PDA

View Full Version : BABB militia....

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 02:34 AM
I am statring the BABB militia.

I am a Member.
Colt too.
Anyone else can join.

The idea of the militia is to go searching for missing members (or at least pretend to), to fight the forces of Evil, and to further our plans for world domination. Not necesarily in that order.

Our flag will be the BABB.

We can organize together to inform others of upcoming meeting of members and of debates for the BA and evil agents of the other side.

We will formulate plans for if a member encounters a hoaxer or a agent of the evil forces of Earth and beyond.

We will make up informative handy to carry lists of what to do if Bart Sibrel jumps out of the bushes at you or if Nancy Leider phones you. You will know what to do if you encounter the Dark lord in McDonalds, or Hoagland on Mars. Just keep calm, and do not worry, a militia member will be only an e-mail away!

Now this is not official, but i do not think the BA will mind if we don't do anything but inform.

:D

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-13, 02:36 AM
They also serve, who stand and wait

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 02:40 AM
Is there a training camp or anything? How about reserves? I'll be a BABB militia reservist. :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 02:42 AM
Is there a training camp or anything? How about reserves? I'll be a BABB militia reservist. :D

No need for the reserves. But when we take over the world, you can have a state.

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 02:44 AM
I changed my mind, I want in all the way! How do I advance through the ranks? Seriously though, I like the idea, and anything you need me to do (or try to do), just let me know.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 02:47 AM
Well when Colt comes back i will discuss it with him firther and we can make something up.

I really like the idea of printable "things to do is...." cards.

Anyone who joins can contribute. You can contribute anything from a sentance to half of the material. Heck, you can join and do nuthing.

Once we have a template up for the printable cards, i will link to it and we can make up some interesting ones.

It might take a few days.

Hey if they are really good, the BA might carry a few and hand them out to people. :-)

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 03:11 AM
Well, I have photoshop and Lightwave, and while I'm no WolfKC (yet!), I can do some ...stuff.. with em!

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 03:15 AM
:-)

Glom
2003-Jul-13, 04:16 AM
Do we have to call it the BABB militia? Can't we call it Great Alliance of BABB? It has a much more grand tone to it and makes us sound like honourable warriors rather than rag tag anarchists.

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-13, 04:21 AM
GABABB? :roll:

I think I'm going to Gagagg! :-&

ocasey3
2003-Jul-13, 07:52 AM
Oooh, ooh, ooh, Mr. Kotter!!! If I join can I have Michigan, both peninsula's??? :D

QuagmaPhage
2003-Jul-13, 09:27 AM
I had a Red Dwarf inspired proposal but it could be considered improper. ocasey3 thougt so and I have deleted it.
Anyway the BABB militia sounds too militant, and I think the concept needs more work.

ocasey3
2003-Jul-13, 09:33 AM
Dude, OMG, sure you want to keep that?? :o :oops:

Vermonter
2003-Jul-13, 12:18 PM
BABB Brute Squad.

"You're strong."
"I was on the Brute Squad."
"You ARE the Brute Squad!"

Extra points if anyone tells me the name of the movie and who the characters are! 8)

nebularain
2003-Jul-13, 04:19 PM
The Princess Bride! :D

The conversation was between Miracle Max played by Billy Crystal, IIRC, and Fezig(?) played by Andre the Giant.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-13, 05:15 PM
Sign me up!

Vermonter
2003-Jul-13, 05:24 PM
Gold Star for NebulaRain!

I think it was Fezzik, or something like that. Still a cool character!

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 05:58 PM
Hah! I just watched Princess Bride yesterday! "Inconcievable!"

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-13, 06:01 PM
I think the Militia needs a motto. (And a good name) Make suggestions here and then we'll start a poll so we can vote for the one we want.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 06:15 PM
O.K. so new name. :-)

We will also need help from all members to decide the "Top ten things to do if...." for each card.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 06:18 PM
Oooh, ooh, ooh, Mr. Kotter!!! If I join can I have Michigan, both peninsula's??? :D

I am not mr. Kotter! :evil: And for that you only get one peninsula. :wink:

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 06:18 PM
"Fighting psuedo-science worldwide!"

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 06:20 PM
Ah Humphrey, give him both, no one else is gonna want 'em anyway! :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 06:32 PM
Ah Humphrey, give him both, no one else is gonna want 'em anyway! :D

Only if he takes back the Mr. Kotter reference (i didn't like that show) and says "I am sorry my Master" at least once. Then he can have both back.

Musashi
2003-Jul-13, 06:34 PM
That sounds reasonable to me.. :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 07:05 PM
Well i worked for about 10 min and banged out an example of what i am talking about.

Now this is nowhere near a final product since i used the BA logo without specific permission from the BA and did not finalize the name or anything. Just an example.

