PDA

View Full Version : A Pole-dancing Lesson gone Awry

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-22, 07:24 PM
Here's a little gem my husband sent me: http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=353649

The 'ladies' in the video are speaking German, but you don't need a translator to figure out what is happening. Not to worry--this vid is definitely G-rated, in spite of the title. :D

Lurker
2007-Aug-22, 07:44 PM
That's unfortunate... pole-dancing, like any other gymnastic skill takes time to learn and one can expect more than a few spills. I am surprised such a new, inexperienced student was attempting such an advanced move without mats on the floor; gripping the bar with your thighs is not easy...

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-22, 07:50 PM
That was the instructor's idiocy :doh:; she shouldn't have had her student do something like that without a very thick mat beneath her to cushion her if she fell.

Lurker
2007-Aug-22, 07:56 PM
That was the instructor's idiocy :doh:; she shouldn't have had her student do something like that without a very thick mat beneath her to cushion her if she fell.
I have a friend who's a uh... um... dancer... the pole is not for the faint of heart... She's works out a lot to keep proficient...

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-22, 07:58 PM
...gripping the bar with your thighs is not easy...
Speaking from experience? :D

But overall you are right. It may be called dancing, but it is really non-standard gymnastics. It calls for plenty of safety...rule number one in gymnastics...learn to fall.

I grew up around gymnastics doing, teaching and administrating, I was also USGA safety certified.

Lurker
2007-Aug-22, 08:01 PM
Speaking from experience? :D

But overall you are right. It may be called dancing, but it is really non-standard gymnastics. It calls for plenty of safety...rule number one in gymnastics...learn to fall.

I grew up around gymnastics doing, teaching and administrating, I was also USGA safety certified.
No... from a friend's experience... I can't make any money from the sport... :cry:

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-22, 08:02 PM
... I can't make any money from the sport... :cry:
And I have lost it one dollar at a time...;)

Lurker
2007-Aug-22, 08:08 PM
And I have lost it one dollar at a time...;)
Hmmm... Not sure how much more is appropriate here, but I have taken some lessons from her... The problem is that even at 20% of the going rate... oh never mind...

She's an interesting woman though... a computer engineer for a well known company by day and a few evenings a week, she pole-dances

BigDon
2007-Aug-22, 09:51 PM
Man. I outgrew going to those places while still in the Navy.

It was about '81 the last time I crossed the threshhold of a strip joint on my own business. It was seeing the unregulated stripclubs/brothels overseas that soured me to the whole genre. A squalid, empty way to live IMHO. (There is almost no strip club in the world that isn't also a brothel. No matter what it says on the front door.)

Thinking hard, the last one I went into was what turned out to be a crib brothel* on the waterfront in a southeast Asian country. Had the big "What the Hell was I thinking?" moment there. The scale of the establishnment was mind boggling. Three stories in a huge warehouse like a demented mall from Hell. The bouncers were the biggest Asian men I've ever seen and they carried 6' whips (and not for show!) and the guards were mercenaries from Belgium armed with SMG's.

One of which saved me from a terrible fate. He saw that I was genuinely distressed at the outrages going on and he "stepped out of character" as I was leaving and he told me on no uncertain terms that "foreigners who leave this place alone never get to where they are going". Seems they had "deadfall" taxis there.

So I had to spend all freaking night there nursing drinks at the bar until the guys I arrived with were done at about 3 AM. Strangely enough the only guys who really enjoyed themselves there were from either New York or L.A.

And I got an interesting lecture when I complained about it. It seems in this particular city there was an unwritten agreement among the local powers that be, that to prevent trouble the taxi drivers would bring American sailors to area A for entertainment, Soviet sailors went to area B, and other Asians, and Middle Easterners where taken to area C. Where we were was in area C and off limits anyway, though we didn't get into trouble for it.

But that wasn't the scarey part.

The Navy's liason officer there came to see me personally to take my statement and when we were alone his whole demeaner went from official to pleading. He begged me not to carry this through because in the time he had the post no less than three sailors complained as I did and each and every one of them were murdered before the investigation got off the ground. Two of them were taken out of protective custody in holding cells.

All three had been tortured horribly for 24 hours then had their throats cut from ear to ear and dumped into the harbor. He brought photos of these guys to drive home the point. (I feel sick and adrenaline pumped just remembering) Now mind you he could have been bribed and "in on it" and was just trying (and succeeded!) to scare me, but *I* believed him to be sincere.

