PDA

View Full Version : tricked out telescope

planethollywood
2003-Jul-16, 05:49 AM
I'm interested in anyone who has modified and or accessorised their telescopes in anyway outside the norm.

In other words what have done to your telescope to make it do something it wasn't exactly designed for?

Example:
I'm looking to get a night vision scope to fit onto my telescopes camera mount and feed the vision to my computer. Hopefully so i can resolve objects to an incredible level beyond what the telescope can do normally.

or am i crazy?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-16, 05:51 AM
Go somewhere very dark. Very dark. And only when there's a new moon. You might not get blinded. :o

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-16, 11:31 AM
Have you seen the i3piece?

http://www.ceoptics.com/bot_frame.html 8)

mike alexander
2003-Jul-18, 11:51 PM
In other words what have done to your telescope to make it do something it wasn't exactly designed for?

I sent part of my telescope into a spacetime warp. Somehow, between Baltimore and New Jersey the moving company lost my scope tube in Chicago. At least, that's the last place they could locate it.

So, if a white-painted Sonotube with a 4-vane spider materializes in your observatory... IT'S MINE!!!

ChesleyFan
2003-Jul-18, 11:58 PM
I'd like to find a way to use a telescope to view Venus' cloud-tops in UV, so I don't just get a featureless ball when observing.

I also thought it would be cool to get two 8" SCTs, link them up as an interferometer, and then space them at opposite ends of my obersving location...

...then again, I'd settle for the money for just one 8" SCT. :wink:

skyglow1
2003-Jul-19, 12:04 AM
I only have 2 eyepieces and a 2x barlow lens which give me a max of 100x when i use the high power eyepiece with the barlow lense. Being frustarted that I didn't have 200x that was needed to view some objects, I played around with the eyepieces until i came up with a VERY shaky configuration that allowed me to view at 200x It involled holding the eyepiece+barlow lens configuration on top of the other eyepiece. I could view some things like the moon but it was extremly shaky since i needed to hold te eyepiece by hand. It only work on a few things like the planets though.

skyglow1

planethollywood
2003-Jul-19, 05:44 AM
I am interested in useing my scope to view non visible to the eye spectrums of light. WHat have you guys done towards this?

man on the moon
2003-Jul-19, 07:35 AM
I'd like to find a way to use a telescope to view Venus' cloud-tops in UV, so I don't just get a featureless ball when observing.

put a reeeeaaallllly big black light on the next craft headed to Venus...

pmcolt
2003-Jul-20, 04:20 AM
I used to handhold my longest focal length lens way out away from the eyepiece holder so that I could focus on birds feeding on the feeder in my backyard. Note: watching an inverted cardinal peck at inverted seed on an inverted birdfeeder is a good way to give oneself a headache.

I think it'd be interesting to observe in non-visible spectra, too. UV- or IR-sensitive camera mounted to the eyepiece and transmitting to a monitor, maybe? I've no idea.