PDA

View Full Version : Star system generators

Breyyne
2007-Sep-05, 02:19 AM
Back in the days of Dos there was a program called Gravity, that fairly accurate simulated a multiple stellar body system. It was fairly limit and 2D.
My question is whether or not there is fairly accurate 3d, or faux 3d, Stellar system generator that allows for possibilities such as Binary, Trinary or higher star systems and mega structures such as ringworlds or Halo like structures.

I am intrigued by stellar possibilities but lack the Mathematical understanding to attempt to create my own program. Can anyone help?

EDG
2007-Sep-05, 03:39 AM
There's Gravity Simulator (http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/what.html) - though you have to enter your own parameters, it's pretty darn accurate and very powerful if you get the hang of how to use it (the interface could do with some improvement IMO, but it's usable).

Breyyne
2007-Sep-05, 04:45 AM
Thanks EDG,
Looks nice, But I think it might take me quite some time to figure out what I'm doing with it. And it doesn't even have a random system, those are always to play with.

mugaliens
2007-Sep-05, 08:42 PM
I tried the gravity simulator. When I added a black hole of 15 solar masses, it hung and I got a runtime error (6, I think).

EDG
2007-Sep-08, 01:29 AM
Did you set the radius to zero or something? IF so try setting it to something really small instead.

If you think you've found a bug, it's always best to describe EXACTLY what you set so it can be replicated :). Tony frequents these forums so maybe he can help if you clarify...

tony873004
2007-Sep-08, 06:41 PM
...Tony frequents these forums so maybe he can help if you clarify...

The runtime 6 error is a tough one to find. I can't seem to duplicate it. But it doesn't happen that often. Just start over, and it'll probably work for you the 2nd time around. If you can duplicate the error, drop me a pm and tell me what you're doing. Maybe you can help me nail this one. Also, you might try the beta version available on my webforum: http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1176774875

@Breyyne, sorry, no ringworlds or halo structures, but binary, trinary and beyond are very possible. You can randomly generate systems with one primary star, and as many smaller masses as you like, but this method does not work for multiple star systems as it assumes all the secondary masses are insignificant.

But there are ways to work around this, but they involve a little math. See frankuitaalst's thread "Chasing Suns" for examples of figure-8 trinary systems and more. And if you have difficulty setting up a system, you can always post your proposed system, and I'll help you create it.