PDA

View Full Version : Another Reminder: Aurigid Meteor Shower, September 1st, 2007

Fraser
2007-Aug-31, 10:09 PM
I just wanted to give you all another gentle reminder about the Aurigid Meteor Shower, due to light the heavens on September 1st, 2007. Although the shower won't peak until early tomorrow morning, astrophotographer John Chumack has already captured one on camera, and made a little video of its path through the skies. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/08/31/another-reminder-aurigid-meteor-shower-september-1st-2007/)

nutant gene 71
2007-Sep-01, 12:12 PM
Thanks Fraser for the 'heads up'. I was up from 4:30 AM (PST) looking up into north-eastern sky, patch of clear sky just left of between Orion and Pleiades, looking up with a cup of coffee, and within about 20 minutes saw three good ones, bright short bursts, and multiple tiny flashes. There was a slight haze over the eastern sky, bright moon overhead, down in OC southern California, but well worth it.

Glad John Chumack caught it on film. :) Is that a first?

babsbybend
2007-Sep-01, 12:43 PM
I was out at 4:17 and saw 5 in 5 minutes, and that was it for the next 45 minutes. Dawn started to break, and the stars faded, so here I am, on the computer.... I live in Central Oregon.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Sep-01, 03:35 PM
I was out at 10:30 PM and didn't see any - well, I saw a few strays. I know, it was way too early. I set my alarm for 3:00 AM but just couldn't drag myself out of bed. :sad:

Whirlpool
2007-Sep-01, 04:28 PM
I would love to catch that event, but it seems in my place , its always raining.

:(

alyssa_881210
2007-Sep-01, 05:28 PM
I saw one which was red in colour at about 8:20pm (which means 12:20 GMT)..was that one of the Aurigids? It came from the direction of Mars though. And there were 2 faint ones b4 and after.

I'm from Malaysia btw, wasnt sure the south east asia could catch a glimpse of it or not because they didnt mention anything about Asia, so the few of us went to the beach and waited like idiots =.=
Two of us saw the red one, and we only managed to catch sight of 3 or 4 others. We arent sure whether those are the Aurigids or not.

And I'm still new in this, the very first time i ever went for a 'show' was the Perseids meteor shower this year, and it was really nice considering that there were alot of clouds in the sky.

IdigMF
2007-Sep-01, 06:18 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum.

I saw a total of 13 meteors between 3:35 am and 4:50 am PST from my location in San Jose, CA. The first three were way down low in the SE so I am not sure if they were Aurigids.

Between about 4:10 am and 4:45 am I saw the rest coming the correct area of the sky. Due to the brightness of city lights and the moon, it was tough tell color, however, they left nice long tails.

So much for 200 to 300 per hour, but it was a very nice night to spend outside.

Tom

kauberdi
2007-Sep-03, 01:43 PM
uau, nice news!!! Here in Cabo Verde (west coast africa) we have a clean sky all over the year. Yesterday i saw a strange meteor. it look like fire crossing the sky and it as closer than usual. You talk about comet Aurigids, i don't know if its that but it was sure very cool.

Has we say here, bali, or thanks for sharing!!