PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hoagland commemorated - sort of

ngc3314
2007-Sep-09, 10:08 PM
While browsing an online dealer's pages hoping to update my spotty collection of space stamps, I was struck to see a stamp commemorating Richard Hoagland! This is from Antigua and Barbuda, noted for augmenting their postal revenue by producing stamps intended more for worldwide collectors than for postal use. This doesn't bother me too much once I see that it's part of "A Philatelic Look at Science Fiction", except that he appears in the company of Arthur C. Clarke on a companion issue. Image attached per my understanding of copyright law which allows reproduction of postage stamps in formats which cannot be mistaken for the original...

Maksutov
2007-Sep-09, 11:59 PM
I bet if you use that stamp, then, upon delivery, the person who receives the mail has to pay the carrier $6.

Here's my suggestion for the graphic on an RCH commemorative stamp:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6836/trashug0.th.gif (http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trashug0.gif)

tbm
2007-Sep-10, 12:25 AM
I wonder if Hoagland has given his

Stamp of approval

to this.

Alan G. Archer
2007-Sep-10, 12:56 AM
I wonder if Hoagland has given his

Stamp of approval

to this.

Or Seti the First...

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Sep-10, 01:33 AM
Maybe now everyone can give Hoagland a licking.

Tog
2007-Sep-10, 03:46 AM
Maybe now everyone can give Hoagland a licking.

Nah, most would spit on the wrong side. It wouldn't stick.

gwiz
2007-Sep-10, 01:24 PM
I wonder how Hoagland feels about his theories being featured on a stamp in the science fiction series?

Serenitude
2007-Sep-10, 01:35 PM
My understanding is that because of the uber-nature of Hyperdimensional Physics, if you mail a letter using a Hoaglund stamp, it will arrive to the recipient before you even mail it, with a duplicate letter appearing on the surface of Mars.

Nicolas
2007-Sep-10, 03:57 PM
Chances are however that the recipient will read things in your letter that aren't there...

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-10, 07:34 PM
I love the fact that no mater what meaning you use, "seti" still means something cool. The scary thing is that Hoaxland wears his beard kind of like my dad. Except that it looks uglier on him.
You know you're a BAUTer when Hoagy comes to your door and you call the cops.
Edited: (Not that he did!)

tbm
2007-Sep-11, 12:39 AM
I love the fact that no mater what meaning you use, "seti" still means something cool. The scary thing is that Hoaxland wears his beard kind of like my dad. Except that it looks uglier on him.
You know you're a BAUTer when Hoagy comes to your door and you call the cops.
Edited: (Not that he did!)

Hmm, now that you mention the beard thing, Theodore Kaczynski (the Unibomber) bears a resemblance to RCH.

Hmmmmmmm........

tbm

Serenitude
2007-Sep-11, 02:05 AM
Okay, folks. RH is a crakcpot, and I'm all for a good laugh. But let's not compare him, or his works, to the character of, or loss caused by, the Unibomber. The line here is grey, but that jumps way across it. Let's tone it down a little ;)

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-11, 07:40 PM
Hey, tbm, I know you're not saying my dad is...
George Lucas also looks a bit like that. From a few stories that I've heard, RCH is a lot like Vader, so that kind of fits.
That kind of beat me to the punchline of my joke:
You know you're a psycho BAUTer when Hoagy comes to your door and in five minutes you need to call the hospital...

Lemerde
2007-Sep-11, 07:49 PM
Okay, folks. RH is a crakcpot, and I'm all for a good laugh. But let's not compare him, or his works, to the character of, or loss caused by, the Unibomber. The line here is grey, but that jumps way across it. Let's tone it down a little ;)

Serenitude is right. This comparison is insulting and grossly offensive. The responsible parties should apologize to Ted Kaczynski immediately.

Serenitude
2007-Sep-11, 07:55 PM
Lemerde - you're new, so I'm going to cut you some slack. In the future, you'll do well to heed moderator warnings ;) Please visit the ABOUTBaut forum and read the rules for posting there. Your next crack in this vein will earn you a suspension.

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-11, 10:01 PM
Serenitude is right. This comparison is insulting and grossly offensive. The responsible parties should apologize to Ted Kaczynski immediately.

Not to mention my dad!
(Note: I do not agree with what Lemerde said)

tbm
2007-Sep-13, 03:01 AM

My apologies. I meant no inference that RCH was dangerous. I was only thinking of the passing resemblance.

tbm

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-13, 02:25 PM
Appology accepted, tbm. If I hypothetically could prove that people have mistreated my dad because he looks like RCH, then could I hypothetically sue? And hypothetically make him shave?