PDA

View Full Version : Pair Of Planetary Nebula with QHY2 CCD

Galactic2000
2007-Aug-28, 03:14 PM
Hi ALL,

Now that I have got good drivers for the camera,
I can now concentrate on testing out this QHY2 (ICX412 chip upgrade), a 3.3 megapixel cooled Camera....

One thing is for sure the very small 3.45 x 3.45 micron pixels are definitely unforgiving of even the smallest tracking errors, In 2x2 bin mode it is only a B&W camera, color information is lost, but it is more forgiving, ....but in 1x1 mode its an excellent full color 3.3 mega pixel imager.... but again tracking needs to be dead on.

I decide to retrain my PEC drive on my 10" Classic LX200 SCT @ F6.3, using the QHY5 cmos guider camera, as this would do much better than my eyes at guiding out errors during PEC training. I used a 3x barlow lens with the QHY5 attached to a piggbacked 80mm refractor (500mm FL) x 3x barlow for an effective 1500mm FL guide scope.

I trained the PEC and update two more times to guide out most of the periodic error from the Drive..... this help alot!
I never had a problem with tracking before, but then again all my SBIG CCD's ranged from 9 to 27 micron pixels, and did not show these small tiny tracking errors.
After PEC training with the QHY5 + 3x barlow and PHD guiding software, I can now go for 5 minutes unguided with very tight stars, unfortunately I could not expose this long due to the presence of the Nearly Full moon and city lights.
I chose to do 30 second subs for the images to help beat the Ambient Light pollution and Moon light in my backyard in the City of Dayton, Ohio.

Now for the Images here are two planetary nebulae M57 "The Ring Nebula", and NGC6826 "The Blinking Planetary Nebula"
M57 Data
QHY2 (ICX412)
CCDcap, RAW 1x1 bin
30 minutes exposure(using 30 sec subs)
Nebulosity, Dark Calibration, Batch De-mosaic, 60 frames Align and Combine Drizzle Method, Stretched, Saved as Tiif,
Adobe Photoshop, plugins, Gradient XT, and Neat Image, and final color balance.

NGC6826 Data
QHY2 (ICX412)
CCDcap, RAW 1x1 bin
16 minutes exposure(using 30 sec subs)
Nebulosity, Dark Calibration, Batch De-mosaic, 32 frames Align and Combine Drizzle Method, Stretched, Saved as 16 bit Tiff,
Adobe Photoshop, plugins, Gradient XT, and Neat Image, and final color balance.

Please keep in mind that these are only my first tests under Full moonlight and severe Ambient Light Pollution from Dayton, Ohio, I was able to process most of this out, but still have some other Noise/diagnol Hex line issues, due to power supply noise and thermal cooler noise.

My next step will be to see what I can do with the QHY5 as more than a guider or pec trainer.

You can see more on QHY CCD cameras here at http://www.qhyccd.com

JAICOA
2007-Aug-29, 01:47 AM
Very impresive photos with this Ccd camera! Looking forward to see more. Both planetarys looks real good for such a small exposure and in one color shot. Well done and Clear Skies

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-29, 06:23 PM
Love the colors. Can't wait to see what you can do without the light pollution. Thanks for posting!

Kyle Edwards
2007-Aug-30, 12:36 AM
Nice images. Both are sharp and have very good colors.

paul f. campbell
2007-Aug-30, 11:02 AM
Hi John.
Nice photos, great color thanks paul