PDA

View Full Version : Attention, counterfeiters: new thread

2007-Aug-26, 05:15 PM
I couldn't help it. When I clicked on the New-Thread button, I was thinking the title had to include "new thread".

Washington Post: Currency Change Aimed at Adding Security (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/26/AR2007082600320.html)

A new security thread has been approved for the [US] $100 bill [...] and the change will cause double-takes.
[...]
The operation of the new security thread looks like something straight out of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This magic, however, relies on innovations produced from decades of development.
[...]
Move the bill side to side and the image appears to move up and down. Move the bill up and down and the image appears to move from side to side.

And now I shall click on the Submit-New-Thread button.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-26, 06:38 PM
<chuckle>
That's awful, 01101001.
:p

I can't help but wonder if the cost of the new feature is worth the cost of the new feature:think:...

sarongsong
2007-Aug-26, 10:13 PM
...looks like something straight out of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This magic...Well, I've never had any trouble making the 'old' $100 bills disappear...re-appearing is the problem! :)

tdvance
2007-Aug-26, 11:15 PM
The newest way to make counterfeit 100 dollar bills might be to compromise a few employees of the contractor company making the security threads.

Todd

Ronald Brak
2007-Aug-27, 12:43 AM
We used to have counterfeiter gangs in Australia. But they wouldn't counterfeit Australian money, they'd counterfeit U.S. dollars cause it was a lot easier. Our notes are all plastic extremly difficult to copy and almost indestructible. I used to have a plastic $5 note I'd give to Japanese school children and tell them to try to rip it and they never could. But then one day after years of abuse it simply cracked in half. I think its heart broke when it realized it was only worth 286 yen.

Ronald Brak
2007-Aug-27, 12:45 AM
And what is it with the word counterfeit? What ever happened to i before e except after c? Stoopid English.

Doodler
2007-Aug-27, 02:15 PM
<chuckle>
That's awful, 01101001.

I can't help but wonder if the cost of the new feature is worth the cost of the new feature:think:...

As long as they're spending less than $100 per bill to implement it, why not?

Doodler
2007-Aug-27, 02:16 PM
We used to have counterfeiter gangs in Australia. But they wouldn't counterfeit Australian money, they'd counterfeit U.S. dollars cause it was a lot easier. Our notes are all plastic extremly difficult to copy and almost indestructible. I used to have a plastic $5 note I'd give to Japanese school children and tell them to try to rip it and they never could. But then one day after years of abuse it simply cracked in half. I think its heart broke when it realized it was only worth 286 yen.

Might have something to do with the fact that US currency's a little more global than Australian, too.

It always fascinated me that there are more greenbacks in circulation outside of the US than in.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-27, 02:26 PM
As long as they're spending less than $100 per bill to implement it, why not?

So, if it's $97 it's all good?

Whew!!

Neverfly
2007-Aug-27, 02:30 PM
From ringworks dot com...

In Canada, we have recently begun receiving and using new $10 bills that are harder for counterfeiters to reproduce. I overheard this conversation, between two ladies, on a bus:

Lady #1: "You know the new $10 bills? Do you know how much it costs the government to print them?"
Lady #2: "I don't know. Twenty bucks each?"
Lady #1: "Well, that's what I thought too, but I saw on the news yesterday that they only cost four cents!"
Lady #2: "WHAT?? Four cents! And we pay ten bucks for them? What a rip off!"

Doodler
2007-Aug-27, 02:31 PM
So, if it's $97 it's all good?

Whew!!

Yeah, it is. Considering that the penny and nickel are actually money losers because the cost of manufacture exceeds currency value.

The cost of paper money before most of these changes was less than 10 cents a bill. With the new security, they could go as high as 25 cents a bill and that would represent an enormous investment without significantly compromising the value of the bill.

tdvance
2007-Aug-27, 05:13 PM
And what is it with the word counterfeit? What ever happened to i before e except after c? Stoopid English.

well, if it were the other way, it would be pronounced "counterfeet"!

or "counterfeeut" (or "counterfight" in German).

It probably came from some nonEnglish language--as I guess every English word not coined by English speakers had.

There was an I Love Lucy episode in which Ricky struggled with reading an article aloud that used nearly every common "ough" word in it somewhere.

Todd

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Aug-27, 07:08 PM
Our notes are all plastic extremly difficult to copy and almost indestructible.

I was in Oz way back in 2000, and I was so impressed by your notes. I loved the little window! That's right, folks, Ozzie bank notes have a completely transparent section! Brilliant idea. Good luck trying to counterfeit that with a colour photocopier!

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Aug-27, 07:21 PM
It probably came from some nonEnglish language--as I guess every English word not coined by English speakers had.

The main reason that English is so horrifically difficult to learn as a second language, is that most of its words a nonEnglish. ;) Celtic, Germanic, Latin, Greek, French, Indian - so many different influences lead to the huge number of exceptions to every rule of grammar, spelling and pronunciation.

boppa
2007-Aug-28, 10:42 AM
I was in Oz way back in 2000, and I was so impressed by your notes. I loved the little window! That's right, folks, Ozzie bank notes have a completely transparent section! Brilliant idea. Good luck trying to counterfeit that with a colour photocopier!

http://www.banknotes.com/AU52.JPG to see what he means

pilgrim
2007-Aug-28, 11:12 AM
The main reason that English is so horrifically difficult to learn as a second language, is that most of its words a nonEnglish. ;) Celtic, Germanic, Latin, Greek, French, Indian - so many different influences lead to the huge number of exceptions to every rule of grammar, spelling and pronunciation.