Example (http://plaza.ufl.edu/sandler/images/batemplate.jpg). (it should be the size of a buisness card in the final version.)

Now it could be numbers, or just bullet points.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-13, 07:34 PM
I can do the cards if you want. I can even do a nifty membership certificate. I just need the final name and, well, content.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 07:55 PM
If you wan't to, that would be great! :-) We can help of course.

Now all we need is to comunally decide on what the top ten in each will be.

So how about this: Everyone who wants to participate pick your top ten points from this subject and the most common ones will be considered in the top ten. This is just for now. We can streamline the process later on.

Sibrel jumps out of the bushes at you... (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5741)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 07:59 PM
For a name: how about "BABB guild"?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-13, 08:13 PM
BABB Syndicate

BABB Coalition

Or, in keeping with the BABB's intellectual theme: BABB Fraternity

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 08:35 PM
The problem with fraternity is that there are many women on this board. And unless i am mistaken Fraternities are male oriented.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Jul-13, 09:21 PM
Hah! I just watched Princess Bride yesterday! "Inconcievable!"
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-13, 09:34 PM
The problem with fraternity is that there are many women on this board. And unless i am mistaken Fraternities are male oriented.

Hmmm... good point. Forgot about that. :oops:

Humphrey
2003-Jul-13, 09:52 PM

Hmmm... good point. Forgot about that. :oops:

No problem, if you have never been in contact with one you would not know.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-13, 10:29 PM
Hey, are you implying something? 'Cause if you are... :D

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Jul-14, 12:12 AM
Not to be a wet blanket or anything (OK, yes, I am exactly being a wet blanket), and I understand this is all in fun, but I would really prefer that this site not be included in this endeavor. Especially if you actually do print up cards.

I know that there is a community built up here. I think that's great, and surprising, given that it's not why I started this site or the board, nor was it expected even when things did get rolling.

But in the end, the responsibility for this website is mine, and mine alone. I decided on this a while back, and it wasn't an easy decision; many people want to submit pages, or moderate the board. But I will be honest and say that I want the content of this site to remain mine; while I encourage people to speak their minds here on the BABB, for example, I don't want anyone else's voice on the main website. For one thing, I would have to edit someone else's work, which I have little desire to do, and for another I would have to edit the work for style as well as content, which I have zero desire to do.

The BABB is a bit different, since people want to post their own opinions here. Again, I encourage that. I don't want moderators because I want the final decision on board admin to be mine. Multiple moderators means multiple opinions on what is relevant and what isn't, and I want a single, consistent voice.

But that must be extrapolated out into the real world on occasion as well. If people go from this board to another and start rabble rousing (think Babel magazine, or GodLikeProductions) then it makes me look bad. I also then have to go around cleaning up after things, which I really dislike.

Again, to be clear, I love the community here, and I love the way people here express themselves, as long as it stays here. Once people start using my name, my site's name, or the BABB's, I become liable for what goes on, at least in other peoples' minds.

So this thread is fine as long as it stays here. But as soon as some physical product is made or is being seriously considered, I really have to come in and ask that it not be done.

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-14, 02:16 AM
Well put BA. =D>

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 02:18 AM
I didn't really consider your side of it BA, sorry. :oops: I'll have to be a bit more careful in the future.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 02:22 AM
I didn't really consider your side of it BA, sorry. :oops: I'll have to be a bit more careful in the future.

Ditto, sorry BA. :(

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 05:12 AM
OK, I will not take the Mr. Kotter reference back just because you are too young to have known how great that show was at the time. [-( :D And, because you gentleman have obviously not been paying attention [-X , I get both peninsula's anyway \:D/ . I am not a he, never been, never will be. :roll: 8)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 05:14 AM
Blame Musashi for that one... BAD MUSASHI!!! :P

Musashi
2003-Jul-14, 05:37 AM
My humblest (sp!) apologies ocasey3, I have fallen victim to my own carelessness. :oops:

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 05:54 AM
yah sorry ocasey. She it is!! :-)

I pm'ed the BA asking if we could continue without nameing anything about the BA or BABB, and making up our own name. I will see what he says.

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 06:00 AM
Apology accepted. :D Remember, one must never assume! I did that once myself. #-o

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 06:01 AM
I assumed that everyone does at one point or another. Just goes to show... :)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 06:04 AM
ocasey, if you have not already, you might want to post at the user Gender I category. :-)

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 06:15 AM
I did that a while ago. I think the list needs to be updated.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 06:30 AM
must of missed it, sorry. :-(

ocasey3
2003-Jul-14, 06:39 AM
Dangnabbit, my apologies this time, it appears that I specified my gender in the age thread. I think I missed the other thread. I might go back to signing my name. :-k

freddo
2003-Jul-14, 07:37 AM
I think the Militia needs a motto. (And a good name) Make suggestions here and then we'll start a poll so we can vote for the one we want.