So yeah, I don't frequent such places. As I've been saying for years, there isn't a pimp or madam I've ever met that I wouldn't cheerfully watch drown.

Hope this wasn't too raw for BAUT.

BD

*This discibes how the "workers" are confined to their small rooms just big enough to fit a bed in, with a constant line of "clients" in front of the door. Not what else you may be thinking it meant.

Lurker
2007-Aug-22, 10:13 PM

Um... outgrew?? There are some for which this activity represents a Legitimate activity... not something out of which one is expected to grow. My friend earns a 6-figure salary by day but finds that this activity allows her to touch another side of her spirit.

Your post also seems to lump dancing with other occupations. In the dancing that my friend does there is "pimp or madam" it is not what it is all about. I would agree that given any sort of activity in the world, there are abuses and ugliness whether it is dancing or making shoes (ask Niki). It is unfortunate but true. People still wear Niki's and people still watch dancers inspite of excesses but this does not suggest that the excesses are condoned.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-22, 10:28 PM
She speaks Dutch, she's Belgian, she used to be Miss Belgium. Tanja Dexters. The blonde one. Now she's doing TV work, stunts and professional pole dancing (the artistic/acrobatic kind, not the pron kind of pole dancing. She keeps her clothes on).

The brunette is Els de Schepper, which is a media personality (TV, theatre). No ex miss belgium. It's fake, a promotion for the program "supervrouw" (super woman) by Els de Schepper, which is a theatre show (cabaret) as far as I know.

video showing it's fake:
http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=354597

At the end when they laugh they joke about how this kind of stress therapy normally costs you loads of money and they should do this every week :).

I'm quite sure it's shot in Dexters' own house, she has a high end chrome dancing pole installed in her house. Or so I heard.

The video contains some swearing but it's in Dutch so never mind ;).

Lurker
2007-Aug-22, 10:40 PM
Figures... it seemed pretty stupid to be teaching pole-dancing without mats on the floor. But then again... reality tv has shown us just how stupid people can be.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-22, 10:55 PM
I never said she wasn't stupid. ;) I must say it was good acting, even the camera men who stepped in.

Delvo
2007-Aug-23, 02:07 AM
It did seem strange that a "teacher" would deliberately move the "student"'s legs when she knew that that was how the "student" was staying up...

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 07:03 AM
Delvo, in the scene the teacher unlocks her legs because she wants to show how to glide back off the pole as she did when demonstrating the exercise.

The conversation goes like:

ok now loosen the legs
loosen the legs?
Loosen the legs! (opens her legs a bit too much)
*splat*

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 11:16 AM
I finally ventured into this thread...
and fortunately after the video was revealed to be fake.

But Im going to throw my two bits in along side BigDon.

I outgrew going to those establishments back while I was in the Army.
First time I went it was like Woooowoooooowwooooww
That effect wore off very quickly.
They were degrading to both sexes as well as boring. I spent most my time in them playing pool with the dancers when they werent dancing or just holding conversation. They appreciated (to some degree) having a man there that wasn't oggling or treating them like, well, a dancer.

In recent times I have found myself frequenting them again. Not as a customer though, but as the contractor.
I would go "backstage", and through out the works. No one really payed much attention to me. Just a service man they figured. I have seen a lot of things that I wish I hadn't. I saw a lot of the interior workings that I'd have preferred to remain ignorant of.
Sadly I was too good at my job. Prominant establishment managers began to think I was their buddy. I found myself invited to private parties, that I didnt want to refuse as that may disrespect my client base.
And I had other upstanding customers that were "familiar" with these managers.
Which of course resulted in my spending a great deal of time at parties with political figures and some of the high and mighty of the city... Including several of the surrounding cities mayors, etc.

I usually made a point to make an appearance and then try to get OUT of there.
But there came a time that I was asked to find a certain individual and wandering around avoiding little baggies, offers for bumps and advising people to wipe the white powder from their noses as I looked for this individual, I happened to notice the police arrive through a window.
I decided I should forgo my mission and make a hasty exit.
They came to check because of the loud music, however, after talking with the smiling men who rushed to greet them at the door, they quickly decided that a search of the premesis was totally unnecessary and that nothing was wrong and departed.
Too easy.
It was almost like being a part of the Mob or something. Law didn't exist.

