true you were able to enjoy one year of Greg Oden - we appear to have Izzo locked up for a good long time. And when we get to the championship game - we win it.