PDA

View Full Version : Podcast: Panspermia

Fraser
2007-Sep-04, 06:10 PM
As a reward to the all the dedicated fans who completed our demographic survey, we released this special episode of Astronomy Cast. As promised, we're now releasing this episode to all of our subscribers. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/09/04/podcast-panspermia/)

Procyan
2007-Sep-05, 12:06 AM
In 1972 my science teacher said that panspermia was a cockamamy idea of Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe; just a lot of happy dust. Maybe, but its got staying power. I guess lots of people have thought about the possibility, but isn't this one easily testable?

Why not hang some filters outside the ISS to detect the flux, if there is any, of live microbes? It would be useful to know of any space-borne critters regardless of their origin. Has that been done yet? What about Stardust, did/could they check for bugs?

One wrinkle since Voyagers and others, there are lots of icy bodies large enough to have hot interiors, either from tidal or nuclear mechanisms. So somewheres between the extreme temperatures are rather large subterranean/submarine habitable zones where regular good old fashioned water-based life could take root (betwixt a rock and wet spot? :think:).

But getting them from there to here? I don't know. Like Fraser said, "We go into space, we start dying right away."

Procyan
2007-Sep-05, 01:03 AM
Oops, my better half just corrected that date, I guess it was late 70's when they first published their Panspermatic theories.