I took a risk and...
I advised several of my clients to call G&M Contracting in the future.

Ok, I lost some income, I have zero regrets. Fortunate that is ALL I lost. The insanity was almost contagious around those people. I felt their warped thinking pounding at my consciousness like a fog.

I don't care what anyone says. There's an underlaying layer that many people (Fortunatly for them) remain ignorant of. I wish I still was.

Maksutov
2007-Aug-23, 11:28 AM
Funny that dancers aspiring to be professionals would travel from Warszawa to Germany just to get some kind of instruction.

:think:

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 11:58 AM
I know that you don't relate it directly to this video, but for the sake of the rep of the blonde involved (as far as she has one, but that's a different discussion) I'll repeat it: she does acrobatic/gymnastic pole dancing, never erotic pole dancing. I don't know how many acrobatic/gymnastic pole dancers Belgium counts, but she's one. The brunette has no pole dancing experience other than that video as far as I know.

Doodler
2007-Aug-23, 03:20 PM

It was about '81 the last time I crossed the threshhold of a strip joint on my own business. It was seeing the unregulated stripclubs/brothels overseas that soured me to the whole genre. A squalid, empty way to live IMHO. (There is almost no strip club in the world that isn't also a brothel. No matter what it says on the front door.)

Thinking hard, the last one I went into was what turned out to be a crib brothel* on the waterfront in a southeast Asian country. Had the big "What the Hell was I thinking?" moment there. The scale of the establishnment was mind boggling. Three stories in a huge warehouse like a demented mall from Hell. The bouncers were the biggest Asian men I've ever seen and they carried 6' whips (and not for show!) and the guards were mercenaries from Belgium armed with SMG's.

One of which saved me from a terrible fate. He saw that I was genuinely distressed at the outrages going on and he "stepped out of character" as I was leaving and he told me on no uncertain terms that "foreigners who leave this place alone never get to where they are going". Seems they had "deadfall" taxis there.

So I had to spend all freaking night there nursing drinks at the bar until the guys I arrived with were done at about 3 AM. Strangely enough the only guys who really enjoyed themselves there were from either New York or L.A.

And I got an interesting lecture when I complained about it. It seems in this particular city there was an unwritten agreement among the local powers that be, that to prevent trouble the taxi drivers would bring American sailors to area A for entertainment, Soviet sailors went to area B, and other Asians, and Middle Easterners where taken to area C. Where we were was in area C and off limits anyway, though we didn't get into trouble for it.

But that wasn't the scarey part.

The Navy's liason officer there came to see me personally to take my statement and when we were alone his whole demeaner went from official to pleading. He begged me not to carry this through because in the time he had the post no less than three sailors complained as I did and each and every one of them were murdered before the investigation got off the ground. Two of them were taken out of protective custody in holding cells.

All three had been tortured horribly for 24 hours then had their throats cut from ear to ear and dumped into the harbor. He brought photos of these guys to drive home the point. (I feel sick and adrenaline pumped just remembering) Now mind you he could have been bribed and "in on it" and was just trying (and succeeded!) to scare me, but *I* believed him to be sincere.

So yeah, I don't frequent such places. As I've been saying for years, there isn't a pimp or madam I've ever met that I wouldn't cheerfully watch drown.

Hope this wasn't too raw for BAUT.

BD

*This discibes how the "workers" are confined to their small rooms just big enough to fit a bed in, with a constant line of "clients" in front of the door. Not what else you may be thinking it meant.

Comparing that experience to European or American clubs is like comparing the Waldorf Astoria hotel to Abu Ghraib prison. I've been in some serious holes in the wall in the US, and its nothing like that by even the most remote stretch of the imagination.

I'd hesitate to slander an entire mode of entertainment simply because a bunch of barbarians barely elevated out of stone age life by the uncontrolled spread of technology from globalization consider acceptable.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but my own estimation of behavior in this 'global village' has lead me to the conclusion that there's a long road between being homo sapien and being human.

Lurker
2007-Aug-23, 04:33 PM
I think that one of the drawbacks of our society is that it has trouble distinguishing between shades of grey and as a result tends to see too many issues in terms of black and white. One can find the worst kinds of of clubs if one wishes to go look for them. However, there is, middle ground as well.

