PDA

View Full Version : Special Episode: Panspermia

Fraser
2007-Sep-04, 03:00 PM
As a reward to the all the dedicated fans who completed our demographic survey, we released this special episode of Astronomy Cast. As promised, we're now releasing this episode to all of our subscribers. Panspermia is a controversial theory that life on Earth originated... out there. Maybe it started out in a cosmic dust cloud or originated from another planet, but somehow the very first lifeforms made the trip through the vacuum of space and colonized our home planet.

Special Episode: Panspermia (11.1MB) (http://media.libsyn.com/media/astronomycast/AstroCast-070904.mp3)
Read the full blog entry (http://www.astronomycast.com/astrobiology/special-episode-panspermia/)

markok
2007-Sep-04, 10:00 PM
Panspermia: Physeters from outer space.

Lizzy van Oranje
2007-Sep-28, 02:19 PM
I really liked the Panspermia-episode but I'm quite sure the Japanese scientists used nucleotides (and no aminoacids!) to introduce "E=mc2" in a bacterial genome.
Aminoacids are the buildingblocks of proteins. DNA consists of nucleotides.

Maddad
2010-Feb-14, 01:18 PM
I have two questions. One is the title of the episode early on. Fraser spoke fast enough that it was hard to pick up. This was the section:

If you somehow got this episode and you didnít fill out that form, please go back, find it, and fill it out so that we can gather that additional information. Thereís a link to the form on our homepage so thatís how you can access it for now.

All right. Launching a Reward.

Evidence is clear that all life on Earth is connected at a genetic level. Everything is related. Now you might not want to admit, but you and every other form of life on Earth share a common ancestor right back to that first little critter that got everything started. But the question is, did life start here on Earth, or did it arrive from space. Are we all aliens?Is Launching a Reward correct?

Later Pamela mentions a name that I have been unable verify with Google.

Pamela: Thereís been simulations to do that, to try and figure out well, what is the probability. The person doing the work is Jamie Loche. He did what is called a Monte Carlo Simulation. This basically where you tell your computer try everything. And you define everything mathematically. Try all the values from this to this. Try all the speeds from this to this. And see if you can get a rock from, say the planet Earth, out into the solar system, and then to leave the solar system. He ran the simulation over 4.6 billion years, and over 4.6 billion years only one or two chunks of rock managed to escape our solar system. Itís not a zero probability, but itís pretty close to zero.Is Jamie Loche the right name? Once these two questions are answered, my transcript will be complete.

aastrotech
2010-Feb-14, 04:39 PM
I think it would have been fairer if they had not utterly glossed over the facts/assumtions that were put in the "Monte Carlo" calculation. Likewise magnifying the infinitesimly remote chance of escaping life being stopped by impact with Ort cloud objects into "fantasyland" that objects could pass through at all.