PDA

View Full Version : 7000 carat diamond

2007-Aug-29, 01:59 AM
South Africa Independent Online: Industry digs deep to find truth behind tale (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20070828041252159C644816)

A Cape Town property developer claims that a whopping 7 000 carat diamond has been unearthed at a mine in the North West province.

But diamond industry insiders say it's "highly unlikely" that the stone, which would be the size of a soccer ball, is for real.

Picture at Washington Post: Mystery Around Claims of Largest Diamond (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/28/AR2007082801318.html)

Whirlpool
2007-Aug-29, 10:23 AM
Wow!

Tog
2007-Aug-29, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure how common knowledge this is, but there are 5 carats to a gram. That makes this diamond 1.4 kg, or a bit over 3 pounds. If it's real. I have a hard time with the idea that the driver taking it to a secured location was able to pull off the road, take it into a building and get a picture of it. I would think there would be way too many armed guards making sure that when that driver stopped or turned that vehicle, it was right when and where he was supposed to.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-29, 10:41 AM
It has very large facets. Unless they wanted huge chunks to use for other purposes, I would assume they'd have cut it in much smaller faccets. edit: oh I assume these are the -alleged- rough crystal structure facets and the diamond is as yet uncut/polished.

mfumbesi
2007-Aug-29, 10:51 AM
This could be a fake/hoax/fabrication/joke/promotion of a movie/real/fabulous find/get rich quick scheme/get poor quick scheme(for the buyer).

Neverfly
2007-Aug-29, 10:53 AM
How long ago was it found?
I find it interesting that the diamond has been cut already.

Tog
2007-Aug-29, 11:01 AM
How long ago was it found?
I find it interesting that the diamond has been cut already.
That's the thing, it supposedly hasn't been. They found it, then took it to a secure location. The driver pulled over to take a pick of the thing with his cell phone on the way to the vault.

If it was real, they wouldn't have cut it before it had been documented. If you make the worlds biggest pie, you don't eat 1/3 of it before the judges arrive. I wondered about that polished look as well, but then, I don't know that I've ever seen real diamonds as they are found other than movies and TV, so I don't feel good about going with that.

Movie promotion, or scam sounds good to me.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-29, 11:11 AM
Yeah, a diamond in the rough looks like a white booger.

If they had JUST UNearthed that thing, it wouldn't have been unearthed pre-cut. Unless an ancient civilization cut it then dropped it there and couldn't find it ( back then they didnt have glasses you know) and it was covered up by time.

And cutting a Very Large diamond is not a quick process. First the diamond is weighed, photographed, measured, photographed and measured some more. Novices don't take part in this. They expertly go over and over it determining how to make the cuts with the least amount of "waste". Almost always during that process- the offspring diamonds are photographed with the parent.

That picture shows a pretty cut up "diamond". The facets are humongous.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-29, 12:03 PM
I've seen pictures of uncut diamonds which had a crystal shape to them, so that aspect is possible. Looking for a pic right now :).

http://www.powow.com/samihossaily/Roughdiamonds.html <= link to pics of rought diamonds.

As you can see, some have a very neat crystal shape already.

Tog
2007-Aug-29, 12:07 PM
I've seen pictures of uncut diamonds which had a crystal shape to them, so that aspect is possible. Looking for a pic right now :).

See, I wasn't sure if diamond could be like quartz where it has a faceted shape to it. I'm pretty sure polished is wrong though. All the ones I've seen on tv that were "raw" looked like rocks. Like if you didn't know what you had, you might dismiss it, but I've also never heard of a green colored one before. intuition tells me it's wrong, but I don't have much to back it up.:)

Nicolas
2007-Aug-29, 12:10 PM
Many colours are possible, also green. Many shapes are possible, from glassy rock to stereotype crystal.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-29, 12:12 PM
Completely colorless diamonds in nature are very rare indeed.
The green tint isnt surprising, albeit- glass tends to look green when big enough...

I'm not saying this is or isn't a diamond.

It is definetly a bit suspicious... Whoever is runniung the show here is handling it poorly.

Nicolas
2007-Aug-29, 12:23 PM
I agree on that. Nothing that shows this is not real, but also a lot of things that are done strange, combined with an extraordinary claim indeed. From the info given, you can't tell whether it is real or not.

Neverfly
2007-Aug-29, 12:30 PM
The only thing that makes me think it is real, is that they even claimed it. Why would these guys do this as a hoax?

With all the publicity they certainly couldn't fence it off on someone ignorant- and even if they DID the ignorant sucker would know who to prosecute for it later.

Tog
2007-Aug-29, 12:49 PM
The only thing that makes me think it is real, is that they even claimed it. Why would these guys do this as a hoax?

With all the publicity they certainly couldn't fence it off on someone ignorant- and even if they DID the ignorant sucker would know who to prosecute for it later.

March 1st, 2009
Subject: Your help needed

A few years ago there was a story that got some press about a 7000 carat diamond. The political situation turned really bad in my area after that and I had to go into hiding with the diamond. I am writing to you because thing are now calm enough for me to make a break for it. I will need some cash to get to Amsterdam, where I can sell the diamond for millions, and will gladly repay you 10 fold for whatever you can send. Bear in mind that I need the equivalent of about 10,000 US dollars to get the papers forged.

Sincerely,
That guy that has the diamond.

Just a thought

Neverfly
2007-Aug-29, 12:54 PM
March 1st, 2009
Subject: Your help needed

A few years ago there was a story that got some press about a 7000 carat diamond. The political situation turned really bad in my area after that and I had to go into hiding with the diamond. I am writing to you because thing are now calm enough for me to make a break for it. I will need some cash to get to Amsterdam, where I can sell the diamond for millions, and will gladly repay you 10 fold for whatever you can send. Bear in mind that I need the equivalent of about 10,000 US dollars to get the papers forged.

Sincerely,
That guy that has the diamond.

Just a thought

<runs to the bank>

Nicolas
2007-Aug-29, 01:05 PM
You forgot to mention you were a banned prince and to insert inconsistent copy paste names to refer to yourself.

mugaliens
2007-Aug-29, 01:19 PM
It certainly doesn't look anywhere near as big as a soccer ball, if if the 7000 carat claim is true (just over 3 lbs), with it's density, it might be as big as a baseball or softball, but that's about it.

And that's about the size it looks next to the cell phone.