The friend that I mentioned in a previous post does not consider pole-dancing, for women or for men, as degrading. She is a very successful computer engineer and is, at this point in her life, financially set. However, there is a side of her spirit that seeks more in life than success as an engineer. She finds a creative, sensual, satisfying outlet in dancing that she says, "Sets my spirit free". I agree that this occupation can have its rather ugly side, but so can sports, card games, and any other pursuit.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 05:13 PM
I think that one of the drawbacks of our society is that it has trouble distinguishing between shades of grey and as a result tends to see too many issues in terms of black and white. One can find the worst kinds of of clubs if one wishes to go look for them. However, there is, middle ground as well.

The friend that I mentioned in a previous post does not consider pole-dancing, for women or for men, as degrading. She is a very successful computer engineer and is, at this point in her life, financially set. However, there is a side of her spirit that seeks more in life than success as an engineer. She finds a creative, sensual, satisfying outlet in dancing that she says, "Sets my spirit free". I agree that this occupation can have its rather ugly side, but so can sports, card games, and any other pursuit.

Pole dancing, as Nicolas also pointed out.

Kinda like belly dancing is a pretty erotic dance. But not ALWAYS.
Many women enjoy belly dancing for the workout it gives and wouldn't dream of doing it as a show.

So far this thread was a humorous one. It has taken something of an ugly turn at this point.

I think it's best that judgements are suspended at this point as to the general goings on in a shady business at best.
Those who have seen the inside speak from experience. Those who have not can throw opinions. woopie.

This particular topic deals with pole dancing. That is not quite the same as erotic dancers at a night club where you carry a thick wad of $5's or $1's.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 05:18 PM
You mean gray. Grey is the spelling for the name.

ETA: took a moment to cool off at something that's none of my business.

NEOWatcher
2007-Aug-23, 05:28 PM
I always thought both were acceptable, so I looked in my Webster.

grey (gra) adj. & n. gray.

Lurker
2007-Aug-23, 05:32 PM
Again, this thread is about Pole Dancing, not the moral questionable spirit free night club gimmie a buck dancing.
creative, sensual, satisfying... gimmie a break.

"creative, sensual, satisfying" they were her words not mine...

I like this... someone finds a way of life that is fulfilling and people have to find reason to be upset with it... but that's not enough, they have to make comments like "gimmie a break". Sensual dance classes are, in some places in this country, very popular. Women find a wonderful outlet in this sort of activity and are not ready for the stupid attitude of some who would make it nasty and ugly ruin it for them. Yes they do get paid... so do a lot of people in other occupations... even some Astronomers get paid even though they enjoy what they are doing...

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 05:34 PM
I always thought both were acceptable, so I looked in my Webster.

I know what I was taught.
But its a grey, ,,,;., crud
It's a gray area.

Maybe you can get Gillianrens advice:p

But then i also noticed in one of her posts that she spelled something like "colour" instead of color. Which is the British spelling :think:

Lurker
2007-Aug-23, 06:30 PM

ETA: took a moment to cool off at something that's none of my business.
That's the real point that I have been attempting to make on this thread. This type of activity is not particularly regulated in this country because it is considered inappropriate and something that should be engaged in only on "that side of the tracks". As has been seen before in this country, an industry that is unregulated tends to exploit many of those involved and engage in less than satisfactory business practices in order to maximize the cash flow.

However even in this environment, some have chosen to dance in this fashion because it appeals to a wild part of the spirit that they want to share; if you doubt this I suggest you consider those of us (35000 to 40000 people) who attend Burning Man (http://www.burningman.com/) and other such events each year.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 06:38 PM
The last burning man I saw had too much wusabi at the sushi bar:D

Lurker
2007-Aug-23, 06:46 PM
The last burning man I saw had too much wusabi at the sushi bar:D

Yup... ya have no clue about those who follow a different path...

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 07:02 PM
Yup... ya have no clue about those who follow a different path...

OK Lurker.

I tried to be nice.
I edited my posts.
I discussed this with you one on one.
I even tried to respond to your rude persistance with humor(wasnt easy- took a while to think up Wusabi...)

And yet you still persist.

So let me be clear about something.

This social movement of sexual liberation disturbs me.

Whether it's nude beaches, strippers or even hollywoods obsession with having a sex scene in almost every movie they make.
I can't stand in line at the grocery store without seeing ten magazines advising me on how to be better in bed.

