PDA

View Full Version : The Global Warming Conspiracy

Kevn
2007-Sep-14, 03:55 PM
I point you all (and especially you Phil) to this Blog by a local meteorologist in my area...

http://blogs.woodtv.com/?cat=11

He got his degree decades ago, so he's really old school, and from all reports is not very computer savvy. But he has great "telepresence" and the local viewers like, respect, and trust him.

That's the problem.

He uses his "official blog" on his television station's website to dispute global warming. He does nothing else but that. And everyone who reads his posts believe them completely.

And the worst part? He's a Christian Fundamentalist.

He is so entrenched in his own personal (and party line) dogma that he will not listen to dissenting opinions.

I just thought the august people here would like to take this fool on.

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-14, 04:33 PM
That is the worst usurping of the word "telepresence" that I have ever heard. Tell him that real telepresence is the satelite feedback system created by Dr. Robert Ballard in the 1980's for sharing the experience of deep-sea exploration live via computers.
No, wait, first ask if he knows who Robert Ballard is.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Sep-14, 05:46 PM
He got his degree decades ago, so he's really old school, and from all reports is not very computer savvy. But he has great "telepresence" and the local viewers like, respect, and trust him.

He is so entrenched in his own personal (and party line) dogma that he will not listen to dissenting opinions.Sounds like a hopeless case. I would waste no time with him.

andyschlei
2007-Sep-14, 09:20 PM
I don't know, a quick read shows the sight to be fairly fact based (at least presented that way). The insistence on "concensus" in the discussion of global warming is the biggest obstacle to making real progress in dealing with it. Science is facts, not concensus.

I will admit that I am not qualified to evaluate the facts on his site -- just that they seem to be reasonably presented and not tendentious.

I also did not see where his religous beliefs fell into what he presented on his blog.

captain swoop
2007-Sep-14, 10:20 PM
whats the space/astronomy angle here?

Fortunate
2007-Sep-14, 10:39 PM
The insistence on "concensus" in the discussion of global warming is the biggest obstacle to making real progress in dealing with it. Science is facts, not concensus.

My point of view is that I run a business and have a very full life. I am not about to take trips out into the ocean taking scientific measurements, nor am I about to spend months or years studying climate science. So, yes, I form my opinions based on those of what seems to be a consensus within the field. My guess, is that the consensus will be right more often than the outliers.

I also did not see where his religous beliefs fell into what he presented on his blog.

The fact that he is a Christian Fundamentalist suggests that he puts more stock in religious faith than in science. Fine. There are things that I believe and respect more than science. But for matters of science, I'd rather go to the scientists than to him.

ggchuck
2007-Sep-14, 11:28 PM
I point you all (and especially you Phil) to this Blog by a local meteorologist [Craig James] in my area...

http://blogs.woodtv.com/?cat=11It's a pretty long blog. What specific items in the blog are you pointing out?

That's the problem.

He uses his "official blog" on his television station's website to dispute global warming. He does nothing else but that. And everyone who reads his posts believe them completely. I fail to see where the items you mention are the problem. To be 'old school," to lack computer skills, to be liked, to be respected, to be trusted, to be believed, to be focused on an issue, etc. are not necessarily faults. What exactly is the problem you are referring to?

And the worst part? He's a Christian Fundamentalist. Why is this the worst part? Are some points he makes influenced by his religious beliefs? Which points?

He is so entrenched in his own personal (and party line) dogma that he will not listen to dissenting opinions. What dissenting opinion do you feel he has ignored? Is that dissenting opinion relevant to the point(s) he makes in his blog?

I just thought the august people here would like to take this fool on.It would be easier to take on this 'fool' if you pointed to specific statements that you consider foolish.

andyschlei
2007-Sep-14, 11:46 PM
whats the space/astronomy angle here?

Good point. Should this be in off-topic babbling?

andyschlei
2007-Sep-15, 12:14 AM
My point of view is that I run a business and have a very full life. I am not about to take trips out into the ocean taking scientific measurements, nor am I about to spend months or years studying climate science. So, yes, I form my opinions based on those of what seems to be a consensus within the field. My guess, is that the consensus will be right more often than the outliers.

That is a very reasonable approach. But those who don't agree with a scientific "concensus" aren't usually ostracized as long as they stay within the forms of dialogue in the scientific community. The point I was trying to make was that extreme and overstated positions on global warming on both sides, name calling, etc., are making it harder to deal with a real issue.

The fact that he is a Christian Fundamentalist suggests that he puts more stock in religious faith than in science. Fine. There are things that I believe and respect more than science. But for matters of science, I'd rather go to the scientists than to him.

If and only if there is evidence in his writing or presentation that his faith is taking the place of his scientific judgement. I saw no such evidence, and he is a trained meteorologist. I'm certainly not suggesting that you go to him for answers on global warming, just that there is no evidence that his religous faith is affecting his approach to the issue.

Mike M.
2007-Sep-15, 03:44 AM
C'mon , Kevin, where's your guts? You don't need any help from these guys. Come on over to the comment section on Craig's blog so we can play whack-a-mole with you.

captain swoop
2007-Sep-15, 09:22 AM
Good idea.

Serenitude
2007-Sep-15, 09:42 AM
Mike M. - this isn't a forum for misplaced machismo challenges. In fact, I'd like to remind you that I don't see you posting here, and I think we both know why ;) Also, the "whack-a-mole" taunt is a violation of our civility and decorum rules. Don't do it again.

Kevn - the CT section is for Conspiracies, in particular those having to do with Space/Cosmology. Your post is neither a conspiracy nor space related, however much the subject matter may be of interest to the BA. Also, discussion of religion, unless VERY specifically wrt science, is strictly prohibited in this forum. Using "Christian Fundamentalist" as an ad-hominim doubly so. Therefore, thread closed.