PDA

View Full Version : shuttle launch

Larry Barrieau
2007-Sep-02, 12:27 PM
Can I see a shuttle launch from Massachusetts? I'm talking about the light from the launch itself. A person who was giving a talk about space here in town said that he saw the bright light from a shuttle launch from here with the naked eye.

I live in Winchendon, MA. That is in the north central part of the state on the NH border.

I've tried to search this site for an answer here but couldn't find one. Thanks for your help.

Larry

Maksutov
2007-Sep-02, 12:32 PM
No, re the light from the actual takeoff from the pad in Florida. It's well over your horizon and therefore out of view.

But, if it's an ISS mission. the shuttle will typically fly just off the east coast such that you might get a view of the engines before MECO.

How's Mount Monadnock? Still overrun with people? Doesn't the Metacomet trail go through your town? Or at least near it?

Larry Barrieau
2007-Sep-02, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone else seen the rockets from this far up the coast? It was described as spectaular.

Maksutov, I climb Monadnock fairly often to see astronomical events so I will go up for the next night launch. Not many people there at night. The Metacomet goes through Royalston MA, the next town west of us.

mugaliens
2007-Sep-02, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone else seen the rockets from this far up the coast? It was described as spectaular.

I saw the very upper trail of one from Myrtle Beach, NC, once. Wasn't much to see, as it looked mostly like a low contrail.

Maksutov
2007-Sep-02, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone else seen the rockets from this far up the coast? It was described as spectaular.All I saw while living in my native Connecticut was the shuttle in orbit after the launch sequence.
Maksutov, I climb Monadnock fairly often to see astronomical events so I will go up for the next night launch. Not many people there at night. The Metacomet goes through Royalston MA, the next town west of us.The first time I climbed it, back in February 1964, I thought "What a great place for an observatory!" Used to hike the Metacomet in Connecticut and in the Mt. Tom/Holyoke areas of MA.

BTW, pardon me, welcome to the BAUT! Good to see another New Englander here.

Check out the FAQs (the rules are well-enforced, keeping this place quite civil), and have fun!

JustAFriend
2007-Sep-03, 01:04 AM
I live near West Palm Beach, only 100 miles from the Cape.

I can easily see the solids up through separation, but that usually cuts about 20 degrees above the horizon and I'm only 100 miles away.

So your buddy probably saw an airplane or other bright light in the sky, not the shuttle....