And I'm tired of it.

Sex isn't a mass produced commodity. It is a personal private thing between a couple. It is noone elses business. Anyone IN that business is either making money or living a delsuion.

Because when you prioritize it as seperate entity you lose track of what you really value.
It is dishonorable, vulgar, perverted, unwarranted and, frankly, anyone seeking a "free spirited sensual satisfaction" sounds like a hippy that didnt learn their lesson back in the seventies after contracting enough VD to fell an elephant.

Society today has grown disturbingly tolerant to vulgar self satisfaction, yet turns around and can't figure out why the divorce rate is so high and people complain more about failed relationships today than ever before.
Hmm maybe it's because we have demoralized ourselves to the point we cant recognize true value anymore much less how to work hard for long term goals instead of short fleeting empty satisfaction.

Your friends excuses don't hold water. She's getting her rocks off.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 07:09 PM
Total thread hijacking and derailment.

This thread was not on this topic but rather on a form of dancing.

Just to be clear on that.

Lurker
2007-Aug-23, 07:14 PM
OK Lurker.

I tried to be nice.
I edited my posts.
I discussed this with you one on one.
I even tried to respond to your rude persistance with humor(wasnt easy- took a while to think up Wusabi...)

And yet you still persist.

So let me be clear about something.

This social movement of sexual liberation disturbs me.

Whether it's nude beaches, strippers or even hollywoods obsession with having a sex scene in almost every movie they make.
I can't stand in line at the grocery store without seeing ten magazines advising me on how to be better in bed.

And I'm tired of it.

Sex isn't a mass produced commodity. It is a personal private thing between a couple. It is noone elses business. Anyone IN that business is either making money or living a delsuion.

Because when you prioritize it as seperate entity you lose track of what you really value.
It is dishonorable, vulgar, perverted, unwarranted and, frankly, anyone seeking a "free spirited sensual satisfaction" sounds like a hippy that didnt learn their lesson back in the seventies after contracting enough VD to fell an elephant.

Society today has grown disturbingly tolerant to vulgar self satisfaction, yet turns around and can't figure out why the divorce rate is so high and people complain more about failed relationships today than ever before.
Hmm maybe it's because we have demoralized ourselves to the point we cant recognizxe true value anymore much less how to work hard for long term goals instead of short fleeting empty satisfaction.

Your friends excuses don't hold water. She's getting her rocks off.
emphasis mine...

I really hope the mods see that as ad hominem... someone you have never met... someone you know nothing about and yet you decide for the rest of us that "She's getting her rocks off". The fact that nothing she says is of any use to you makes you about as closed minded as one can get.

Yup... you have judged and decided that everyone must live by your standards of what's proper in life. I feel sorry for you... I feel sorry for some of the other so-called intellectuals here who would enforce their "logical, rational" idea of how the rest of us should live. Well... the rest of us don't necessarily want to live in your squalid world so we just choose to follow our own way without you... your diatribe is ugly but, in the end, does not affect those of us who would travel a different path...

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 07:22 PM
That being the case, Ill go ahead and leave my post unedited. Should the Mods decide it is an Ad Hom and to act- I'll accept that.
In the meantime,
You and I lurker have derailed and sucked the humor out of a quite benign thread with your persistance of free spirited sensuality which began when you attacked BigDon for talking about a very real and dangerous situation.

It was more important to you to defend "the other side" than to respect that someones life could have been in danger.

I'll accept the accusation of my bad attitude- I hope that you can too.

As far as close mindedness... Someone around here has a sig that says something about an open mind needs a screen door to keep the bugs out.

Noclevername
2007-Aug-23, 07:25 PM
Neverfly, what's wrong with rocks being gotten off? Lighten up, it's just an opinion, nothing more.

EDIT: Whoops, already covered, I see. My computer's slow today.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 07:28 PM
Neverfly, what's wrong with rocks being gotten off? Lighten up, it's just an opinion, nothing more.

I've been trying to!
I know I take a pretty strong stand in what I believe in morally.
From here on out- should I have an issue with that topic or individual I will try again (albeit it failed once already) to take it back to PM.

