PDA

View Full Version : Rocket launched?

nebularain
2003-Jul-18, 04:18 AM
I had the TV on to the Fox News Channel tonight for a little while. Suddenly, the reporter mentioned a rocket was being launched, and the image switched over to the launch. The reporter actually mentioned what type of rocket it was too, and I cannot recall which type it was #-o .

My first thought was, "Why didn't I hear about this on the Board?"

But then it was anounced that the rocket was launching a TV satellite into space. Oh, guess that was why!

But it was neat to watch another launch. :D

freddo
2003-Jul-18, 04:24 AM
YKYABABBAW you hear about a launch and wonder why you didn't hear it here first!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-18, 04:25 AM
YKYABABBAW when you wonder why you didn't post it here yourself!

nebularain
2003-Jul-18, 04:26 AM
:lol: :lol:

Musashi
2003-Jul-18, 04:36 AM
YKYABABBAW when you see a launch and then wonder if it was real because you didn't hear about it here!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-18, 04:41 AM
YKYABABBAW when you use the acronym "YKYABABBAW" in a post! (Or more than one post :o )

Pinemarten
2003-Jul-18, 04:43 AM
YKYABABBA

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-18, 04:44 AM
Welcome to the club! :P

freddo
2003-Jul-18, 05:21 AM
Moved So we don't de-rail (too much :wink: ) (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=116456#116456)...

WHarris
2003-Jul-18, 11:55 AM
I had the TV on to the Fox News Channel tonight for a little while. Suddenly, the reporter mentioned a rocket was being launched, and the image switched over to the launch. The reporter actually mentioned what type of rocket it was too, and I cannot recall which type it was #-o .

Was it the Atlas 5?

CJSF
2003-Jul-18, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know if any of the launch video from the on-board cameras on the Atlas 5 is available on the 'Net? Free of charge? Spaceflight Now has it available for a fee, but no one else seems to have it.

CJSF

logicboy
2003-Jul-18, 12:14 PM
Try here

Atlas V launch (http://www.ilslaunch.com/AV001/)

BigJim
2003-Jul-18, 08:57 PM
To answer the original question here, the launch was the heaviest Atlas yet launched, an Atlas V, launching a Cablevision communications satellite.

nebularain
2003-Jul-19, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the fill-ins!

man on the moon
2003-Jul-19, 11:05 AM
Try hereAtlas V launch (http://www.ilslaunch.com/AV001/)

or here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/07/18/atlas.launch.reut/index.html). logic boy's is the official scientific page place, this one is a bit more of a summary and news report. for details, see his, for the basic story see this one.

beskeptical
2003-Jul-20, 08:37 AM
I had the TV on to the Fox News Channel tonight for a little while. Suddenly, the reporter mentioned a rocket was being launched, ...........My first thought was, "Why didn't I hear about this on the Board?"

But then it was anounced that the rocket was launching a TV satellite into space. Oh, guess that was why!

But it was neat to watch another launch. :D

I was totally amazed when I saw one of those pictures of the little Earth model and the little xxs for all the communication and other misc. satellites that are out there orbiting. There must be thousands! I would have thought maybe a hundred but it looked like thousands.

2003-Jul-22, 07:29 PM
I was actually there! We were staying in New Smyrna Beach which lies between Daytona and the Canaveral National Seashore. We drove the 2 miles to the park and then another three miles further south to the end of the road to watch the launch. We had all but given up on it but then just before the ranger was about to kick everyone out because the park was closing, it went up. There was actually a pretty good sized group down there to watch it.

You couldn't see a whole lot, mainly just a bright white light. But I did get a couple of pictures anyways. The really cool thing is that about 30 seconds to a minute or so after launch, about the time it was reaching the clouds, you could hear a low rumble start that got gradually louder, though still nowhere near loud.

It was awesome though. My first real launch! :-)