I am surprise humphrey has not suggested the motto:

GIYUL.

or maybe that should be:

HIYUL.

???
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 07:38 AM
UUGH! Too late (early?) to think about what that means. 3:38 am!

Humphrey
2003-Jul-14, 07:43 AM
:-) freddo.

That would be a personal taste for the motto. I would like it to be one for all people, rebell or minion.

I guess it is HIYUL now, but i like my current sig for now. Maybe later.

(Canuck: GIYUL=G99 Is Your Unquestioned Leader.)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-14, 07:44 AM
Ah ha! Of course! I'm just a little foggy with fatigue...

Humphrey
2003-Jul-15, 08:00 PM
O.K> well i pm'ed the BA and he said we can continue this as long as we do not mention BABB, him, or his site. It will be entirely our invention with our own made up name, but cannot have affiliation to here execpt we happen to all visit here.

I still love the idea. Anyone else want to help?

So right now i think the best way is to list your top ten from:

Sibrel jumps out of the bushes at you... (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5741)

For those of you who forgot. It will be printable cards that list things to do in a certain situation. It will be sort of a parodt of course.

Like "Top then things to do if you run into Nancy..."

So along with the content. We need a cute graphic and a name. Any suggestions?

How about "Debunking Guild". :-)

xbck1
2003-Jul-15, 09:02 PM
I can do the logo and stuff, if that helps.

I also have a website that we can use.

mickal555
2005-Jan-09, 02:46 PM
Why oh why did this thread die

Can we start it up again... it sounds so cool

I also have a web-site and I'd be thrilled if it could be used.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-10, 04:22 AM
Well, the first order of business would be to send the BABB Militia out after its founder, Humphrey, MIA since December 23, 2004.

Sever
2005-Jan-10, 04:31 AM
Well, the first order of business would be to send the BABB Militia out after its founder, Humphrey, MIA since December 23, 2004.

Me thinks he's on a vacation.

mickal555
2005-Jan-10, 04:33 AM

Me thinks he's on a vacation.
Noooo
we can start with out him
make it a surprise :D

Musashi
2005-Jan-10, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I saw him at another board yesterday, so he is still around. :)

mike alexander
2005-Jan-10, 05:16 AM
Unfortunately, he is now married. It's militia vs. Rachel, and Rachel is much prettier than the militia on average

( I said on AVERAGE, Candy!) :wink:

Candy
2005-Jan-10, 05:30 AM
Unfortunately, he is now married. It's militia vs. Rachel, and Rachel is much prettier than the militia on average

Flattery will get you everywhere. :wink:

Maksutov
2005-Jan-10, 05:40 AM

Plus the militia, even if well-armed, wouldn't wield as much power as Rachel. :wink:

mickal555
2005-Jan-10, 05:51 AM
mabie we should have "what to say to your significant other if they think your passin strange and/or twhy you are making up cards" or somthing

mickal555
2005-Jan-10, 06:03 AM
I'm sick of clubs fizzling this can and will happen! I'm starting a padge if no one has any copywright?

mickal555
2005-Jan-10, 06:14 AM
Ok do we need a name or is "dubunking guide" (from humph) fine
I can make a back ground like the Bastronomy logo douse any one have any ideas for a backgrond pic?

Ut
2005-Jan-10, 09:28 AM

Flattery will get you everywhere. :wink:

Ol' Humph when off and got married just about the same time I showed up here, so I know precious little about her... But the one thing that has been passed down through the legends is that THIS is something I want to stay oh so very far away from...

mickal555
2005-Jan-10, 10:51 AM
Ok douse any one have an idea for a name I'm going to go with dubunking guide untill its changed. I think we need somthing more quirky like BABBling or somthing. The BA said he is uncomfortable with us discussing this here so I'll make a new forum on my forums( I dunno what to call it)(I'll give members special ranks mayby) to discuss ideas if you like?

mickal555
2005-Jan-10, 12:37 PM
ohh and we can all have badges but you have to sign up to different "disinfo" groups ie moon hoax, planet X, mars, media etc...

Normandy6644
2005-Jan-11, 01:25 AM
But the one thing that has been passed down through the legends is that THIS is something I want to stay oh so very far away from...

I think that's the case for pretty much any mob that Humphrey starts. :D

Colt
2005-Jan-11, 05:39 AM
Yes, good idea. I'm armed to the teeth and Humphrey is my comrade. You insult the lady, you die. I was the co-founder of this little thing if I recall... It says my name in the first post. :P - Colt