If that fails again, I'll try to ignore the posts made. Ive really said more than enough already anyway.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 07:36 PM
On an on toic note, the blonde (in the clip, she tends to change colours), Tanja Dexters, knows a thing or two about falling. Basejumping is on her list of hobbies. The non-erotic kind of basejumping.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 07:39 PM
For the physical fitness involved, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than that.
But what exactly is basejumping?
I've heard of skydiving, cliff jumping and bunjee jumping...

Lurker
2007-Aug-23, 07:42 PM
You and I lurker have derailed and sucked the humor out of a quite benign thread with your persistance of free spirited sensuality which began when you attacked BigDon for talking about a very real and dangerous situation.

No.... I posted that a single incident cannot be used to judge... people have gotten killed with shotguns and automatic weapons across this country in post offices in recent years... this does not suggest to me that we should abolish the postal system nor that we should place metal detectors at each and every postal Annex.

Sorry you don't like the way the thread has gone... it is hardly the first thread that has wandered from the basic topic of the op. Often when a thread wanders those who are no longer interested stop posting or start a new thread. I have tried to keep my posts cordial and light, but the free mixing of the term exotic dancing with talk of pimps and madams leads me to think some clarification might be in order for those who think the three terms are always interchangable; perhaps it is so in some places, but for many of us it is not the case.

I think what concerns me most is your casual off-handed condemnation of a woman who in engaged in something about which you know nothing. Not only do you say that clarification is not necessary, you explain her motives in the most ugly and base of terms and then go on to say that no other explanation can possibly be true. When I post against this hopeless diatribe I am accused of being closed minded for attempting to clarify and of derailing the thread...

If my posts in the forums on this board are unwelcome, it is only necessary for the moderators or administrators to contact me and I will leave. To date I have had no warnings and I was suspended once because I felt that I was directly attacked by the Moderator, Jim, with the ugliest of ad hominem and that the other Moderators were not going to do anything about it. [Looking back I am not so sure, but hindsight is always 20/20] So... if the tone and nature of my posts in unwelcome I would suggest that the community at large here let me know... I will be more than happy to leave...

Noclevername
2007-Aug-23, 07:47 PM
For the physical fitness involved, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than that.

BASE Jumping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_Jumping) is parachuting off a structure, usually a bridge or skyscraper. It's incredibly dangerous and thus appeals to the "extreme sports" crowd.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 07:48 PM

parachute jumping from things that stand on the ground. For example towers, buildings, bridges, dams, cliffs...

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 07:52 PM
parachute jumping from things that stand on the ground. For example towers, buildings, bridges, dams, cliffs...

RoCk on!

I did some parachuting in the Army.

This may sound strange but the training is base jumping (Sad I didnt recognize the term- we called it simply "The Drop")

I preferred doing it from the air because you are so high up that it seems surreal. I wasn't scared by it.
Jumping from a short distance really kicks in the fear factor.
It galls me to admit it but... Im afraid of heights :blush:

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 08:00 PM
(snip)

(snip too) and of derailing the thread...
I'm just as guilty.

(If my posts in the forums on this board are unwelcome, it is only necessary for the moderators or administrators to contact me and I will leave. (snip)
...posts in unwelcome I would suggest that the community at large here let me know... I will be more than happy to leave...

I debated PM'ing this but in the end...

I didnt want to rudely ignore this part.

Lurker I sincerely hope you don't feel unwelcome by any means.
We may be in total disagreement on something based on our own personal experiences.
We all get tempers sometimes especially on touchy topics.

For me, I do read your posts all across BAUT and find value in them.

I, too, banned myself from BAUT for quite a while.

And that time may be soon comming again for another hiatus.

I snapped earlier too. Then in light of what you said decided it's best to let it stand.

Ok so we disagree. So what?

I, for one, hope you continue to post on BAUT and just be yourself.

besides

Now we need your opinion on basejumping:p

Van Rijn
2007-Aug-23, 08:09 PM
I know what I was taught.
But its a grey, ,,,;., crud
It's a gray area.

American spelling is usually "gray." British spelling is usually "grey." 'Course, I can get them mixed up if I don't think about it, especially around here with both American and British English in common use.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 08:11 PM
American spelling is usually "gray." British spelling is usually "grey." 'Course, I can get them mixed up if I don't think about it, especially around here with both American and British English in common use.

The actual person who taught me that (also that a glass is a glass and a plastic glass is still a glass not a cup- only tea or coffee is put in a cup) was my Grandmother.

