PDA

View Full Version : Rehab for a sprained ankle

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-22, 07:48 PM
I sprained my ankle pretty badly this morning; I stepped on a rock just the wrong way and hit the ground on my ankle instead of my foot. MDs have x-rayed the ankle and haven't found any fractures, but they are wanting me to wait until 2 wks minimum before running again.

Now, this prospect is killing me here, as I'm a certified exercise junkie and Marine Corps is on the horizon. Is there any way I can speed this process up?

I'm on a dose-pak (methylprednisolone), which I began taking today. I'm on crutches, but I don't think the ankle hurts that bad.

Are there any athletes/ex-athletes/trainers/physical therapists/medical personnel/people who've had this injury on the BAUT who could give me some advice here?

CodeSlinger
2007-Aug-23, 12:58 AM
I don't think there is anyway to speed up the healing process with a sprain. Just take the MD's advice and wait (at least) 2 weeks. And be very very careful (and patient) when you do start running again, because it's incredibly easy to get into a cycle of re-injuring the same area over and over again.

sarongsong
2007-Aug-23, 01:44 AM
Arnica (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm) http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

2007-Aug-23, 02:18 AM
Mine was the best thing that happened to me in the last few years, though I didn't know it at the time. I hadn't... enjoyed exercise for many years, but after the second sprain in 6 months (double-ouch), I decided to get lighter. Lost more than a third of my weight, took myself down to normal body-mass index, at highschool weight, and turned myself into a 5-mile a day jogger. I'm an endorphin junkie. I still don't recognize myself in the mirror.

So what helped? Patience. Mine was bad. It was a few days before I could walk to the front sidewalk. It was a couple weeks before I could walk down 3 houses. A few more weeks before I could walk once around the block. A few more weeks before I could walk a mile. Six months before the pain was nearly gone -- and then I resprained it, tripping on the same stoopid doormat. Start over.

Just move the best you can. Walking a mile is as good as running a mile; it just takes longer. Hang in there. Wait. Keep trying. It will get better. Promise.

I think balance exercises, once I could, have helped me. What do they call it... the proprioceptor nerves that detect position and the muscle-memory reflexes to correct danger without the signal going all the way to the brain and back. I built a wobble board and used it daily. I balanced on one foot a lot, solid ground, arms down, eyes closed. I walked on only toes and only heels. I walked backwards. I hopped a lot. I know my ankle has, at least a couple of times, been starting to get into trouble and harmlessly corrected itself, thanks to its training. I can run across uneven fields without too much concern now, 3 years later.

I feel for you. Write any time if you need encouragement.

Maksutov
2007-Aug-23, 02:32 AM
I sprained my ankle pretty badly this morning; I stepped on a rock just the wrong way and hit the ground on my ankle instead of my foot. MDs have x-rayed the ankle and haven't found any fractures, but they are wanting me to wait until 2 wks minimum before running again.

Now, this prospect is killing me here, as I'm a certified exercise junkie and Marine Corps is on the horizon. Is there any way I can speed this process up?

I'm on a dose-pak (methylprednisolone), which I began taking today. I'm on crutches, but I don't think the ankle hurts that bad.

Are there any athletes/ex-athletes/trainers/physical therapists/medical personnel/people who've had this injury on the BAUT who could give me some advice here?Ouch!

I'm really sorry to hear that!

Since you've done the x-rays and seen the MD, then there's the hot/cold regimen for a while.

Meanwhile keep off it. And once it's to the point where you can put some weight on it, try starting with a bicycle (stationary or the real thing). With the MD's blessing of course. That will strengthen the various muscles in the ankle region without subjecting them to sudden shocks.

Best of luck with the Marine Corps. One marathon I never got around to doing. Had a number of friends who did, and they really liked the tour of the monuments in DC. Plus the Corps really knows how to organize and manage an event.

Hang in there, and it's time to work on upper-body strength for a while.

2007-Aug-23, 02:42 AM
Oh. Cold. It took me a while to figure out how to cool it good. Gel cold-packs are OK. Best was taking a tall waste basket and filling it with the garden hose. I could immerse to my knee and that would chill me down fast and deep. Felt good!

And, don't soak in cold water, then apply ice, and fall asleep, unless you're a big fan of frostbite.

mugaliens
2007-Aug-23, 11:00 AM

Are there any athletes/ex-athletes/trainers/physical therapists/medical personnel/people who've had this injury on the BAUT who could give me some advice here?

Ahhh... As a long-time sufferer of sprained ankles (20+ years, and still an Ultimate Frisbee fanatic), here's my recipe:

1. Stay off it for six weeks. Sorry, but it's HEALING. This takes time, so forget about trying to speed things up - it only robs you of future use of your ankle.

2. Rotate it. Simply rotate your foot, underpronate, and overpronate, many times a day.

3. See one and two. If you can't see one and two, see four and five.

4. Wait - reference one and two.

5. Wait - reference one and two. DUH. Your body takes TIME to heal. Give it. Stop pushing it!

DyerWolf
2007-Aug-23, 01:20 PM
Para -

I've had several sprained ankles: - From 5 - 35 I would have said, RICE it first then just "walk it off" and start running again when you feel ready.

Except that in '04 I sprained my ankle so bad it felt as if the foot separated from the leg. A year later it still hurt, and I felt as if I could sprain it again at any moment. I decided to go for Phys Therapy (which I scoffed before).

Gottta admit: I'm a convert. Six weeks after starting Phys Therapy, the pain was gone and I felt less "tottery" on the ankle. Now both ankles feel equally strong. Get the phys therapy if offered.

CodeSlinger
2007-Aug-23, 02:42 PM
(20+ years, and still an Ultimate Frisbee fanatic)

Greetings, fellow Ultimate fanatic!

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-23, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, everybody! :) My ankle is already a lot less painful than yesterday.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-23, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, everybody! :) My ankle is already a lot less painful than yesterday.

Great! :)
Go for a run.

2007-Aug-23, 06:38 PM
Go for a run.

In high heels. On cobblestones.

Good practice!

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-23, 09:19 PM
Percocet....is....working...might....follow....adv ice....:D

sarongsong
2007-Aug-24, 03:42 AM
In high heels...Big money in stiletto racing (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=494&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=stiletto+races&spell=1)! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

novaderrik
2007-Aug-24, 06:10 AM
i've sprained my ankle pretty good before and had to go to work the next day- jumping on and off a table 28" off the ground and kneeling while i was up there putting house trusses together. over and over again over a 12 hour time period. a few ibuprofen tablets a day, and after a couple of days the pain is totally gone.
and this was after a doctor told me to take a week off work- which i couldn't afford, since there were bills to pay and i didn't have any vacation or sick time banked up at the time.
i have a similar story about when i broke 3 toes playing volleyball. and a few stories about when i had to get stitches in my hammer hand due to getting cut at work..

Paracelsus
2007-Aug-24, 09:27 AM
Big money in stiletto racing (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=494&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=stiletto+races&spell=1)! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

:lol:

That reminds me of the 'drag races' that are held in DC every October, where guys dress up in drag (high heels and all) and race around DuPont Circle. I've never seen it, but I've heard it's a scream.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-24, 10:01 AM

I've personally never sprained my ankle on BAUT. But you must be careful when threading here indeed, the forum has quite some depth to it in places and threads regularly go off the deep end, so you can hurt yourself badly there.

I'm sorry.

Maksutov
2007-Aug-24, 10:07 AM
It happened a few times on the previous Bad Astronomy forum. Those were some babb injuries.

IIRC, one was due to someone tripping on a rug.