Would your first language happen to be Afrikaans by any chance? The 3 years I spent around Swaziland made me consider that a very tricky one to learn. All I remember now is 'lekker' (probably misspelled)

On the currency related topic, I must say I'm partial to Euro. Very handy, great for crossing borders of countries without realising it since then you don't find yourself in a different country without a dime of local currency and nowhere to change money.

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Aug-28, 01:06 PM
Would your first language happen to be Afrikaans by any chance?

No, but it's my (distant) second. Rusty with misuse, but I can easily make myself understood in it.

It's actually a relatively simple language, with a regular grammar and spelling and very few of the "exceptions to the rule" that so bedevil the English language. You could consider Afrikaans a simplified version of Dutch, and Dutch could be considered a simplified German.

Wat het jy in Swaziland gedoen? - What did you do in Swaziland?

Dis lekker om met iemand te gesels wat Suider Afrika ken. - It's nice to chat with someone who knows Southern Africa.

:-)

pilgrim
2007-Aug-28, 01:20 PM
No, but it's my (distant) second. Rusty with misuse, but I can easily make myself understood in it.

It's actually a relatively simple language, with a regular grammar and spelling and very few of the "exceptions to the rule" that so bedevil the English language. You could consider Afrikaans a simplified version of Dutch, and Dutch could be considered a simplified German.

Wat het jy in Swaziland gedoen? - What did you do in Swaziland?

Dis lekker om met iemand te gesels wat Suider Afrika ken. - It's nice to chat with someone who knows Southern Africa.

:-)

My step dad had a job there for a while between 1999 and 2002. We lived in Mbabane. I agree, it's nice to chat with someone who knows Southern Africa. I really missed it when we moved away, and still do sometimes. Just the whole 'bug called Africa' thing. Nowadays I only ever get my Africa fix from online Madam and Eve cartoons. Must admit, I have a soft spot for Joburg. If we hadn't moved from Swaziland I'd probably be there now. You from there originally?

Stuart van Onselen
2007-Aug-28, 08:09 PM
Must admit, I have a soft spot for Joburg. ... You from there originally?

I moved to Joburg in 1995 after graduating. I was born in Durban, but I grew up in the Eastern Cape, 30 minutes from the coast. I still miss the coastal weather. Even after 12 years, I still find Joburg winters too cold, and the summers too hot. But otherwise, I do feel at home here. Couldn't tell you why, probably masochism! ;)

Isn't the Internet cool? You can still read Madam and Eve, even though you're (literally) half-a-world away. Aah, back when I were a lad, 'twas impossible, that sorta thing! :)

mugaliens
2007-Aug-28, 08:38 PM
I crunched some numbers from the website: $46 Million for the contract to produce the new bank threads. Currently $776 billion are in circulation.

Now I have to assume they'll eventually attempt to retire most if not all of that. If so, each of the strips run about 6/10ths of a cent apiece. If they're not planing on retiring the strips, they could considerably more expensive, but I still couldn't imagine them costing more than, say, a buck each.

Still, I think it's interesting that $46 million was spent, which means the Treasury Dept believes that there is at least that much counterfeit hundreds out there.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-28, 08:47 PM
The high tech scanners are only a part of the deal.

The paper is not made out of printer paper for one thing.

And the ink is pressed into the paper between two rollers at two tons of pressure(One method). Ever notice how you can kinda feel the inked parts as slightly raised? That's why.

Im not speaking from experience here, but there is much more involved to counterfeiting than throwing a bill into a copy machine.

Doodler
2007-Aug-28, 08:52 PM
Still, I think it's interesting that $46 million was spent, which means the Treasury Dept believes that there is at least that much counterfeit hundreds out there.

Its the highest denomination bill in common circulation.

When was the last time you saw a $500 or $1000 note? $10,000 and up doesn't exist outside of direct bank transfers.

Maximizing your money, from a counterfeiter's perspective, none of the other bills are worth consideration.

mugaliens
2007-Aug-28, 10:41 PM
I certainly wouldn't carry it around... That's what wire transfers are for.

pilgrim
2007-Aug-29, 09:38 AM
I moved to Joburg in 1995 after graduating. I was born in Durban, but I grew up in the Eastern Cape, 30 minutes from the coast. I still miss the coastal weather. Even after 12 years, I still find Joburg winters too cold, and the summers too hot. But otherwise, I do feel at home here. Couldn't tell you why, probably masochism! ;)

That weather's the thing! Our first winter in Swaziland it started snowing one afternoon. Back then we were the really European folks who half expect giraffes and elephants on every corner and I remember exchanging a stunned look with my mum, along the lines of "Are you sure we took the right airplane getting here?"

Isn't the Internet cool? You can still read Madam and Eve, even though you're (literally) half-a-world away. Aah, back when I were a lad, 'twas impossible, that sorta thing!

Now if only you could do that with biltong....

Maksutov
2007-Aug-29, 10:10 AM
It's all about the benjiwarts.

Man, what an ugly dog! (http://samugliestdog.com/Sam162edited.jpg)

Maksutov
2007-Aug-29, 10:15 AM
[edit]There was an I Love Lucy episode in which Ricky struggled with reading an article aloud that used nearly every common "ough" word in it somewhere.

ToddGood thing "ghoti" wasn't in there. Ricky would probably say something like "Go fish!" (clean 1950s American version).

tdvance
2007-Aug-30, 08:52 PM

Either that, or they think there would be if they didn't use the new anti-counterfeit system.

Todd

tdvance
2007-Aug-30, 08:53 PM
Good thing "ghoti" wasn't in there. Ricky would probably say something like "Go fish!" (clean 1950s American version).

I have this vague memory, that "ghoti" (as "fish") may have come up on that episode, but I'm not sure.

Todd