PDA

View Full Version : This new chitchat forum

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Jul-14, 12:48 AM
Folks-

After locking several threads in the Bad Bad Astronomy forum, I decided it was time to try this new one. Obviously, there is a sense of community here, and people want to talk to each other.

I encourage this, and hope it means there will be support for everyone when it is needed.

However, this is a test forum. I really don't want this to turn into a place where people argue about religion, politics, or the like. I know that may seem like censorship, but I also know that I cannot spend 24 hours a day monitoring this board! If things like that pop up, tempers inevitably flare, and the situation deteriorates rapidly. Perhaps this is part of being a community, and it cannot be prevented. It does seem to occur on every board where a "banter" section is opened. We'll see. I won't disallow anything out-of-hand, but if sticky topics arise, I'll watch over them as I can. If things become chaos, then I'll remove the forum.

Call this a social experiment on a medium scale. Smaller than a town, but bigger than, say, a kibbutz (given the number of people who post here). I would prefer that we govern ourselves here: if things get out of hand, first try to resolve them by yourself. If that doesn't work, PM me (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1).

Hopefully, this will vent some steam, versus letting it build up.

So: have at it. Enjoy!