Now she's pretty old...
But not so old to remember the revolutionary war:neutral:
Yet she bears a grudge for it and was pretty enthusiastic:p about ensuring:p that I don't spell anything the way the "Brits" do:p

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 08:12 PM
RoCk on!

I did some parachuting in the Army.

This may sound strange but the training is base jumping (Sad I didnt recognize the term- we called it simply "The Drop")

I preferred doing it from the air because you are so high up that it seems surreal. I wasn't scared by it.
Jumping from a short distance really kicks in the fear factor.
It galls me to admit it but... Im afraid of heights :blush:

In the Belgian army, as far as I know they train from a airship thingy that is held in place by cables. Jumping from lower indeed is more dangerous than from a higher distance, because you have less time. Fear of heights is related to distance in a funny way: it doesn't work above a certain altitude. The visually triggered fear of heights for example will never work when 10km up in an aircraft. I assume it more or less stops when you're so high you don't see any significant (perspective) shift when moving the head, hence the ground appears at infinity and an important aspect of sense of distance (distance being depth in this case) is lost. When taking off in a small aircraft, you can feel sort of fear of heights when climbing out and looking outside, but then suddenly the feeling reduces and stops, I can't remember but I thought already at about 200m. (looking into a gorge is different because then you have far stronger depth cues). So when jumping from a plane a few km up, of course you can have fear of the action itself or fear of having nothing beneath your feet, but you won't have pure visually triggered fear of heights.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 08:17 PM
We used a rig. You go up in a lift. I looked down and knew that death was iminent.

After I landed, my knees were like putty. I tried to hide it but the traineer had a good eye for such...
I swear he made me do more drops than I was supposed to.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Hand it to Tanja Dexters, she may be a lady but she has a pair of serious brass
Parachute rings:p

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 08:23 PM
She also does stunt work, amongst other things. Singing was less successful.

Now don't get me wrong, just because I know some facts about her doesn't make me a fan. You simply can't get around some media figures whether you like them or not. Take for example Lindsay Lohan.

I must say that Dexters hasn't been involved in scandals that I know of, and that she tends to work for her income, and the wild things are in her nature, not some forced media behaviour. As you will understand, you will not for example basejump on a regular basis just for the media if you don't truly like doing it. So in the ex-miss, still media figure category, she's quite allright.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 08:25 PM
According to these two videos she's quite the able actress as well...:think:

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 08:37 PM
That clip was very well done indeed. I wouldn't want her for a subtle role because I think she wouldn't come over too natural there, but when she can put her energy into it, she's fine indeed. She has few enough "brakes" to be able to do this kind of acting convincingly :D. I must say that the first part, the teaching, was also very convincing, but in teaching the real thing and the acting are very closely related (compared to for example acting a scene where you have to confess something bad to your supposed partner). Teaching is some kind of acting :).

The same goes for Els de Schepper, but with her theater experience, she may be the better actress. Of course theater and tv/film require different kinds of acting.

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-23, 09:17 PM
if the tone and nature of my posts in unwelcome I would suggest that the community at large here let me know... I will be more than happy to leave...

Lurker, your posts are not unwelcome in any way, AFAIC. Please do not leave. :(

An ex-friend of mine also considered taking up stripping on the side. She wound up not doing it for some unknown reason, but she did do Hustler Honey night twice. Some strip clubs are better than others; Hustler's is somewhere in the middle. I've only been to two in my life (at the behest of my friend or a male companion); one was Hustler's and the other was Archibald's (this nasty dive in downtown DC near McPherson Sq.). Hustler's is located across the street from a police sub-station.

That's interesting RE what Nicholas has revealed about the clip; it pays to be multi-lingual. My uncle (he married my mom's sister) is from The Netherlands (yes, I have a Dutch uncle ;)), so he probably would have figured that thread out too. Sigh...if only we could go to Europe this year....

Ugh...brain is sozzled on Percocet...feels a little strange. Hope I'm making some sense here.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-23, 09:32 PM
You didn't need to understand Dutch in order to know it was staged: in the comments section, there are multiple links and English comments to a follow-on clip, the one clearly showing it is fake.

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-23, 09:36 PM
You didn't need to understand Dutch in order to know it was staged: in the comments section, there are multiple links and English comments to a follow-on clip, the one clearly showing it is fake.

Aha! Didn't read that part...ah well. :o