PDA

View Full Version : THE BOOK YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

ljbrs
2002-Mar-02, 01:12 AM
*Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions* by Phil Plait is now being shipped to me by Amazon.com. When I receive my copy (soon, as promised by e-mail tonight), I will gloat and smirk about it (in writing, of course). I will not tell you anything much about Phil Plait's book, because if you want to know, you should get a copy yourself, or wait (almost forever) until your local public library has a copy.

I have not received it yet, but SKEPTIC magazine (Vol. 9 No. 2) gave it a great (RAVE) review! Obviously, some lucky, lucky people have already read it.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Whee!

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-02, 09:53 AM
On 2002-03-01 20:12, ljbrs wrote:
When I receive my copy (soon, as promised by e-mail tonight), I will gloat and smirk about it (in writing, of course).

You and dozens others. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Moderator, I think this thread is in the wrong forum (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=9&44).

<font size=-1>[Fixed url]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-03-02 04:54 ]</font>

ljbrs
2002-Mar-07, 12:47 AM
Well, I have Bad Astronomer now!!!

Bad Astronomer Phil Plait: start writing your next book right this instant!!! Hear???

I am going to read this one very, very slowly. I do not like to get to the end of wonderful books. However, I can simply open it up and read it again.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

SiriMurthy
2002-Mar-22, 03:02 PM

SiriMurthy
2002-Mar-22, 03:06 PM
Ooops, sorry. I hit return key too soon.

Hey, BA, I have already bought your book for my 10 year old daughter. She wants to be an astronomer when she grows up. I have bought her quite a few books on star gazing, planets and astronomy in general.

I want you to put your autograph on your book with a few encouraging words for her. Will you do it for me, if I mail the book to you, with return postage paid, of course. If so, please let me know of your contact address. It would be an honour to have your book personally signed by you. You can mail me your contact information to sirimurthy@yahoo.com

Thanks much.

johnwitts
2002-Mar-22, 11:25 PM
That goes for me too. I'd make do with a personal 'signed' scan so that I could just glue it in the front of the book. My E-mail is johnwitts@hotmail.com
I'm sure you must now have plenty of spare time on your hands to do this sort of thing now that the book is finished!

Simon
2002-Mar-23, 04:10 PM
Got The Book today. Sat down for five hours and read the book, despite my family's entreties to come out of my room and actually do something. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I particularly like the Velikovsky argument, and on page...... 199, when you point out that the creationist argument for supernova remenants shoots itself in the foot. With a very very large gun. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I'm not sure if I want to bug, cajole, or hold you hostage for an autograph, but I still want to say: You go BA!!!

ljbrs
2002-Mar-24, 06:06 PM
I am enjoying reading it slowly. I always hate to finish a good book like this. While one knows the answers, the reasons for these answers are carefully crafted by BadBad Dr. Phil Plait and show new ideas about old mistakes in astronomy. It is not your usual book with answers to questions. This one gives answers to related questions about each topic which you might not have thought to ask in the first place.

Love it! Love it!

I have been showing it to all of my astronomy friends whenever we are involved in a shared event.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ljbrs
2002-Apr-27, 11:18 PM
Well, now I have seven BAD ASTRONOMY books, six of which I will distribute to some of my closest astronomy friends. Originally I had planned to keep one of the six copies for myself to take the place of my now dog-eared (seventh) copy, but I have changed my mind. Now one more friend will have a book. I left the books in the trunk of my car to be ready for immediate distribution.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ljbrs
2002-Jul-09, 02:57 AM
Six more copies of *Bad Astronomy* have finally arrived at a nearby Borders and are ready for me to pick up and distribute. My astronomy friends all want a copy, but I have told them to redistribute the copies to other members of my wonderful club. It is a great book and nobody should go another day without a copy!

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Wiley
2002-Jul-09, 03:47 PM
ljbrs,

I certainly hope the BA is giving you a nice kick back. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ljbrs
2002-Jul-13, 02:19 AM
Wiley:

ljbrs,

I certainly hope the BA is giving you a nice kick back.

No, when I like a book, I buy copies for my physics-loving astronomy friends. These are the folks who regularly attend physics lectures as well as attend my wonderful astronomy club meetings. Great folks!

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Jetmech0417
2003-Jan-17, 12:34 PM
Wow...I wish I were in ljbrs' astronomy club. Then I'd have gotten a great book at a reasonable price. (Free, that is.) Unless, of course, ljbrs charges for his "donations". *S* Just kidding, BA. I love the book, and 15 bucks was a small price to pay. Too bad B&N doesn't do a military discount, though.... Maybe I should email 'em...

GrapesOfWrath
2003-Jan-17, 01:09 PM
On 2003-01-17 07:34, Jetmech0417 wrote:
Unless, of course, ljbrs charges for his "donations".
Her, idnit.

Thumper
2003-Jan-29, 02:15 PM
After I bought and read my copy, I ordered 6 more and gave them out to family and friends as Christmas (Holiday) gifts. So far, everybody likes them.

It is a book that I believe everybody should read.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Mar-01, 11:38 PM
I finally got around to buying a copy, now I don't have to feel like a deadbeat browsing my favoite bulletin board.

Best line so far: "... the pack of weirdos who frequent the Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board..." page 263. (Yes I'm one of those oddballs who like to read the introductions and acknowledgements and various errata first.)
Oh the pride I feel at being one of those weirdos!