PDA

View Full Version : Viel Nebula NGC6960 with Canon DSLR

Galactic2000
2007-Sep-11, 08:38 PM
Hi All,

Here is a test shot of the Viel Nebula near bright star 52 Cygni, captured from Yellow Springs, Ohio, using my little 5.5" F4.5 Vixen reflector and an unmodified Canon 10D DSLR for a 28 minute exposure.

It is also known as the Witches Broom, as the right side of the nebula seems to break out into bristles, like a sweeping broom. There is a lot more Blue Nebulosity than Red visible in this section of the Viel, although this may be due to my original factory IR blocking filter blocking the HA end of the spectrum. I'll have to try it with my Modified 20D next to see how much of a difference there is.

Visually it is a lovely site in a telescope...but you need to put 52 Cygni just outside the edge of the field to view the fainter sections of it.

For a first test it is not too bad...
I really need a 1 1/4" coma corrector that will reach focus with this little 5.5" RS135 Vixen scope, From what I understand is that Vixen use to make one for it, just can't seem to find one for it anywhere.

AutoClub
2007-Sep-11, 09:45 PM
...the Viel Nebula near bright star 52 Cygni, captured from Yellow Springs, Ohio, using my little 5.5" F4.5 Vixen reflector and an unmodified Canon 10D DSLR for a 28 minute exposure.

...There is a lot more Blue Nebulosity than Red visible in this section of the Viel, although this may be due to my original factory IR blocking filter blocking the HA end of the spectrum.

Hi John - great image! I've got an unmodded 10D as well as an unmodded 20D. How did you get 28 minutes from a 10D without amplifier glow? Or did you take a bunch of subs and add them together?

I found on my cameras that they are very weak in the blue end of the spectrum. I tried a series of shots of M20 and M8 last Saturday night from Saddleback Butte, about 20 miles east of Lancaster/Palmdale, California doing one minute subs prime focus behind a Meade Series 5000 80mm APO refractor, and the red portion of both nebulae seemed easier to "pull out" of the image than the blue portion of M20. I'm using Deep Sky Stacker, which I love. I plan to post 4 or 5 images that I took this last weekend, in another post.

Once again, great shot! Thanks for posting it!

Clear skies!

Paul

Galactic2000
2007-Sep-11, 11:41 PM
Hi John - great image! I've got an unmodded 10D as well as an unmodded 20D. How did you get 28 minutes from a 10D without amplifier glow? Or did you take a bunch of subs and add them together?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes,
There were 7 subs at 4 minutes each, 4 minute subs is about my limit due to light pollution from my area. I've never have seen this amplifier glow you spoke of, but then again, I've never really exposed the unmodified 10D longer than 10 minutes anyway. My factory 10D seems to be really blue sensitive, but seems a bit poor on the red end, the red nebulae do not show up easily.

All 7 sub images were Stacked in Nebulosity, Streched in Maxim DL, and final processed in Adobe PS.

JAICOA
2007-Sep-12, 01:24 PM
A Very beautiful photo Paul, Even with such a small scope it came out great a very good reflector even with 52 cygni being so bright it came out very good. I started a session on it and that star is a killer for me i get star blooming in which is a pain to remove.

tvdavis
2007-Sep-12, 01:54 PM
Nice image John. It amazes me what DSLRs can do.

Tom

Torsten
2007-Sep-13, 03:13 AM
That is a nice image. DSLR. . . wow.

Whirlpool
2007-Sep-13, 04:33 AM
Well.. Canon DSLRs are great.

That is wonderfully taken John.

Thanks for sharing.

;)