PDA

View Full Version : Another, "Which one should I get" thread..

Ghost40
2007-Sep-20, 01:31 PM
Greetings all,

I am new to astronomy, I am looking at a new purchase. Currently I am working with Baytronix F500XD 114mm, it came with an okay EQ mount. For my astrophotography I am using an Orion MiniEQ mount, with a EQ1 drive, Nikon D40 DSLR. I am looking to step it up a notch, bearing in mind still a beginner. I was looking at Dobs, as a friend has one, Orion XT8 i think. But as I enjoy looking around the sky, I am also taking a fair amount of pictures as well. If it wasn't for that, I would be going with a 8" Dobsonian.

I am looking at the following two scopes, unfortunatly, but budget only sits at $600-$700. And as it goes, I would like to hear your input.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronnexstar4se.cfm

or

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/meadeetx90peastrotelescopepremiereditionuhtccoatin gsbluetube.cfm

aurora
2007-Sep-20, 02:53 PM
Neither of those is particularly good for taking pictures through. Are you sure you want to demand the ability to do that?

Ghost40
2007-Sep-20, 03:20 PM
Well, that seems to be the thing, I enjoy looking around the skies at night, but I also enjoy the photography. I am more inclined at the photography side of it. I realize that they are completely different monsters. As well, the main type of astrophotography I am looking at is deep sky, not planetary.

Laguna
2007-Sep-20, 03:41 PM
For deep sky you should add a zero behind your budget...

RickJ
2007-Sep-20, 07:38 PM
For deep sky you should add a zero behind your budget...

And that's being conservative!

I don't recommend deep sky photography until a beginner has at least a year of visual experience. The learning curve for that alone is steep, add deep sky photography and it makes El Capitan look like a beginner hill.

The exception is piggy back photography with a simple camera (film is usually the cheapest and easiest) mounted piggy back on the telescope or counter weights. Don't use a camera with a battery to open the shutter as that will cost a small fortune in batteries. On a cold night one can draw down in 10 minutes. Not good if you needed 30 to get your shot or to get the next one if you have to dismount the camera to change the battery.

I'll add my usual advice to find a local club and attend a few star parties before you spend a dime on equipment. Only then will you have enough knowledge to have a reasonable chance of buying the right hardware for you.

Astronomy is a lifetime investment. Treat it as you would any long term investment and you will have a great payback. Jump in without doing your homework and you'll likely get burned.

I'm still using a good scope I bought in 1958. I haven't outgrown it nor is it any less usefull today than it was then. I can't say that about anything else I ever owned, not even a house. In fact I still own 7 of the 8 scopes I ever did own. I sold the one clinker but got the price I paid for it so it wasn't that much of a clinker. Just not one I used any more.

Rick

Ghost40
2007-Sep-20, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have scoped out this site,(no pun intended) and many others. Been doing alot of homework on it lately. I've decided on an Orion SkyView Pro 127mm EQ with out the GoTo which I can add later if need be. Its a scope a few have recommended to me with a decent mount for the price, and I have looked through it a few times as well. I can try imaging through it later after some experience as well.
Unless anyone else wants to make a recommendation on another scope, this is the one I will go with.

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=224027&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=10&iProductID=224027&relateInfo=1&add=yes#tabLink

Heh, after I went to post the link, I noticed its on sale. :lol:

Siguy
2007-Sep-21, 12:16 AM
http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6821&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=7&iSubCat=33&iProductID=6821

If you're going to go with that, this second is even cheaper than the on sale version.

Ghost40
2007-Sep-21, 12:51 AM
heh, good find on that.